Stormtropper Helmet - Pepakura

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Alonzo Fonzo, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Alonzo Fonzo

Alonzo Fonzo Active Member

Hi!

I found The Replica Prop Forum about 6 months ago and I am a frequent reader since. I am really impressed about the things you create and I thought its now time to introduce myself with some pictures of my Pepakura stormtrooper helmet which is currently in the bondo-sanding stage :lol

I used the Pep-file from Fierfek´s thread, thanks a lot the file its great!

2. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

looks good so far I'm just finishing up my pep stormtrooper helmet so i feel your pain keep up the good work.

3. Alonzo Fonzo

Wow! Your helmet looks great echo5633!

Here are two more recent pictures. I finished most of the rough work and started detailing. After a layer of primer I realized the left side of the bowl need another thin layer of bondo.

4. superweasle

superweasle New Member

That looks awesome so far, can't wait to see more! I'm busy with an IM suit right now but I'd love to do that bucket as well.

5. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

Thanks i appreciate the compliment. I have a love hate relationship with my helmet I love it and I'm proud of my work but i almost threw it through a wall about 100 times along the way so have fun...... :)

6. Korban

Korban Member

Looking good, Alonzo Fonzo. Yours is coming along great! I'm not looking forward to how long it's going to take me to sand mine. :p

7. Spade

Spade New Member

mine looked like the swamp thing swallowed my helmet Ha! im just waiting for my sander to get here to start shaping it. Good luck on both your builds!!

8. Alonzo Fonzo

Thanks for your comments!
    Yes, all the sanding is sometimes a little frustrating but I am also currently working on a complete fiberglass scratch built biker scout costume, so there is plenty variety. Yesterday I only played around with the lenses and the biker scout belt, not so much progress...

9. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

It's looking very good!

10. Alonzo Fonzo

A small update. I think I am getting closer, but I still have problems to get the symmetry of the face right:unsure

11. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

you've got the main shape/form to it, thats only half the battle though sadly, keep it up

12. Alonzo Fonzo

A small update for today.
    I glued the vocoder in place and reworked most of the mouth area. After countless hours of sanding I still have fun building this thing, maybe I am crazy! :lol

13. rosskow

great work

i spy a scout trooper

14. Alonzo Fonzo

Thanks!
    Yes you are right. I am working on a complete Biker Scout costume, I just finished the belt and Thermal Detonator (Avatar picture).

15. Particle

Particle New Member

I want to make a scout trooper suit myself. I don't know where to start though, can't seam to find much information on building scout trooper costumes. (or storm trooper costumes for that matter) Anyways, the helmet looks great! Ill be following your progress :)

16. maiux

maiux New Member

Me gusta!! nice work!

17. Alonzo Fonzo

Well, I think I get the form approximately right. I am currently working on the surface (removal of all these small holes and scratches).
    Some more layers of primer and spot filler and the helmet should be ready for some white color :lol

18. Alonzo Fonzo

A small update for today. I am finally satisfied with the overall shape of the helmet, its not perfect but not bad either (sorry no pictures yet)

Here are two pictures of the parts I am currently working on, the ear and the bubble lenses:

19. rosskow

Even making your own lenses. Nicely done, but slap up some pictures next time for us to peek at :)

20. Alonzo Fonzo

Ok, ok :lol
    Here it comes:

21. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow , you have done an outstanding job

22. rosskow

gloooossy

looks shiny, looks good, looks promising

23. Decibles

Decibles New Member

That looks amazing! I hope my projects come out half as good as that!

24. Alonzo Fonzo

Wow! thank you guys for the nice comments!
    I am currently breaking my head how I can color the bubble lenses. Using car window foil didn´t work :cry
    Maybe I try a Future/Food color mix (A trick from my aircraft modeler times..)

25. oldskool

oldskool New Member

So awesome!
    Seeing this stuff is inspiring and motivating!

As for the lenses - when you say 'car window foil' are you referring to tinting?
    That's the only thing I could suggest;

I'm guessing any type of paint would probably make it too murky to see out of.
    That's possibly why the builds I've seen have used lenses from glasses and the like :)

26. Alonzo Fonzo

Sorry for my late reply. Yes with window foil I was indeed referring to tinting. I was busy with building a silicone/fiberglass mold. It was the first time ever I built such a big mold and I am sure I made a lot of mistakes for example I used the wrong kind of silicone :thumbsdown

I am not really satisfied with the first copy. Its made of white gelcoat and fiberglass. I think I applied the gelcoat-resin layers to fast, on the dome are a lot of small bumps. :cry

However here is a picture, I hope the second copy gets better:rolleyes

27. rosskow

First time or not, from the picture that looks like a cracking bucket. Dont sell your self short.

28. Ibnzbass4

Ibnzbass4 Active Member

I'm very impressed. I think it looks really good. :thumbsup

29. SpaceCowboy

Great first run; looking forward to seeing the final product!

30. Alonzo Fonzo

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! :$

This weekend the 2nd copy should be finished, I am really eager to finish one of these buckets!

31. Alonzo Fonzo

Finally I found the time to finish one of the helmets. I also found a great way to tint the bubble lenses thanks to the rpf community :love. I used dark green Rit dye, it works great!

32. rosskow

It looks great, paint or decals?

33. Alonzo Fonzo

Thanks. Everything is painted. The blue stripes are airbrushed, the rest is hand painted.

34. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

This is great! It looks fantastic. Always good to see a new source for TK buckets without the mamadrama.

Any links to the dye process? I'd be very interested.

35. Alonzo Fonzo

36. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Much Appreciated!

37. VelzevulGR

VelzevulGR New Member

Hello Alonzo,

Great build! I think you should be very happy with the result of your efforts!

One question, ow did you make the lenses? I've started building on this helmet and I would really like to make my own lenses to fit my helmet!

Thank you!

38. Alonzo Fonzo

Sorry for my late reply:rolleyes

First I sculpted the basic bubble form out of epoxy putty, made a mold and casted it in ceramic plaster (the stuff you can use to cast doll heads).
    Next I vacu formed PET-G sheets over the plaster and tinted it with dark green Rit Dye.

39. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

where did you get rit dye in austria :D
    actually i am curious about most of your materials, as it seems to be a pain to find most of it :D

40. Alonzo Fonzo

Well, I get rit dye from the UK :lol
    A good source, although not really cheap, for polyester resin, fiberglass, gelcoat and epoxy (putty and resin) is Bauhaus with nautic department.
    I ordered PU Resin and Silicon from Germany (again expensive especially the shipping costs)
    PET-G and Polystyrol sheets can be found at stores which carry stuff for architectural modelling

I hope that helps

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  41. SpaceCowboy

Looking great!!