Studio Scale Slave I

Last I spoke to Rich....It's progressing.

Stand bye for more info.

Like anything, these projects arent done over night.

Frank

Update:

For those of you who dont know, FM MODEL CO has taken over this project.

Moe is making masters as we speak.
Once we get everything done and molded, we will do a very limited run of kits.

The kits are for the folks who do not want to buy the EFX repro which will probably also be out.

There is a line that separates MODEL BUILDERS from RETAIL COLLECTORS.

You know which side you are on, so the kit may or may not appeal to you.

Well, I'm a model builder, not a retail collector(except for my MR Falcon), But I Do also want to ask about price. I have come into some coinage as of late, but even then I do have a limit.

My reasoning is: I know I can do a much better paint job on a Slave one over any mass produced replica. But I don't feel it's right to pay retail price on a mass produced item just to repaint it to my likeing. Therefore, I'll take a kit. Should be cheaper, to some extent.

Well, I'm a model builder, not a retail collector(except for my MR Falcon), But I Do also want to ask about price. I have come into some coinage as of late, but even then I do have a limit.

My reasoning is: I know I can do a much better paint job on a Slave one over any mass produced replica. But I don't feel it's right to pay retail price on a mass produced item just to repaint it to my likeing. Therefore, I'll take a kit. Should be cheaper, to some extent.

Cheaper?
Wouldnt it be grand if producing something by HAND in a number less than 20 would be cheaper than mass producing it in a country where they pay you with a less than the US minimum wage. You really think it's gonna be cheaper? Not to mentioned...the EFX..will have all the collectibility value.
I plan on getting one regardless of ours, or anyone elses kit.

I do appreciate your thoughts, and Im not slamming ya. Just consider this:
No matter what price we set...not everyone will be happy.
And to be honest, we could careless if anyone buys one.
The less of a demand, the less we have to make.
Its something, that will not appeal to everyone.
Until we are further into it, and have a better idea of what is involved as far as time..and materials.Discussions on final price are pointless.
It might be 1200...it might be 1800.
We might not offer it publicaly at all.

Ouch Frank. That smarted just a bit.

I'm no expert on casting, but do know exactly what goes into making a GK, and would expect the shape of the Slave one to be a daunting one. I would think someone an ass to complaining to you(or anyone making a GK) about the price of a kit. Anyone that does has no idea what they are talking about. If it were to fall out of ones price range they should politely pass on the kit. I'm sure there would be others interested.

However, if there is no public offering of such a kit, it's all a moot point.

Ouch Frank. That smarted just a bit.

I'm no expert on casting, but do know exactly what goes into making a GK, and would expect the shape of the Slave one to be a daunting one. I would think someone an ass to complaining to you(or anyone making a GK) about the price of a kit. Anyone that does has no idea what they are talking about. If it were to fall out of ones price range they should politely pass on the kit. I'm sure there would be others interested.

However, if there is no public offering of such a kit, it's all a moot point.

Sincerest Apologies for anything taken in "OUCH"
ASCI Text sucks for inflection and intent.
And...regarding your post.
I could not agree with you more my friend.

Im sure we can also agree,....there are Garage kits...and then there are Garage kits. All are not equal in complexity.

Moe keeps sending pic after pic of subassemblies with the Caption....You can "MOLD THIS LIKE THIS RIGHT??"

Its like having our legs tied together in a BATON race.
It takes alot of coordination.

And all this done on opposite sides of the Earth.

As for my comment on cheaper, my reasoning is this.

The EXF xwing was about $1400. Lights up, working wings. Neat. But IMHO, it should have had a better paintjob. And the Luke figure in it stunning. BUT, I could get a Salzo X-wing for $325 and paint it myself. get a Light kit for $150 and still be cheaper. I couldn't bring myself to repaint an EFX.

MR Y-wing. $800 if memory serves? I got a niesen Y for $400. Still ahead some cash.

My mental reasoning is an EFX Slave 1 would run about $1800 to $2200. and If the GK was anything cheaper, or under the $1000 range, it would still be worth it

As for my comment on cheaper, my reasoning is this.

The EXF xwing was about $1400. Lights up, working wings. Neat. But IMHO, it should have had a better paintjob. And the Luke figure in it stunning. BUT, I could get a Salzo X-wing for $325 and paint it myself. get a Light kit for $150 and still be cheaper. I couldn't bring myself to repaint an EFX.

MR Y-wing. $800 if memory serves? I got a niesen Y for $400. Still ahead some cash.

My mental reasoning is an EFX Slave 1 would run about $1800 to $2200. and If the GK was anything cheaper, or under the $1000 range, it would still be worth it

I see your logic.
Some other facts,....
The Ywing "Kit" wasnt that complicated to produce.
And...the fact that SN decided to discontinue them at that price says alot.
Its JUST not worth doing.

