Starship Troopers - MX-90 Fragmentation Grenade Replica

626AM

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The progress we have made on the M3 tactical helmet has inspired me to try another item: the Mobile Infantry's frag grenade.

There were so many variants of this used throughout filming it is hard to say what is a definitive hero piece. I won't try to ID them all, but I scanned a hero resin grenade that has a working spoon. However, the spoon on the grenade I scanned is plastic with raised rectangular details, while the hero spoons, like the one on the grenade Rico uses on the tanker bug, is metal and smooth, with no raised rectangles. While less detailed, this seems to be as "hero" as the design was ever intended to be, so that is the look I am going for.

Like the helmet, I plan to model an idealized grenade, using the scan for reference.

Most of the hero grenades come with a retaining ring that holds the spoon in place. These were poorly designed and I have never liked them. I may model one anyway, but I want to find a better way to make the spoon stay in place since the retaining ring won't fit well in the grenades pouches.

I have seen grenades with a spring-top, grenades with a fly-off spoon feature. I want to try to combine those two features as well as find a way to make the spoon stay in place, without changing the outside appearance. I have a plan. We will see how it goes.

Here are pics of the base scan I will be using as a guide.

starship-troopers-mx-90-fragmentation-grenade-scan.jpg

There are two types of spoons on these grenades. The true hero grenades had smooth metal spoons, similar as to what was posted above, but the more common A-grade and foam grenades have a spoon with small raised rectangles. We went ahead and modeled both as the shape is slightly different between them.

starship-troopers-mx-90-fragmentation-grenade-model-2.jpg

Testing out the mechanics of our Mobile Infantry MX-90 Fragmentation Grenade prototype. The originals had a rubber ring to hold the spoon in place but those don’t fit in the pouches very well. The early part of this video shows us testing the spoon’s ability to stay in place until the firing plunger is depressed flipping the spoon off. Watching the spoon fly away is fun no matter how many times we do it!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back