Stranger Things (Netflix)

Yeah, between folks sitting around bored and enjoying the act of bidding on ebay/collecting, and folks looking for games to play online with their friends, I think it just totally jacked the prices up across the board. It's not just D&D stuff, either. Pretty much all RPG materials, especially old out of print stuff, went up in price. In some cases it went up, like, 100% (e.g., old adventures that went for $10-15 are now $20-30), in others it was less (e.g., books that went for $100 went up to $130-150), but it all went up in price.
It Suprised me a bit as I thought most of today's youths preferred online RPGs.
But she started playing D&D with her friends too!
I guess its a different experience thatvthey sort of missed out on unlike us.
Plus they get into costume too, then again she does enjoy a good Cosplay..

And Stranger Things has certainly opened a lot of curiosity.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, here it is.
B47CF363-459C-44DB-A089-D0D90E5E4964.jpeg

Season three was a real low point for this series for me. Season one was masterful. Season two was solid. Season three just didn’t really do it for me. I can’t really put my finger exactly on why. I didn’t dislike it, I guess I just found it really forgettable. I feel like the nostalgia trip was wearing a bit thin.

So I wasn’t really excited heading into this. I thought the trailers were really “meh.” I honestly wasn’t even sure I was going to watch it.

But man..,

…this is a real return to form. I feel like this is hands down the best this show has been since season one, and in a lot of ways it’s surpassing even that season for me.

I really like the new enemy. Really cool that they took it in a bit of a different direction in that regard.

I also think splitting the group up, both geographically and having Lucas kind of part of a new friend group at the start, was very refreshing.

Overall I’m really enjoying what I’ve seen so far.

Oh…as a side note, my wife has a masters in psychology and criminal justice, so to say she’s very into learning about true crime stuff is an understatement. She was into that before it was “cool.” So the fact that Eddie’s character is based on Damien Echols of the West Memphis Three is something that I’ve really, really liked. Echols, and that case in particular, are things that my wife has told me so much about, so seeing a kind of version of him in the show is great.

Season three was a real low point for this series for me. [...] I can’t really put my finger exactly on why. I didn’t dislike it, I guess I just found it really forgettable. I feel like the nostalgia trip was wearing a bit thin.

So I wasn’t really excited heading into this. I thought the trailers were really “meh.” I honestly wasn’t even sure I was going to watch it.

But man..,

…this is a real return to form. I feel like this is hands down the best this show has been since season one, and in a lot of ways it’s surpassing even that season for me.
I feel like season three was necessary to set up season four. Billy and Max needed to get introduced and have bad things happen, characters needed to evolve and move forward, etc. It was a definite lull, but I could tell even then it was building up to something.

Oh…as a side note, my wife has a masters in psychology and criminal justice, so to say she’s very into learning about true crime stuff is an understatement. She was into that before it was “cool.” So the fact that Eddie’s character is based on Damien Echols of the West Memphis Three is something that I’ve really, really liked. Echols, and that case in particular, are things that my wife has told me so much about, so seeing a kind of version of him in the show is great.
I remember this, and I remember being curious that the kid who disappeared in season one had the same surname as one of the victims -- Byers. That seemed a bit of a stretch for coincidence, and Damien/Eddie lends more credence to that being deliberate.

Watched Chapter 4 for the second time tonight. I tried really hard not to break down at the end this time, but when it got to the montage of Max's happy memories with her friends...I lost it again. This show really knows how to get me haha.

Brilliant episode, perfect sequence. Can't wait for Vol 2 to destroy me emotionally :lol:

I disliked season 3 so much I almost didn't care at all for the new season drop.

Even 90% of the way through the first episode of 4 I was thinking "what is happening here? Why is everyone acting like Jim Varney?"

Then Chrissy died and I was hooked again... and whatever shift happened after that first episode, the rest killed it.

Holy what a great season. Sure I could nitpick, but overall, great!!!

