Stardestroyer Scratchbuild rookie

Looking spiffy Stormtripper!:) What kind of glue are you using btw?

Thank you very much Joberg :) I use a product called Testors, it is a little black container with a black label. I actually react to some of the different types of glue, and that has been a problem. even though I have ventilation and a fan running it is still bugging me. Some of the large structures are put together using styrene dissolved in acetone (nailpolish) that has welded the structure with fine results.

Please advice If you have a good alternative to the "chemical" glue :)

I'm pretty sure that I didn't write it, but I can give testimony to it. I'm sure that everyone who decided to build this project has a model on the shelf that was worth the time. The amount of modelling skills will certainly increase on ones self once a project like this is finished. So there are two gains there.

Super Glue, which is a trade name is basically Cyanoacrylate, however there are several products that are using Superglue along with their brand name. Some but not all are CA based.

If you're using CA, it can be an irritant to eyes, lungs and skin. I myself have developed an allergy to it, but if I wear a respirator with a proper filter for fumes, it helps a lot. Ventilation, is important, but you can't always keep a room ventilated and you can't always wear a mask. There are some glues that don't have as much of an odour, but still have fumes, so you may want to experiment with different types of glue that Scratchy has mentioned.

TazMan2000

Super Glue, which is a trade name is basically Cyanoacrylate, however there are several products that are using Superglue along with their brand name. Some but not all are CA based.

If you're using CA, it can be an irritant to eyes, lungs and skin. I myself have developed an allergy to it, but if I wear a respirator with a proper filter for fumes, it helps a lot. Ventilation, is important, but you can't always keep a room ventilated and you can't always wear a mask. There are some glues that don't have as much of an odour, but still have fumes, so you may want to experiment with different types of glue that Scratchy has mentioned.

TazMan2000

I kind of worry I got myself in similar situation when It comes to reacting to the glue fumes, and I agree that you can open windovs and ventilate all you want, but it still hangs in the air. Most of my structures on the stardestroyer is glued. However ! I found a method of gluing the small detail pieces without the irritation from chemicals.
I used the same glue as you would use doing "decoupage" Im not sure if that Is word you use in English :$ but it is basically a glue varnish you brush on colored paper and make other paper pictures stick to out. The glue look and feels like wood glue, its thick and white and it does a good job when you add the small details and it hardly smells. Another bonus to it is that it slow dries so that you that can make sure your details sit nice and strait.

I kind of worry I got myself in similar situation when It comes to reacting to the glue fumes, and I agree that you can open windovs and ventilate all you want, but it still hangs in the air. Most of my structures on the stardestroyer is glued. However ! I found a method of gluing the small detail pieces without the irritation from chemicals.
I used the same glue as you would use doing "decoupage" Im not sure if that Is word you use in English :$ but it is basically a glue varnish you brush on colored paper and make other paper pictures stick to out. The glue look and feels like wood glue, its thick and white and it does a good job when you add the small details and it hardly smells. Another bonus to it is that it slow dries so that you that can make sure your details sit nice and strait.

I'm familiar with decoupage, and that's the name we call it here in the Americas, but some may also use the name, 'paper tole'. I've worked with that thick white glue before, but I don't like having to wait so long for the glue to dry. I've had stuff that I've glued on perfectly, then I walk away from my project for a while and gravity causes shifting of the pieces. You can get CA in different thicknesses (viscosity) and in some cases different cure times, but I like CA because you don't have to hold the part in place for ages until the glue sets. Mind you that can be good and bad. Sometimes the pieces bond faster than you would like and breaking then off again, while easy, can leave residue and make your project look a bit messy.

Yes, CA fumes do tend to hang in the air for quite some time. Winter here is the worst because you can only leave the window open for so long before you freeze. :lol

TazMan2000

After some friendly advice on this forum I decided to throw away my engines and make some new from plastic eggs. To begin with I wasnt quite happy with the idea when I noticed how difficult it was to cut them staight, but it turned out great and im pleased with the result. Im thinking of adding extra details on the entire ship, seing the other destroyers in here is very inspiring :)

As you can see I had som problems with Light leaks and I fixed that with black paint. The rear is not finished at all, I just could'nt wait to light up those engines :-D
I wish everybody that passes my thread a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 96
I must be the slowest builder on Therpf :lol But im trying to keep up with my own ambitions of completing it before this summer. I spend more time in here seing all the other fantastic builds, than making sure my thread is updated with my progress.

I have painted the inside black to prevent light leaks and started to concentrate on the bridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 78
image.jpg

I couldnt help myself, I just had to see how the optic fibres behaved, so I took a small LED and lit some of the stuff up and it put a big smile on me :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 71
I have done the primer job on most of the structure. I still need to do alot more on the paintjob but I fell good with the progress so far. The scribing still doesnt show that much but I cant wait to do the weathering and I dont know what it is about primer, but I just love it maybe it because the first layers really show where things things at going yeeaa or maybe its just me who is weird ,, Anyway ! I've posted some new shots of her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 74
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back