Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Carving Detail Lines Video

Ok, I started in on the nose armor. These are the two pieces that are attached to the faceplate.

Here is a serious close-up where you can see the plates AND the rivets...
7529233206_32f109728c.jpg

Here is the 3mm EVA foam that I've cut and glued onto the faceplate.
7523325470_f963ea737d.jpg

Unlike my failed attempt to do this before, THIS time my plan is follow XRobot's process of hardening the foam with PVA (white glue) and two-part plastic resin.

I started with two coats of PVA glue (just generic white glue) - applied with craft brushes.
7523324008_7949f40c74.jpg

Next step will be to paint on at least 2-3 coats of Smooth-Cast 300 resin.
7523322520_0f5ce9dd1d.jpg

(You'll have to PM Digitizit for more info on where he got his supply online - I'm borrowing his supply for this)

BUT, before I get too much further I REALLY need some opinions on faux-rivets...

I picked up some tiny rounded 'gems' from the craft store as my first option.

They are small, maybe that's good & maybe that's bad... However, they are very high-domed for their size - which I'm not crazy about. Here's some pics of what they look like on the faceplate...
7529381872_fdc9df2844.jpg

7529378500_b0eed5f166.jpg

So, I also got a package of brass fasteners. I cut off the back prongs and set them on the faceplate for comparison. I like the shape of these, but the diameter seems too larger. Here's what they look like...
7529212416_d0ffec9d12.jpg

7529022710_d74b7a82c2.jpg

I know it might be hard to tell (since all the parts are not the SAME COLOR), but I need some feedback...

What do you think? :confused

Is there something ELSE out there that might work better as faux-rivets?

All feedback is welcome! :):thumbsup

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Need faux-rivet Feedback!!!

I like the brass fasteners, Remember steampunk makes everything more pronounced so a larger rivet is the way to go IMO.

Edit: Have you tried real rivets? just cut off the ends. They come in all sorts of sizes so finding one you like shouldn't be hard.

Have you tried real rivets? just cut off the ends. They come in all sorts of sizes so finding one you like shouldn't be hard.

I saw real rivets on sale a couple places (and I agree with the higher degree of size selection), but I couldn't immediately identify how I could cut the heads off smoothly and be left with a flat surface on the back of the heads...

But the 'size' of the larger fasteners doesn't bother you at all?

Obviously, these won't be as accentuated as they are in these pictures once they are all painted the same color (in this case gold).

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Same here big rivets will lay extra accent on the steampunk look of the helmet.

Thanks guys! I was 'leaning' toward the larger ones but just couldn't dive into it. It's AWESOME that you all chimed in with your thoughts - It make me MUCH more comfortable about the choice!

You guys are great! :):thumbsup

They make aluminum rivets for fixing canoes and other aluminum projects you could grind off all but a nub to glue them into a pre drilled hole... A little work, but they have domed and flat head/flush rivets for airplane skins as well...
or Joann fabrics for small buttons?

They make aluminum rivets for fixing canoes and other aluminum projects you could grind off all but a nub to glue them into a pre drilled hole... A little work, but they have domed and flat head/flush rivets for airplane skins as well...
or Joann fabrics for small buttons?

Hadn't thought of buttons! I'll check that before snipping off lots of brass tabs! :lol

Here's what the faceplate looks like after a couple coats of Smooth-Cast.
7531907300_ccc98b19ce.jpg

While that dried, I got to work on one of the other elements I'll need soon... piping!

I pulled up the .obj file that the helmet Pepakura file was based on and started to construct a new object for the duel-piping at the cheeks of the helmet. The plan is to have my model 3D printed (and then manually detailed).

I have a great deal of respect for the person that modeled this helmet. With just a simple front and side view of this piping, he/she was able construct something that closely matches elements of both the front and side views (which don't exactly match up with each other in the artwork). The front seems to have much smaller piping set much closer together than the side view shows -- I'd argue they show completely different piping personally.

