Studio Scale AT AT With Full Animation Armature

I also got some leg details made up.

BIG thanks to swgeek for loaning me his 1/24th Stuka gunner window. I made up a mold and now just need to cast some parts.

fr_3175_size880.jpg
fr_3187_size640.jpg

Also BIG thanks to Ogibendogy for sending me a pack of Universal greeblies. I actually got to glue some parts together! Well, just 5 greeblies to 5 pieces of styrene. But still a nice little break from machining.

fr_3191_size1024.jpg
fr_3192_size640.jpg

I just had to post this from bwayne64's thread.

It's the mother of all Universal greeblies! Which is actually a true statement.

bwayne64.jpg

I had to show that leg mechanics to the wife:p She's not impressed easily by all that "modeling-RPF-stuff" but she went: "Oh...really?":cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: And I said: REALLY!
Mine too! lol. She has become pretty accustomed to the crazy projects I work on but when she saw the leg she said: "that's COOL!"

I may be onto something here. :cool:

Last edited:
Wow ... I really think you've cracked that intricate rubber band and cam technique to move all those lovely created parts ... I take my hat off to you Big C ... well done!

Chaïm

Wow ... I really think you've cracked that intricate rubber band and cam technique to move all those lovely created parts ... I take my hat off to you Big C ... well done!

Chaïm
Thanks Chaïm!
That rubber band was a real head scratcher from the beginning. I think its purpose is to keep the push rod from working loose by holding it down against the cam and leg holes. At least that's what it does really well on my model.

Got almost all the upper leg detail and mechanism parts made up. I was hoping to have all the upper legs fully assembled but I ran out of time and also discovered I was missing the 1/4 inch brass tubing for the pistons. I thought I had some but it was either lost stolen or I never actually had it in the first place. I hate when that happens.

fr_3237_size1024.jpg

I still have 1 Revell 1/53 AT-AT, 1 Bandai 1/144 AT-AT, 2 Round2 MPC 1/100 AT-AT's, 3 F-Toys 1/144 AT-AT's and 1 Tsukuda metal miniature AT-AT cast (see picture) still waiting to be assembled, not to mention an MPC ROTJ 1/100 AT-AT from 1983/1989 . . . meanwhile you, Big C, poop these beautiful metal leg parts out in no-time whatsoever ... in studio scale and fully functioning and operational o_O

AT-AT metal cast 1989-02A.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
I still have 1 Revell 1/53 AT-AT, 1 Bandai 1/144 AT-AT, 2 Round2 MPC 1/100 AT-AT's, 3 F-Toys 1/144 AT-AT's and 1 Tsukuda metal miniature AT-AT cast (see picture) still waiting to be assembled, not to mention an MPC ROTJ 1/100 AT-AT from 1983/1989 . . . meanwhile you, Big C, poop these beautiful metal leg parts out in no-time whatsoever ... in studio scale and fully functioning and operational o_O

View attachment 1676210

Chaïm
That mini cast AT-AT is really cool! I might have to get one of those.

AT-AT metal cast 1989-01A.jpg

Tsukuda Hobby Star Wars AT-AT TESB 1982 mini metal model kit from Japan ... mind you these little gems don't come cheap for their size ... about 8 cm in height, that said with the Tsukuda mini AT-AT you could possibly recreate this picture of another 'studio scale' Imperial AT-AT :

10485820_1454746648127271_1071783966_n.jpg

Picture courtesy ILM - Lucasfilm Ltd.

Chaïm

Last edited:
View attachment 1676231

Tsukuda Hobby Star Wars AT-AT TESB 1982 mini metal model kit from Japan ... mind you these little gems don't come cheap for their size ... about 8 cm in height, that said with the Tsukuda mini AT-AT you could possibly recreate this picture of another 'studio scale' Imperial AT-AT :

View attachment 1676303
Picture courtesy ILM - Lucasfilm Ltd.

Chaïm
Oh no. Now you have me thinking about another studio scale project. All I'll need to do is scale down my CAD, grow my collection of micro end mills and.... Okay just kidding. Well, sort of.
When the current AT-AT is done, I may actually attempt it.

Are there any other images of the tiny walker out there?

Standing on the upper legs! I still have a bunch of little stuff to do. Set screws, here and there, complete disassembly followed by a thorough cleaning and degreasing of the metal parts etc. etc. and reassemble with a couple parts flipped around.

I'm really happy with how it's coming together. Images show how it's looking with the upper legs assembled and mounted to the body mount plate. I've left off the plastic sheet detail parts for now. This thing has lots and lots of parts. And this is only the upper legs!

Next up is proving out the lower leg and knee plate spinner mechanism. Planning to CNC the parts in ABS before committing to aluminum.

fr_3248_size880.jpg

fr_3250_size880.jpg

fr_3246_size1024.jpg

Every machined part, detail part and fastener that goes into four upper legs. This is pretty much every part the originals would have had.

fr_3242_size1024.jpg

All the pretty brass parts for the four legs.

fr_3238_size1024.jpg

Jig for CNCing the 1/4 square brass pistons.

fr_3240_size880.jpg

The 1/4 brass pistons after getting milled on the CNC

fr_3243_size1024.jpg

Pistions after milling and getting the 1/16 brass pin soldered in.

Last edited:
Sweet Jesuso_Oo_O:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: What swgeek said: knowing now what it takes to do such work on the legs makes me doubt my abilities to reproduce such stellar workmanship! I'll just stand back and relax, looking at you and your efforts into engineering the whole thing by yourself;)
You're raising the "Cool Bar" at every update!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back