Studio Scale Flying Sub

Robotiki

I bought a hull of the flying sub cast off one of the filming models. It's big, but not huge like my 4 ft Jupiter 2 was (sold that for lack of display space). The fiberglass work was very clean, with only a few places to touch up with bondo. Details on the hatches and back have to be made, which I am scaling up from the Mobius model. For now I will use mirrors for the front windows per the Lydecker flying version, may revisit an interior at some later date. The Aurora model here shows scale.

Most impressive. Congratulations on your find. I have a Teskey FS-1 model which I gather is 2/3rds of the studio models. I read sometime ago that the studio molds were saved when Fox was demo'ing their storage facilities. Was your model perhaps cast from those molds? As for the comments on the 4ft Jupiter 2 castings, I agree 100%...... My four footer is stored in my mother's outside garage. Way too big for an average room.

I looked at the Teskey FS-1 but at the time he did not have any of the detail parts and I didn't want to scratch build anything....so now I get to scratch build those same parts, only larger....lol....

I am told this casting has it's roots from an original in the Greg Jein collection, as does my 3 ft martian war machine. That's the sum total of what I know about it.

I'm not sure about the molds, but I did see the restoration photos of the original wood sculpt, which revealed the original unseen "angelfish" paint scheme.

My Jupter 2 was just a hog. I tried every way I could to make it work in my collection, but it took up more floorspace than my Robby and B9 together. I spent a grand getting the casting tweaked to perfection and another grand on interior parts and fusion core from Jim Key, but in the end, it made way for a smaller (but just as expensive) studio scale Robby land speeder.

I was fortunate to make contact with a fellow RPFer that had worked on this same sub years before I bought it. To my delight, he has most of the parts I need to finish it up. So hopefully in a couple months I can post a picture with all the parts in place.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back