Strobe Lighting for model kits

DangeRuss66

Hi-- I've got a Shuttle Tyderium kit that I'm going to put together soon and I was hoping to light it. I'll probably use a flourescent tube for the engine, but I'd like to put the strobe lights on the wing-tips too.

I was wondering where to find some lights to use and if anybody could suggest a source? I'm hoping (if it's possible and available) to get the true "strobe" effect, and not just a 'dull blinking' light.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Russell

EDIT--

So, How did I miss Rich's thread on HIS Shuttle Tyderium earlier? Good info there Rich (and everyone else too!). I haven't even opened my kit yet to see what kind of room there is going to be for lighting. From reading Rich's thread, it doesn't sound like there will be a lot of room.

I never paid too much attention before-- after seeing ROTJ, I just assumed the shuttle at the strobe lights on both the leading and trailing edges of the wings? Is that not the case?

I don't know how well this would work, but what about a sealed Xenon strobe inside the body of the model and fiberoptics leading to the wingtips?

Though, IIRC those strobes blink every couple seconds- you'd end up changing the bulb eventually.

icon_smile.gif

I've been poking around with the idea of using 3mm super-bright white LEDs, and some form of timing circuit to get the right 'strobe' frequency.

And the sequence of caps I've taken of the shuttle appearances show the apparent wingtip strobes appearing on either the leading corner OR the trailing corner, totally dependent on the film shot. Really appears to have been added in post-production, and erratically placed dependending only on what looked good for the camera angle.

Try a TRAIN Store.
They sell cool stuff like that in Kits.
Also..try http://www.jameco.com
they sell elexctronics.

Originally posted by rayra@May 4 2003, 04:07 PM
icon_smile.gif

I've been poking around with the idea of using 3mm super-bright white LEDs, and some form of timing circuit to get the right 'strobe' frequency.

And the sequence of caps I've taken of the shuttle appearances show the apparent wingtip strobes appearing on either the leading corner OR the trailing corner, totally dependent on the film shot. Really appears to have been added in post-production, and erratically placed dependending only on what looked good for the camera angle.
[snapback]531386[/snapback]​

Tamiya has put out several sets in the past that would work....

Strobe light set #75005
and #75006

Flasher light set #75001

The only drawback to these now are tat they have been discontinued. However you should still be able to find them out on the market all over the place since they were in production for so long.

Also you could check with Hyperdyne to see if he has a set that would work.

on top of these there are also seveal RC parts mfg's that produce lighting kits for various projects... I've used RAM kits before and they work nicely.

Good hunting...

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back