Studio Scale Slave I

Wow...2 grand. I know that is a steal even at that price and Rel...you do beautiful work. However, this puts a heavy burden on my wallet. I really want the Slave I in S.S....so I'm saving as much $ as I can possibly squander.I don't know if I can feasably put that much aside in a couple short months?That is the real challenge.At least for me.

Well that would be the price if I put at kit out, but there won't be a kit at any price I'm afraid.

Well that would be the price if I put at kit out, but there won't be a kit at any price I'm afraid.

This does you credit really. You would probably sell some at any price, but it is the decent thing to do under the circumstances.

I do fully appreciate the difficulty of tackling the RT as a kit. This doesn't stop me fantasizing about it. :)

This does you credit really. You would probably sell some at any price, but it is the decent thing to do under the circumstances.

I do fully appreciate the difficulty of tackling the RT as a kit. This doesn't stop me fantasizing about it. :)

OK I'll bite - after thinking about it for a minute or two - what the heck does RT refer to?

Jedi Dade

Don't worry JD, I had to think about for some time too, before I figured it out. But it should be a large ESB model with a curved hull. Lots of details, and its not the the Slave 1. First thing i thought of was the Cloud Car, but that had already been done and didn't sound that complex and the initials didn't match. And then the Transport popped into my head.

Great ship, but I can see why it would be difficult to tackle as a studio scale model kit. But if done with nice details and teh correct proportions in a smalle scale, that could be something I might be interested in.

After reading some of the prop threads, I saw some of the guys had luck with using resin as a gelcoat, backed with fiberglass for reinforcement.

So today I did a resin brushcoat, with epoxy fiberglass (10 oz. fabric) reinforced casting.

This process took me all about 20 minutes to do.

slave_r_body01.jpg

It would normally take me about 2 weeks to completely cast up a Slave body, using this technique, it takes me 2 hours. That was the one major reason for not offering a kit of this ship, the time and money involved in casting the body.

With this technique, the body is the easiest part.

I second what Scott said. With the "most expensive and time consuming" part of the ship being at least less time, is there a chance of reconsidering a kit?

Rel,if you use this new technique(I've done it with a small part a long time ago)and it takes a fraction of the time it used to,how much(if at all?) will it drive the price down if a short kit run may be a possibility?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back