Starting on cheap armor

JT, I noticed folded towels so you must be somewhat domesticated. ;p

UPDATE:
While getting ready to recycle a 2 litre soda bottle I thought to myself, "Hey that might work..."

So I finally went and found my Dremel. My Dremel is a few years old and, and I know this is blasphemy here, has never been used. Until tonight. I cut out a rough shape for shoulder armor and then made sure the cardboard could wrap around and it can. Now to borrow some binder clips from work and pick up some superglue.

Here is a pic:
2011-07-28191847.jpg

UPDATE:
While getting ready to recycle a 2 litre soda bottle I thought to myself, "Hey that might work..."

So I finally went and found my Dremel. My Dremel is a few years old and, and I know this is blasphemy here, has never been used. Until tonight. I cut out a rough shape for shoulder armor and then made sure the cardboard could wrap around and it can. Now to borrow some binder clips from work and pick up some superglue.

Very clever use of scrounged resources.

That is why I have always liked budget scratch-builds more than the professional-level stuff. The level of improvisation and imagination I see from scratch-builders is always amazing.

Thank ya. I used the bottom of the bottle to hold my water/glue combo. If something does not have to be wasted... why waste it.

So how is this for improv? I wanted the tube that will hold my caster to be attached to my armor and wanted a little hill there to have a gradually rising effect. I am already tall and I hope that little things like this will enhance how tall I am.

While eating out with some people I get together with I noticed that the peanut carriers were about perfect so I grabbed two of them.

2011-07-28205017.jpg

Now I do not know whether I am going to try and use these as molds or just reinforce them with glue and foam. Probably reinforce with glue and foam. Shame my ex is my ex, I think he would have loved this project and I definitely could have used some of his help.

So how is this for improv? I wanted the tube that will hold my caster to be attached to my armor and wanted a little hill there to have a gradually rising effect. I am already tall and I hope that little things like this will enhance how tall I am.

While eating out with some people I get together with I noticed that the peanut carriers were about perfect so I grabbed two of them.

Ahhh, the instincts of a true scrounging scratchbuilder.

My first plasma caster was made from a toilet paper tube, a piece from a Christmas wrapping paper tube, some swizzle sticks, some bamboo barbecue skewers, a piece of vacuum cleaner hose, and two Pringle's can lids. And I inserted a tube with a blue LED light and a battery. It's the caster pictured in my avatar and my sig.

Then I did a caster from a modified Iron Man shoulder rocket toy, and another caster from a PVC tube and foamies, then added backpacks to both that were made from metal air conditioning conduit from Home depot.

Photos here:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...s+plasma+caster

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...s+plasma+caster

Lflank, I had actually read that thread a couple of times. That caster turned out really nice.

I am currently building a second caster out of: a heavy paper advert that came in the mail, two juice lids, old prescription bottle, painter's tape, and leftover pieces of cereal box.

And yes, those little peanut holders are just thin cardboard. Picked them up from a 5 Guys.

I am currently building a second caster out of: a heavy paper advert that came in the mail, two juice lids, old prescription bottle, painter's tape, and leftover pieces of cereal box.

Can't wait to see it. Post some "in-process" pics.

I have not had much time to work on anything but I do have a final design in mind for the bio and have the base color paint that I plan to apply either this Sunday or next week. Pics right after.

I absolutely love these builds, it is a testament to human ingenuity to see how you have turned ordinary everyday objects into something completely different
I'll have to stalk this thread from now on ... :)

the soda bottle, the peanut carriers from 5Guys,
i mean this is where some of the greatest stuff thats Predator is made....
Yes i love all the sculpted, molded, casted and painted items,
but when you see a scratch build like this that costs pennies on the dollar,
or nothing at all its like < whoa, this person really has a talent for making stuff come to life with ordinary everyday things...

and that is why i will be a member here for life,
the love we all share for such an expensive hobby is by far the same love we all show each other when it is a full exact replica of P1,
or that budget build that is in the P1 style...

bottom line,
Keep up the great work Val this is really looking good!

I have made my first costume out of cardboard, covered in masking tape and then coated in PVA glue. I then painted them by hand, it worked well for me here are some armour pictures

AVP chest armour - front

IMAG0217.jpg

Backpack

IMAG0218.jpg

Plasma canon

IMAG0219.jpg

Bio

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
we , the budget builders, might not be good at sculpting like some of you Artist are but we try to make the best with what we have or can find !!! i work in a garage full of trucks And i walk around everywhere just looking for stuff i can transform into armour or weapons for my suit and now im doing my daughters too so im very busy looking for stuff. thats what makes the lair so special , the fact that most guys all the way from the most senior members to the newest , we can give each other ideas and support on everything that has to do with predator stuff!!! love this fu king place!!!

Update!

2011-08-14200952.jpg

2011-08-14201003.jpg

OK, the paint came out a bit darker than I expected but it is still wet right now. Come tomorrow morning I should have a better idea of the final color. How dark it is will determine what color I will use for the octagons and the starburst from the one eye.

I read on one of the other threads about using Q-tips in the holes for the LEDs. Worked like a charm.

Hi! Still alive!

OK. I decided to start the basic painting of my bio. When the base layer dried it looked awesome. Plus it is textured. So next up is adding the small details. This is kind of a sketching out process. I figure if I screw it up too badly I can add another layer of the base coat.

So, human woman who ended up being trapped with preds. With some base materials how would her bio look?

First up I applied the cutouts to the bio again and sketched around them using one of those fabric glitter paint pens.

2011-08-28181613.jpg

2011-08-28181624.jpg

Next I used some cheap touch up paint for a Toyota vehicle. In blue. I wanted something that would stand out without really beating you over the head. I used the brush for this and it did not come out great but I think it looks similar to what I could expect from the character in her circumstance.

2011-08-28183000.jpg

2011-08-28183014.jpg

2011-08-28183028.jpg

One eye is going to be different so I painted in and around it and then followed the channel from the eye to the back of the bio.

2011-08-28184343.jpg

2011-08-28184336.jpg

So that is what I have so far. Going away on vacation soon and I hope to take my peanut containers and foamies with me for a bit of night time distraction (I do not do well with a lot of people being around and there will be a house full of people that I do not really know so that part of the project will be my shield and shelter.).

I was invited to DragonCon this year but had to pass. However, I am thinking it would make an excellent first hunt for me next year.

Please, please let me know what you think. I am not done with the design and plan to use some silver and black for highlights and lowlights.

Forgot to add that the movie at the time was, "The Punisher". The one with Tom Jane not Dolph Ludgren (although that has a special place in my heart too). Magazine under the bio was the US Womens National Soccer Team program and random background books were on Eastern philosophy, The Crow, and how to make Steampunk jewelry (plan to use some of the lessons to make some add ons to the costume).

Looks good! I need to post pics of my custom armor/ cannon/backpack....made from foamies,a juice bottle,foam board,and backer rods.I figured since they hunt xenos,I made the chest armor look like it was made from a xeno ribcage.
Can't wait to see your outfit finished!

Looks good! I need to post pics of my custom armor/ cannon/backpack....made from foamies,a juice bottle,foam board,and backer rods.I figured since they hunt xenos,I made the chest armor look like it was made from a xeno ribcage.
Can't wait to see your outfit finished!

Dude, thats sounds awesome, you need to get some pictures posted. Loving the idea for the chest armor.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back