I teared up during Max's little near death experience flashbacks.

It's like the Duffer Bros locked themselves in a room and weren't gonna leave til the whole series made sense again.

I'm genuinely shocked with how many people disliked season three! In my opinion season two was the slowest most forgettable season for me. I remember almost everything from season one and I watched it once over 5 years ago.

I'm genuinely shocked with how many people disliked season three! In my opinion season two was the slowest most forgettable season for me. I remember almost everything from season one and I watched it once over 5 years ago.

I literally shut it off when they started singing "Never ending Story"...

I was that close to the end...

Took me a week to turn it back on, skip ahead a bit and finish it.

And Lucas's little sister just about ruined the earlier bits... She's much less annoying this season... but also in it a lot less.

Max is also much better this season... maybe one of the best characters.

I've been avoiding this thread because i hadn't finished til last night, and it seems every thread i read there's a group trashing it.

I have to say, wow! this is a great achievement for the Duffers. Been blown away multiple times.

This may have created a new category frankly - video book. This reminds me of the difference between a book and movie or tv show. Generally, even in the tv show they cut stuff for time or it's not fitting into the narrative they're trying to go for on TV - or it just makes it too hard in the 40 minute segment(s). Movies, the closest example would be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. 1000 page book, all of it great. Movie cuts it down to 2.5 hours and removes several plot lines to fit in that time frame. The book was so much better. This is like they said to hell with it - we're putting the whole thing on film and we're editing the episodes to whatever length tells our story and deal with it. Everything is there and makes it so much better. Just like chapters in a book, some are 2 pages, some are 50 pages. I recall people complaining big time when episode lengths were announced and while i only looked back a couple pages, i didn't see a single mention of it. They've all been amazing.

To typify this season for me, that guy who's helping Joyce, i've never seen him in anything and liked him (no offense to him, just doesn't work for me), however, in this, he's been awesome.

I love Lucas' sister too. Especially in E7....'They're lying' when talking to the cops all the way to the escape when they're leaving on bikes and she slashes the cops tires :)

Whatever these guys do from here on out - even if it's 'underwater basket weaving the series', i'm watching.

This season has truly gone back to form. The threats feel very real and very present. I think it's the best the show has been since season one. Hands down. Given the length of the episodes they don't feel long at all and when writing a show like this there's always the tendency to add filler. The writing is just stellar and this one is all natural, no fillers. Everything feels necessary and real. I like that the characters are split up and each episode has room to breathe so that it doesn't feel overcrowded. So often with a cast this large writers will shove in scenes so everyone has a chance to shine and it comes off as rush or clumsy. Not here. Each episode only focuses on two storylines on average and it's to the script's advantage.

I love Eddie. He's like a composite of several people I knew growing up. Part of it is his look, part of it is his character and the actor who plays him has some serious charisma. He steals the scenes he's in. Murray is also great this season. I always liked his character and it was nice to see him playing against type in a lot of ways. The fact that his martial arts skills weren't played up for laughs was a welcome surprise. I half expected him to unwittingly take over the plane, but that it would be almost by chance and with a lot of help. I was very pleased that he was actually a badass. That actor is really known for comedic roles and while there were funny moments with him in this show, he also felt like a real person and not just a caricature.

Max was another standout this season. I always thought she brought some interesting things to the show and her whole arc, trying to deal with losing Billy and reconnecting with the gang was handled so well. That actress is going to have a very successful career. She's very, very talented. I also got a bit emotional seeing those flashbacks with her and everyone from the previous seasons. Even seeing scenes from Season 3 (which was the weakest of the series thus far) cut into that montage really hit home and reminded me why I just love this show. The characters are so well written, so well acted. They feel like real people and the stakes are tangible. At any moment, any one of them could be killed and it only heightens the drama.

