Steampunk Portal Gun

Hell of a nice job. And true steampunk as had been said before.

Thinking through the "How and why" of a build is really where a prop shines. Just like all good scifi, "If we make a couple of outrageous assumptions, where can we sensibly run with it?"

That's what makes this so nice. Congrats on the gun, the boots, the outfit, and the lovely lady to model it all.:thumbsup

First off, I have to say that this is an awesome build! Great idea taking something so recognizable on it's own and making it steampunk. Beautiful work.

You have combined two of my favorite things and done so BRILLIANTLY! Thank you so much for sharing this. Heaven.

Thanks for the positive comments - I enjoyed making it.

Today I discovered this thread hit Reddit, and those guys didn't always have such nice things to say. Two of the general comments specifically (not getting into the bizarre personal attacks) I would actually like to address, in case they choose to come have another look:

1. 'The leather looks bad (or was a dumb choice)' - It was definitely not my first choice; my first thought was nice polished wood for the casings. However, not having the right tools for making wood bend to my will meant I'd have had to find just the right wood pieces, which I didn't end up finding. Plus, I thought an all-riveted-metal looking skin would be too much the cliche' brand of steampunk. I thought of a leather as the basic 19th-century skin of choice much as plastic is here in the 21st.

2. 'It looks unfinished' - Probably my lack of awesome materials and working tools; I did pretty much everything I could given what I had available. I would have done quite a bit more refining of the final piece if I could've.

Bah - don't listen to those comments. Unsavvy internet trolls are always looking for someone to tear down from the safety of their keyboard.

Bah - don't listen to those comments. Unsavvy internet trolls are always looking for someone to tear down from the safety of their keyboard.

Hey, I welcome the stuff that could potentially be constructive criticism! Anything that forces me to be better with the next build! :cool

Haha ... yeeeeeeeeah. I just read through some of the comments on reddit ... very little constructive criticism going on there, mate.

Haha ... yeeeeeeeeah. I just read through some of the comments on reddit ... very little constructive criticism going on there, mate.

Sure, but the comments mentioned above I thought were reasonable complaints that I might well reply to. I'm not a reddit user, though, and didn't bother signing up there just to reply to one or two things.

I think your gun is amazing! The only suggestion I have is if you plan on going back to it, make the leather darker. I felt it was too light. Other than that, I'm super jelly that you thought of this before I did. Awesome job!

I think your gun is amazing! The only suggestion I have is if you plan on going back to it, make the leather darker. I felt it was too light. Other than that, I'm super jelly that you thought of this before I did. Awesome job!

Thanks - I wanted to go a little darker and more golden-brown with the leather, but couldn't find any that didn't look really awful (or like the footbally stuff I made the logo out of). The tan was the softest and "nicest" I found, plus with the original being white, I figured it'd be an OK counterpart.

I loved the Portal games! This is a very nice take on that. The only suggestion that I would say is to stretch the leather, or soak it first so you can stretch it over intended shape. That would lessen the wrinkles that you have. Still an awesome job!

Amazing build its pretty spot on aside from the steel braided cable as they wouldn't have that. But thats not really even important as the entire build is epic. Wood would be nice but as you said the proper tools and abilities are not easy to come by not to mention if it was wood it would be pretty heavy.

Hey! That version of "The Device" is amazing! I love it!

May I enquire as to what you used to seal the florists foam? Clear paint would be my guess...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back