Stargate Atlantis hanging crystal display help requested

FrozenGnomes

Looking to replicate the hanging crystal display thing from Atargate Atlantis. see picture

normal_atl_115_658.JPG.jpg

The issue is that the other references I have for it aren't very clear, all screen caps similar to this one and this white background version of it that's nearly impossible to see the designs on the crystals

7906892_1_x.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help with how to extract useful designs from it so I can get a file made to send off to a laser cutter, or if anyone has some more useful reference images besides the ones I have provided. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if I have used this forum incorrectly!

You could try taking that image, and other similar ones, into an imaging editor like Photoshop and boost the contrast to see if you can't see the design more clearly.

I've had a go myself from the images you attached, but at that low resolution you don't get anything that's too useful - and even seeing the individual crystal shapes is hard enough.

The problem you'll also have is that they are made up with several layers that all have patterns on, criss-crossing over each other. So almost impossible to create something accurate without seeing each of the crystals separately.

I would look at some of the individual crystals available, and the patterns they used on those, and create your own following the same rules for each layer. It won't be screen accurate but it would look pretty close.

Any development on this? I've got a client who's interested and there's very little info out there (as you've already stated of course) Thanks in advance

Not as of yet. This was to help out a friend of mine, and they've comissioned a laser cutting place to do this for them, so I'm not quite sure of what the accuracy will be. I'll try to remember to update If/when I get the results.

I too have hunted for this in years past. I don't think it exists, sadly. If only you could find the person who bought it from the PropWorx auction. I even went at the PropWorx sale PDF will all the fancy tools I had left over from working in the print industry, and there just isn't good data there. On the plus side, most of the show's crystal designs are heavily inspired by simple circuit board patterns. So you could probably make a passable stand-in fairly easily.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back