And as far as XWING...again. Fairly straight forward kit.
Not easy..but not overly complicated to produce.

Ask CaptCboard wh he got sick of making them..or..ask Mike Salzo.

Those low prices are not realistic to mainting. When you figure,..the cost of your TIME..and MATERIALS....At best...you break even.

Which means the run never lasts very long.

All we do is antipcate the shortess of the run and price everything accordingly.

We took a bath on the EWING..and the MARK VII didnt sell that great
either.

The person incharge of this program...expressed to me.
1500 is probably too cheap. He might be right.
Its his baby...his call. I know, to mold and cast it, I wouldnt do it for less than 1500. We just would not have been interested...we KNOW if its 1000 or 2000 we are probably going to sell the same number.

So we need to see where the COST vs SALES lines intersect.
Thats where Im coming from.

Frank

I see your logic.
Some other facts,....
The Ywing "Kit" wasnt that complicated to produce.
And...the fact that SN decided to discontinue them at that price says alot.
Its JUST not worth doing.

And as far as XWING...again. Fairly straight forward kit.
Not easy..but not overly complicated to produce.

Ask CaptCboard wh he got sick of making them..or..ask Mike Salzo.

Those low prices are not realistic to mainting. When you figure,..the cost of your TIME..and MATERIALS....At best...you break even.

Which means the run never lasts very long.

All we do is antipcate the shortess of the run and price everything accordingly.

We took a bath on the EWING..and the MARK VII didnt sell that great
either.

The person incharge of this program...expressed to me.
1500 is probably too cheap. He might be right.
Its his baby...his call. I know, to mold and cast it, I wouldnt do it for less than 1500. We just would not have been interested...we KNOW if its 1000 or 2000 we are probably going to sell the same number.

So we need to see where the COST vs SALES lines intersect.
Thats where Im coming from.

Frank

which goes back to totally understanding the challenge of that fuselage. By comparison, the underside, wings an cockpit have got to be fairly easy, it's the rest of the ship thats gotta be a pain. And with your expirience with casting, I'm sure thats not a bad estimate.

Another thing I realize with GK: No one's in it for the money, but for a passion for the subject and the understanding that some folks can't scratch it themselves so you do your best to help. Thats what kills me when someone says "But resin is cheap". I've done a bit of casting so I know unless you have a passion for it, don't do it! It's allot of work to get those molds right and then after so many pulls they're shot and you have to make more. reminds me of how another GK seller on the boards gets so much crap for taking so long to come though-BUT he always does.

Sorry to hear about not cutting even on the Vipers. I got one of your Mark 2's and thought it was one awesome kit.

This won't be one of those cheaper eFx models either folks. It's just a hunch, but so far, from what they've released........and due to this things size, it will probably be another signature edition (Bulloch) only and a limited number, which will be close to the price on the MR Enterprise or Falcon. I'm betting it comes with lights and stuff too. It's too big not to do it right. I'm betting if they can swing a garage kit for $1500, you may be getting a bargain.

Dave

Thanks Qrest and Darth,..
Appreciate that!

We are doing our best to maintain accuracy and maximize ease of construction.

One of our problems, is reference for the cockpit area...so if anyone out there has pics of it and is willing to share, let us know.

frankkcerney@yahoo.com

He could have a large pile of cash waiting. People I know with big money to drop on toys ALWAYS ask the price (y)cool.

Perhaps.

It was a poor response to an understandable question.

Humor and saracasm.....do not translate well in text.

Basically, I was saying..dont expect it to be cheap.

However, I think that horse is dead.

The more I read that response, I get the feeling that the costs were turning out to be more than anyone originally planned for.

I'll stand corrected but here's what I have surmised:

Rel was doing the kit and was going to cast it and realised EFX was doing theirs so backed off. I'm sure you guys on the inside of the whole project were like, aww we can do this. You started checking and realized, even with your formidible modeling and casting skills, it was going to be tough so you've passed it on to someone else thinking they could swing it, BUT it's turning out to just be an expensive pain in the ass.

And the LAST thing you want to hear is "Aw you guys didnt try hard enough" or "Thats too much, you guys suck" Etc.

Unfortunatley, no matter how you try and let people down, there's always going to be those who think they are geting BS'd over.

Me? yeah at first it took me the wrong way and usually I dont reply at first since my typing sucks and it's taking me ten m inutes to type this so what I said aboveis paraphrased from what I want to say.

I'm still in if it can be done for 1k, but thats my limit.

and if it can't be done, I totally understand. No hard feelings on my end and hold no grudges against anybody. I'm just another dude around here that appreciates all the awesome work that gets displayed.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back