So, while I made some changes to their design I wanted to totally give the original helmet modeler some serious props... They did a great job with this artwork.

Here's my piece (pink) quickly pasted into the original 3D helmet model.
7532884718_45cc7532fa.jpg

7532884626_4bdbf6210f.jpg

We'll see if this thing will print... and then size-check it on the helmet. :):thumbsup

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - First Look at 3D piping

Haha, yeah, that modeller was a real savoir. I put up a request of 4chan's 3D thread, in about 2 days I got that.
It's coming along VERY nicely. Better than my crude attempt. You considering doing casts of it at all?

Haha, yeah, that modeller was a real savoir. I put up a request of 4chan's 3D thread, in about 2 days I got that.
It's coming along VERY nicely. Better than my crude attempt. You considering doing casts of it at all?

Modified for not, I'd certainly buy them a drink for all the help that reference model has been! :):thumbsup

And you shouldn't beat up your work! You're the first and only person so far to have built one of these and it looks pretty good (from your profile picture). I'm certainly glad you posted the cover artwork by Gerald Parel when it came out - as that's where I saw it for the first time!

Regarding casting it... Yes, we've discussed it and might start an Interest thread once the helmet has a few more details added (rivets, nose-armor, ear area done, etc). Since I don't possess professional roto-casting equipment, I've worked with Digitizit to find someone that can create top quality roto-casts of the helmet and faceplate.

As a disclaimer, I've never offered anything for sale on RPF before. And if I do post something in the Junk Yard, I want to make sure it's the BEST it can be... I respect the fantastic quality of the builds here and deeply value my fellow craftsmen. I just want to make sure that anything I post over there is something I'm proud of and that the casting process is top notch.

IF I'm convinced of both, then I'll get something posted there and let everyone know it's up. :):thumbsup

This is one of a couple threads that really drew me back to therpf after a long hiatus. Your helmet is is turning out beautifully and I can't wait to see this thing finished. As far as the rivets, the brass looks like the better solution, but I don't know if that's just because it's brass or the shape. The eyes can play tricks like that. I think somewhere in between the gems and the brass would be perfect. Are the "gems" plastic? Can they have some depth ground off of them? The gems even have that hand-hammered surface look to them, if not a little too gem patterned.

Indie, i've been recievin' updates ta my phone on your progress lovin' what ya have done so far brah. brass is definately th' way ta go on th' rivets like everybody else has chimed in on.:cool:cool

What do you think? :confused

Is there something ELSE out there that might work better as faux-rivets?

All feedback is welcome! :):thumbsup

Just another option: I used thumb tacks for the rivets on my Fallout armor
100_4656.jpg

Just another option: I used thumb tacks for the rivets on my Fallout armor

That's a good solution as well!

I actually have some domed thumb tacks my wife recently used to refinish some chairs. The ones she used are about the same 'size' as the brass heads I have in the picture (maybe a little bit bigger around).

I definitely feel comfortable now with the scale of the thumb tacks and/or brass fasteners - thanks to all the feedback! I just love this forum! :):thumbsup

Are you going to use copper fittings for the tech on the side of the mask? Copper a/c coil tubing and elbows look just about that scale...
Just a thought

Are you going to use copper fittings for the tech on the side of the mask? Copper a/c coil tubing and elbows look just about that scale...
Just a thought

Nice thought! I hadn't even considered something like that -- although it might be a good solution! After looking at several hardware stores for something 'off the shelf' that might work for the main 'U-shaped' tubes, I had sorta given up on making with parts I found and moved to something far easier...

I'm planning to have the main tubes shown in the reference drawings 3D-printed (in ABS or PLA plastic). That will provide me with exactly what I want regarding their unique shape... then we'll just have to do some basic detailing/sanding and paint it to look metal. That seems like the easiest solution to me - and I can move on to some of the other detail parts! :):thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back