Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Side note: I hate the notion of "Oh, let's get someone 'ethnic,'" which just means "non-white." It's one thing to want to be inclusive. It's another to use exclusive language in the pursuit of inclusivity.

Interesting. I'd expect some degree of a time jump (because otherwise, it's like "Hey...where'd the General go? She was JUST here, like 5 minutes ago..."), but I still could see this trilogy NOT resolving all of the events set up in TLJ, and instead opening up a new trilogy that really showcases a longer war.

I agree with you, Dano. But be careful, lest some leftwing loon's liable to call you a racist.

Actually, that's much more left-wing of a sentiment than it might seem at first, since it operates from the view that categorizing anyone who isn't white as "ethnic" is already operating from a position of "white" being the default/standard...which is kinda racist.

BUT WE DIGRESS.

I think including a time-jump this time is a good idea, provided that JJ doesn't leave a crapload of unanswered questions (a.k.a. "MYSTERIES -- OOOOOOOOOOH DON'T YOU WANNA FIND OUT WHAT THEY AAAAAARRREE??????!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?") as far as how we got from the end of TLJ to the start of Ep. IX.

Actually, that's much more left-wing of a sentiment than it might seem at first, since it operates from the view that categorizing anyone who isn't white as "ethnic" is already operating from a position of "white" being the default/standard...which is kinda racist.

Yes, well, good luck trying to convince them of that argument. lol

All the last Jedi was was a 2 hour agenda driven piece of crap. They used the Star Wars name to get people in seats. I really don’t think any thought or care was put into continuing the Skywalker story... all of my democrat friends LOVED it and all of my republican friends hated it. Has anyone else noticed this within their own friends and family? It’s almost 100% in my personal experience.

i am neither, and I went from confused and let down to flat out hatred of what I saw. It has honestly very negatively affected my life and ruined my favorite franchise and hero. Along with my passion for Star Wars props. My pristine graflex is in a drawer. And my TK armor is put up.

and I don’t hate the prequels... there has never been a piece of “entertainment” that has affected me so deeply. I can’t watch the OT even... I’ve tried. Seeing Luke when he wasn’t a backstabbing worthless bitch... just reminds me of what should’ve been.

he faced Vader with almost NO fear and certain death... he has to stab his nephew in the back while he sleeps???

Ryan Johnson, you taught me one lesson!!! I used to make fun of people who said their childhood got raped.... right up until my childhood got raped.

Last edited:
All the last Jedi was was a 2 hour agenda driven propaganda piece. They used the Star Wars name to get people in seats. I really don’t think any thought or care was put into continuing the Skywalker story... all of my democrat friends LOVED it and all of my republican friends hated it. Has anyone else noticed this within their own friends and family? It’s almost 100% in my personal experience.

i am neither, and I went from confused and let down to flat out hatred of what I saw. It has honestly very negatively affected my life and ruined my favorite franchise and hero. Along with my passion for Star Wars props. My pristine graflex is in a drawer. And my TK armor is put up.

and I don’t hate the prequels... there has never been a piece of “entertainment” that has affected me so deeply. I can’t watch the OT even... I’ve tried. Seeing Luke when he wasn’t a backstabbing worthless bitch... just reminds me of what should’ve been.

he faced Vader with almost NO fear and certain death... he has to stab his nephew in the back while he sleeps???

Ryan Johnson, you taught me one lesson!!! I used to make fun of people who said their childhood got raped.... right up until my childhood got raped.

Yes, I've noticed the same ideological correlation.

Several folks on here have asked me over the last few months when I was going to post my review of TLJ. Which is very flattering, of course. But I've still not been able to bring myself to write it. Sure, I've posted quick criticisms of it numerous times--like I'm doing right now. But I was so repulsed by the film, I've been unable to actually sit down and write a review. Thinking about it for more than a minute at a time, is gravely depressing to me. The film was an abomination, from start to finish. There is literally *nothing* I like about it. And most of it I abhor. Well...my minute's up, so I'll stop here.

The Wook

Yes, how DARE Star Wars be political or have an agenda!

tumblr_oiv0huRpUI1qz6z2wo1_500.gif

When-She-Clarifies-Rules.gif

giphy.gif

princess-leia-chokes-jabba.gif

j7uw82rh0y301.gif

tumblr_o4ewqiruhh1uqyagpo4_500.gif

Damn Star Wars! It ruined Star Wars!

All the last Jedi was was a 2 hour agenda driven propaganda piece. They used the Star Wars name to get people in seats. I really don’t think any thought or care was put into continuing the Skywalker story... all of my democrat friends LOVED it and all of my republican friends hated it. Has anyone else noticed this within their own friends and family? It’s almost 100% in my personal experience.
I have friends and family on both sides of the political spectrum and the majority of both sides hate the movie. There's many reasons this movie makes people hate it. The political agenda is just one of them.

Leia was a titled leader, thus obviously used to giving people orders. That's not political/feminism. That's character appropriate. Vader and Tarkin also order people around and expect results.

Not sure how "Use the Force, Luke." is supposed to be a political statement. If anything it's religion-based.

Slave Leia killing Jabba is also not political/feminism. It's what a slave would want to do given the chance. A male slave would do the same thing.

Padme's statement is the closest thing that comes to an actual political statement.

Anakin's line is a reference to a Bush speech. But it doesn't have political meaning within the context of the film. It's a verbal demonstration of his fall to the dark side, as only Sith's deal in absolutes.

So that's 1/6 actual political statements in your bucket of picked Cherries.

Leia was a titled leader, thus obviously used to giving people orders. That's not political/feminism. That's character appropriate. Vader and Tarkin also order people around and expect results.

Not sure how "Use the Force, Luke." is supposed to be a political statement. If anything it's religion-based.