My only gripe and it's very, very minor, is the new stoner character that's friends with Jonathan. He's not terrible in the show but that actor plays the same character in everything I've seen him in. He's not that funny and while he's likeable enough he's either typecast or he just doesn't have much range. I hope they do him some justice and develop him into a more realistic person by either the end of this season or if he's in the final season. It's not a major issue. I just think he's too much of a stereotype.

July 1st can't come fast enough!

Last edited:
Broke down and got Netflix this morning.
I just couldn't not watch Stranger Things.
Been watching all day. I think I'm on episode 6. Don't even know how many episodes there are in this season.
Unfortunately I have to watch on my phone, but something is better than nothing.
Much better than seasons 2 and 3.

I like that this season has a very clear theme about trauma, and repressed emotions, and repressed memories.
Hits close to home.
The first season had a very clear theme about friendship, but if S2 and S3 had themes, I don't remember them. Did they?
I'll probably rewatch them. May as well, since I'm paying for Netflix again.

So, I loved Season 1. I don't really remember Season 2 that well. What I remember of Season 3 I don't especially love.

To be clear, I enjoy the show overall, but I feel like both Season 2 and 3 were a bit...hmm...meandering. Aspects of Season 3 seemed super out-there (e.g., Russian nuclear test and whatever inside the Starcourt Mall and nobody noticed? C'mon, son.)

What I remember most disliking about Season 3 was the El/Mike/Hopper thing. Really, Hopper's character thru most of Season 3 just felt...off. Too much was played for laughs and too much was focused on him not being cool with El having a boyfriend. It just didn't "fit" with what we'd seen of his character and it was really atonal with the rest of the series and his relationship with her. This season has been much better and feels way more like the Hopper of old.

Come to think of it, that kind of "played too broadly for laughs" thing was a bit part of what was wrong with Season 3. The Neverending Story thing with Dustin's girlfriend just felt a step too far. This season, though, with her family, that felt ok. It was broad as well, but because it's a character we haven't spent a ton of time with, it was a lot more acceptable.

Ultimately, I think what has made Season 4 so much better is that it feels more...balanced. The elements are all in their right proportions rather than aspects being too skewed in one direction or another. There's humor, but it isn't over the top. There's horror but it isn't all bleakness. There's mystery but it isn't incomprehensible. There's conspiracy but it isn't "Oh COME ON you have GOT to be kidding me" ridiculous.

Also, shout out to the foley work this season, which has been absolutely masterful. It's used along with editing to really punctuate the show.

Okay, so... I have questions.

Did 1 really kill all the guards that we saw 11 kill in season 1, or is Vecna messing with her?

I really like..

The Floating Grandfather clock and the off beat chimes..

Takes me right back to watching The EvilDead back in a grim dank late night cinema, you could feel the crackle of fear in the audience and watching it on a projector sent me straight back there.. Lots of Freddy vibes and I swear one bedroom was kitted out like Nancy's room from NOES the synth used did too..

Two more Weeks
Two more Weeks...

Did 1 really kill all the guards that we saw 11 kill in season 1, or is Vecna messing with her?
I dong remember season 1 clearly, but if you mean the ones at the end while with the boys, for sure it was her…

When the show opens I assume that was straight up the demigorgon that came out of the hole 11 made out of Vecna

Also… that’s a pretty convincing shaved head cap on 11… still a bit distracting cuz I know it’s fake and looking for a seam… but good!

The events with 001 happened in 1979, 4 years before the events of Season 1. The stuff in the lab with Eleven and Brenner in s1 all happened in '84.

And just to clarify NeoRutty's comment about the demogorgon, when she sent 001 to the Upside Down, the portal she opened was just temporary. You can see it closed in the wall when Brenner comes in and El turns around. So she still opens the permanent gate in s1 when she makes contact with the demogorgon in the Void, and the demogorgon gets through and does its thing.

Still curious why Vecna waited 7 years before doing anything? Maybe it took him that long to figure out how to reach out... because otherwise youd think hed notice all the times people were coming into his dimension the last few years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back