Stark Medical Scanner

Starmind001

I have just finished an Iron man 2 prop, the Stark Medical Scanner. I am calling this a finished prototype. There are flaws, but I wanted to show off a bit.
Hope you all enjoy!
IMG_20190526_155955.jpgIMG_20190526_160004.jpgIMG_20190526_163335.jpgIMG_20190526_163427.jpgIMG_20190526_163503.jpgIMG_20190526_163513.jpgIMG_20190526_163516.jpg

Thank you! I have been working on a new circuit for the leds and doing a redesign on the top and bottom. In the movie there is no seam one the side, so I have moved seam to the bottom back.The bottom is more like an insert now.
Something a noticed when I made the scanner is that the leds lit up everything, so made some stuff to direct the light only in the direction needed.
Hopefully, after this I can mold it and make a resin casting or even a metal casting.

Here is a little peak at v2.0. You can see I have made the design a bit easier to mold later and removed the seam. The plate between the bottom and top is the screen. Currently working on the circuit board design that I will etch at home.
2.0.png

Maybe look into using an OLED and a Arduino Pro-Mini or something.. can control all your leds/lights.. as well the TEXT

Maybe look into using an OLED and a Arduino Pro-Mini or something.. can control all your leds/lights.. as well the TEXT
I have looked into doing just that, but problem is the display is a bit smaller than what is out there. As far as the pro mini, I was trying to keep the cost down. LEDs are on a delay after the button push.
Since the display is odd, I could make a led matrix display using micro leds and a pro mini. That way it can be changed with text. Good idea! Little more r&d, but may be worthwhile.
Did you brush paint the silver finish or use a spray can?
Spray paint. It doesn't look that great in those pics above, mainly due to me being in a hurry when I painted them. It started raining so touching wet paint is a no no and ruins the finish. smh

I have a question for all of you.

What would you all prefer?

A 3d printed kit(print lines and all)/wo electronics?

A 3d printed kit(print lines and all)/w electronics?

A resin kit/wo electronics?

A resin kit/w electronics?

A metal kit/wo electronics?

A metal kit/w electronics?

A finished 3d printed item?

A finished resin item?

A finished cast metal item?

Now, I ask all these questions to see what everyone might want. I love kit versions, but that's my preference. Love to hear what you all think.

I'm not clear what you meant by this:
"I have looked into doing just that, but problem is the display is a bit smaller than what is out there. "

Are you saying the window/display areas is smaller than the screens available?

There are MANY OLED screens out there.. I'm not currently sure of your window/space opening size though..

Re: Pro-Mini
I dont think $3.00USD would really make or break any budget.......does it? :)

You could still make a custom pcb with SMD leds on it... I would suggest using a MAX7219 chip to drive/control the leds (daisychainable and can control 64 leds with one chip).. I used them before for counters...and what not.. Simple to use, and cheap.

My vote:

I NEVER (ever) want a 3D printed item and my final product.. *(great to use a base.. and for molding/casting..etc.. but not as a final product)

So resin or something with a more polished/professional look for sure.

* I personally dont need electroincis though! :)

Are you saying the window/display areas is smaller than the screens available?
Yes. I ordered several from amazon and a few other places and it seems that I will be building one using the leds. Not hard to do, but I was hoping for something close. I will build a test leds display and just order a board based off my circuit.

I was think cold cast myself or bismuth casting. Aluminum is possible, just have to see where I go from the display.

What are the window dimensions you need to work within?

I suppose a bit bigger wouldnt matter either.. as you just crop/mask whatever the opening doesnt display..

individual leds would work too....
simple MAX7219 chip and up to 64 leds... (can also be daisy-chained as well)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back