Studio Scale Space 1999 Superswift

TazMan2000

Master Member
As if I needed another project...but this is something that I've always wanted in addition to the 44 inch Eagle Transporter which is still on my shelf waiting for painting detail. I'm not sure if the length has ever been nailed down. There are several references in old magazines that don't agree with the length, so I'm using a few known parts to determine the length. For certain it is larger than the large Eagle.

Probably the hardest thing to model is an accurate cockpit section. The mesh geometry isn't perfect, but some sanding will correct that. This section will probably be printed in resin.

Superswift Cockpit.JPG

TazMan2000

I'd really like to see what info you have gathered. I'm going to make a go at one of these soon hopefully. :cool:

Check out my thread on Eagle Transporter.

I'll try and look on my NAS for some rare pics.

TazMan2000

Looks like some parts might be from this architect detail pieces........

View attachment 1437946

Construction Study Kits & Components - ABS Plastic

Yes, 2 Plastruct parts. I ordered them long ago before I got a 3d resin printer. They are buried in my tons of greeblies some place.

Here is a size comparison to the 44" Eagle along with some rough notations. I thought I had the original someplace but that is in a digital pile someplace in my NAS. I have estimated it at being about 59-60 inches (despite my notations below). There was an old interview with Martin Bower in Starlog (I think) where he was quoted in saying it was almost or over 6 feet (I can't remember exact words). This was obviously wrong if the eagle pictured below was 43.25 inches. Probably an honest mistake remembering 60 inches as 6 feet, either that or the interviewer recorded it incorrectly.

Superwift & Eagle.png

TazMan2000

Scifitodd

I believe this is the piece from the Dapol kit. Approximately 189.5 mm long. I bought two complete kits, but probably will end up designing it in 3D and printing it. Pretty simple design, especially if I don't have to bother with the opposite side where all the rivets are.

I'd like to know what the diameter of the tubes are. They look like standard PVC pipes. 1.5"? But if they are from Plastruct, they could be a very specific diameter.
IMG_2580.jpg

TazMan2000

I have searched through my old photos and found these. Sorry they have faded so badly (negs long gone) Model had just been returned to Martin Bower from Blackpool and, as you can see in a very poor condition. Hope they are of help.

Attachments

• 2-27-2011_012.JPG
    2-27-2011_012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • 2-27-2011_013.JPG
    2-27-2011_013.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • 2-27-2011_019.JPG
    2-27-2011_019.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
  • 2-27-2011_023.JPG
    2-27-2011_023.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 254
I have searched through my old photos and found these. Sorry they have faded so badly (negs long gone) Model had just been returned to Martin Bower from Blackpool and, as you can see in a very poor condition. Hope they are of help.
Thank you. I've never seen these before. These help to depict the underside and are very helpful. Also very helpful with the diameter of the cylinders. I have to find my Harrier to measure the part and compare.
I thought the original SS was restored a few years back. Perhaps I'm wrong.

TazMan2000

Thank you. I've never seen these before. These help to depict the underside and are very helpful. Also very helpful with the diameter of the cylinders. I have to find my Harrier to measure the part and compare.
I thought the original SS was restored a few years back. Perhaps I'm wrong.

TazMan2000
I believe you are right about the restoration. If I find any more photos I will post them for you. I took the photos so there is no problem ie copyright. It was so long ago. They were taken in Martins workshop.

I believe you are right about the restoration. If I find any more photos I will post them for you. I took the photos so there is no problem ie copyright. It was so long ago. They were taken in Martins workshop.
You are so lucky that you had the chance to see his workshop.
You wouldn't have happened to take some measurements? HAHA.

TazMan2000

You are so lucky that you had the chance to see his workshop.
You wouldn't have happened to take some measurements? HAHA.

TazMan2000
Sadly all that info long gone. I started to draw the models for Martins records but the time ran out. The ones I drew are now on the ETF

The drawings are in this section. My drawings: Voyager, Sidon Ship, Swift, Altares, Alpha Child, Escape pod, Hope you like them

Attachments

• ETF.jpg
    ETF.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 212

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back