Studio Scale Shuttle Tyderium build thread/build quide

I had the same issue many years ago when I built the mpc tyderium, it took me SEVERAL tries to get it right. it would be perfect when I left the room while the paint dried, but when I came back there would be some frackin piece of dust or tiny bug right smack in the middle of the window :angry
I feel your paint brother :)

So the interior is finally ready. Had to go with a Vac formed buck for the canopy. It will require you to spray something like Tamiya transparent smoke on it (on the inside I suppose) or layer in a bit of window tint over it to get the smoke/transparent black effect. I will start at JY thread for the interior soon, but feel free to PM me in the meantime for info. Last pic shows what's in the interior kit, all figures, both rebel and bad guys, 2 part interior and clear canopy. The "head" of the shuttle is not included, you will need to modify the one from your kit. Sorry it took so long, so many projects to finalize before winter.
thanks

mike

007_zpsde317a8d.jpg

010_zps9486e2df.jpg

011_zps5741de0d.jpg

If you're using PETG for the canopy, you might consider dying with RIT or Jaquard iDye Poly. Those look like small enough pieces, they'd be easy to do on a stovetop.

You can pick this stuff up at most fabric stores. If you go the Jaquard route make sure it's the poly so it'll adhere to the plastic. Just boil then dunk your parts in. I did the purple for this little bulb, used to be clear. Works great!

8646679556_f3b9276e1f_c.jpg

They used black vinyl on the original (I think it was solid black, not smoked), but to show the interior a bit I was planning to use (if I ever find the canopy I vacformed 3 years ago :/) smoked/tinted film for car windows !

I thought about the car tint, and even got some. The tricky part of the car tint is that it (usually) has one side adhesive. The backing plastic has various bits of bubbles on mine so the only effective way is to remove it, but then the adhesive picks up all the dust, so it can't be used on it's own, it needs to be married to the vac form canopy. There may be some out there that does not have the adhesive but have not found it.

Either option of marrying the tint to a vac form canopy, painting the vac form with tamiya smoke, or the tip above from Volipin (Thanks it's a fantastic tip!) would work, just none of it is as turn key as i hoped it would be.
mike

They used black vinyl on the original (I think it was solid black, not smoked), but to show the interior a bit I was planning to use (if I ever find the canopy I vacformed 3 years ago :/) smoked/tinted film for car windows !

Mike,

actually I told you something wrong, mine is not vacformed but thermoformed (cant recall if it was PETG or acrylic) with a heatgun and my hands on the plug. The result was a very smooth canopy. I got a trick from a professional when applying stickers : spray soapy water on your item (here the canopy), apply your tinted film then rub it from the center to the outer with a credit card, all the dust will go with the soapy water. No dust, no air bubble, perfect result ! :) (well it was easy when he showed me, I havent tried myself lol)

I thought about the car tint, and even got some. The tricky part of the car tint is that it (usually) has one side adhesive. The backing plastic has various bits of bubbles on mine so the only effective way is to remove it, but then the adhesive picks up all the dust, so it can't be used on it's own, it needs to be married to the vac form canopy. There may be some out there that does not have the adhesive but have not found it.

Either option of marrying the tint to a vac form canopy, painting the vac form with tamiya smoke, or the tip above from Volipin (Thanks it's a fantastic tip!) would work, just none of it is as turn key as i hoped it would be.
mike

Last edited:
+1 for Julien's advice on applying tint or vinyl (coming from a background in vinyl application). We often used Windex instead of the soapy water, just as long as the excess is squeegee'd out to the sides carefully you should be good. If you do decide to go that route, cheap brands of tint will turn purple from repeated sun exposure.

Just got some photos of the interior with the rebel crew from Dan G doing a build up. I know it's not the studio interior but I am think it's pretty cool....
thanks
mike

IMG_3162a_zps922fee5f.jpg

IMG_3159a_zps06353156.jpg

IMG_3158a_zpsfb430f7d.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back