Slave Leia killing Jabba is also not political/feminism. It's what a slave would want to do given the chance. A male slave would do the same thing.

Padme's statement is the closest thing that comes to an actual political statement.

Anakin's line is a reference to a Bush speech. But it doesn't have political meaning within the context of the film. It's a verbal demonstration of his fall to the dark side, as only Sith's deal in absolutes.

So that's 1/6 actual political statements in your bucket of picked Cherries.
Female empowerment is still feminism.

Religion as a political point is a huge part of Star Wars. You'll notice that a major point behind the Empire is that is mirrors the Soviets as an anti-religious government.

It's a woman killing the creeper who objectified her. How is that not a political statement?

It still references the Bush speech, ergo political.

Religion as a political point is a huge part of Star Wars. You'll notice that a major point behind the Empire is that is mirrors the Soviets as an anti-religious government.

It's a woman killing the creeper who objectified her. How is that not a political statement?

Females can just be empowered by their own personal choice. Feminism has nothing to do with that.

The Empire actually mirrors the Nazi's and Hitler was big into religion and the occult. Also there was only a single Imperial Officer that criticized Force use. And Vader immediately choked him out for his troubles. Tarkin had to intervene.

It's a slave killing the person that enslaved them. That's just simple human nature.

Anakin is saying it only to OWK. And OWK immediately responds to it as something a Sith would say. That puts it squarely within the religion sandbox in the context of the film.

The politics in the OT were centered around WW2...it wasn’t a mirror of 1977 politics. I want to be taken away from all this crap. I’m sick of hearing both sides. And didn’t mean to cause a political debate! I think both sides are a bit crazy nowadays and sick of hearing it in EVERYTHING I watch.

and im not saying there is blatant republican bashing or any political stuff. I’m just saying I’ve noticed a pattern in my friends who liked it and didn’t like it.

giphy.gif

I hope they do end something with #9. The franchise isn't over but we need some kind of gap between these trilogies.

I worry that Ep#9 will just make a token gesture of a victory. All the toy-selling characters are still alive. The Empire/First Order/whatever is clearly not done yet. After the credits it reads "Star Wars will return in 'Episode X: The Search for More Money."

Disney/LFL could underestimate the importance of having an ending for the audience. By the time of Ep#3 a lot of people were sick of the prequels but they kept going to see how it wrapped up. They wouldn't have stuck it out for #3 (or maybe even quit after #1) if they thought the prequels were an open-ended series limited only by ticket sales. Then it's a full-blown soap opera.

Last edited:
The politics in the OT were centered around WW2...it wasn’t a mirror of 1977 politics. I want to be taken away from all this crap. I’m sick of hearing both sides. And didn’t mean to cause a political debate! I think both sides are a bit crazy nowadays and sick of hearing it in EVERYTHING I watch.

and im not saying there is blatant republican bashing or any political stuff. I’m just saying I’ve noticed a pattern in my friends who liked it and didn’t like it.

No, it was Vietnam. I wonder how some of you claim to have this stupid high SWIQ when from a socio-political perspective your inclinations are so opposite of those of The Creator. If George was making these films in the current political environment it would be 10x more overt.

http://www.amc.com/shows/james-came...-of-science-fiction-master-class-george-lucas

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what side of the political spectrum you are on. The Last Jedi was a terrible movie and easily the worst Star Wars movie ever committed to film. As much as I hate the prequels I would take any one of them over the flaming trash heap that Rian Johnson insulted us with.

And yes, I take it as a blatant insult because he has openly mocked his critics and arrogantly cared more about his "vision" than he does for Mark Hamill himself and the fans in turn. When you disrespect the character of Luke and Mark Hamill, you're a dick. Mark is one of the few actors in Hollywood who is grounded despite all of his success and puts his family and fans first. When you spit in his face, I have a problem with that.

This movie did not rape my childhood. To do that would be giving it too much credit. What it did do was prove that the heads of Lucasfilm do NOT care about the people that keep them in business and that they will do whatever they can to make money over making good films with the fans in mind. Just do what sells. That's all they care about.

They could learn a lot from Marvel's example, but I think they are too short sighted to be that smart.

Last edited:
No, it was Vietnam. I wonder how some of you claim to have this stupid high SWIQ when from a socio-political perspective your inclinations are so opposite of those of The Creator. If George was making these films in the current political environment it would be 10x more overt.

http://www.amc.com/shows/james-came...-of-science-fiction-master-class-george-lucas
Technically, it was inspired by both but I get what you're saying. The Empire and in turn the Emperor himself was inspired by several real life dictatorships. Some of the visual inspiration came from the Nazis, while ideology was a mix of Soviet Era Stalinism and Nixonian authoritarianism. When the PT rolled around, Lucas didn't hesitate to use contemporary politics then, either. So all this whining about "woes is meee! The politics in SW doesn't agree with my worldview. SW shouldn't be political" that I keep seeing is moot. In fact, if someone doesn't like the current politics of SW, I'd go as far as to hazard a guess they never truly understood its underlying themes of the saga in the first place.

Technically, it was inspired by both but I get what you're saying. The Empire and in turn the Emperor himself was inspired by several real life dictatorships. Some of the visual inspiration came from the Nazis, while ideology was a mix of Soviet Era Stalinism and Nixonian authoritarianism. When the PT rolled around, Lucas didn't hesitate to use contemporary politics then, either. So all this whining about "woes is meee! The politics in SW doesn't agree with my worldview. SW shouldn't be political" that I keep seeing is moot. In fact, if someone doesn't like the current politics of SW, I'd go as far as to hazard a guess they never truly understood its underlying themes of the saga in the first place.

Geirge says as much in this video with James Cameron for an upcoming special series of interviews he is doing. Star Wars is the product of a 1969’s left wing radical. :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back