Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Oh I agree with you that the original crew and cast from the OT is the heart and soul, I just meant that Mark Hamill is the one cast member who has carried the torch of the series as the lead actor as well as the fans insider. He is just as much a fan of Star Wars as the fans are and he's always been devoted to the series and the public in a way that goes far beyond the films themselves.

Oh I agree with you that the original crew and cast from the OT is the heart and soul, I just meant that Mark Hamill is the one cast member who has carried the torch of the series as the lead actor as well as the fans insider. He is just as much a fan of Star Wars as the fans are and he's always been devoted to the series and the public in a way that goes far beyond the films themselves.

You are absolutely 100% correct. :)

I'm seriously considering skipping Solo and Ep. 9. I will probably go back and forth until the release comes but the fact that I'm even considering skipping either us just plain sad. If all Disney and Lucasfilm will respond to is money then they are going to be sorely disappointed when their sales dip from the fans who are boycotting their movies/ merchandise.

I'm seriously considering skipping Solo and Ep. 9. I will probably go back and forth until the release comes but the fact that I'm even considering skipping either us just plain sad. If all Disney and Lucasfilm will respond to is money then they are going to be sorely disappointed when their sales dip from the fans who are boycotting their movies/ merchandise.

Go get ‘em, tiger. :)

The implied message is they don't care about the existing fans, they only care about the new series and it's fans. There simply isn't the volume or rabidity in new fans to sustain what they've seen so far.

I don't think there's any actual boycot either. More of the 'this isn't for me' choice. I'm sure i'll see solo and IX, But past that? I can't honestly say. There message to me seems to be a clear 'we don't care about you'. That's their right, but that attitude won't keep posting 8 figure box office totals.

Oh, and when it doesn't....guaranteed they'll blame it on piracy or leaks and not the actual content of the movies themselves. God forbid they accept any responsibility. Studios never do that. Ever.

There is no official boycott though I suspect that when Disney sees the box office numbers and merchandise sales drop off then they may have to change their tactics. It's been discussed before but the toys and other merchandise is sitting on shelves collecting dust because either the kids are not interested in the new films enough to want to own a piece of them, or the products are so crappy that older collectors don't want to own them either.

I'm all for bringing in new audiences into the fold of the fandom, but the fatal mistake that Lucasfilm is making is that they seem to think that without the older or disappointed fans that they will somehow still manage to turn a profit no matter what they release from their studio, which is not only false but foolish. The fans are what are keeping this thing afloat. Just like with any industry, if they keep releasing poor products people will stop buying them.

Thank you so much. I just wish things hadn't turned out this way and I could be happy about all the movies being released. It's just that when you're passionate about something it's hard not to speak up, whether it's good or bad.

Trust me, you are from from Robinson Crusoe. Disney and their shills are in a state of denial and deflection about the current state of things.

I'm almost definitely skipping Solo but not as a protest, I just simply do not care about it at all.
EP9 I'll see how it goes, I've never been to a premiere (mostly coz I want to watch a movie and not be surrounded by tons of people screaming and whistling and whatever else comes with a full theatre) but I've seen all in the cinema a few weeks after the release. I'll wait a bit for 9 to see some opinions but not hyped. I don't mind if a corporation is about going for the dough, it's just that if the quality is not there for me I'm just not gonna buy it. It's not that conscious a decision for me.

I'm all for bringing in new audiences into the fold of the fandom, but the fatal mistake that Lucasfilm is making is that they seem to think that without the older or disappointed fans that they will somehow still manage to turn a profit no matter what they release from their studio, which is not only false but foolish. The fans are what are keeping this thing afloat. Just like with any industry, if they keep releasing poor products people will stop buying them.

I agree. Other than Star Trek, I can't think of a single franchise that has excitedly held our attention! Star Wars came out over 40 years ago and it still holds up and is more popular than ever. Unfortunately, the youth of today, generally speaking, are distracted and bombarded by other things (I blame social media and cell phones) that keeping them interested and focused is a monumental task! When I was a kid (HA... like I ever grew up) I played with my SW toys until they fell apart! Now I'm building a larger toy! ;)

The point behind all this blabber is if the original fan-base (and we're out there) is alienated and are continued to be treated (as we perceive it to be) like poo-poo we will begin to second guess going to see the movies and eventually walk away. Many people have already discussed NOT going to a movie premiere. Sadly, that's the first step towards walking away.

It really saddens me that we're even having this conversation. But it appears to be the reality for a LOT of us. :(

Last edited:
...if the original fan-base (and we're out there) is alienated and continued to be treated (as we perceive it to be) like poo-poo we will begin to second guess going to see the movies and eventually walk away. Many people have already discussed NOT going to a movie premiere. Sadly, that's the first step towards walking away.

It really saddens me that we're even having this conversation. But it appears to be the reality for a LOT of us. :(

I'm not ready to walk away. Yet. But you're right, SofaKing, Disney/LFL is treading on thin ice. There's a limit to how much low-SWIQ content I can tolerate in their films.

Disney/LFL would be wise to heed the old adage: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, the other gold."

The Wook

I'm almost definitely skipping Solo but not as a protest, I just simply do not care about it at all.
EP9 I'll see how it goes, I've never been to a premiere (mostly coz I want to watch a movie and not be surrounded by tons of people screaming and whistling and whatever else comes with a full theatre) but I've seen all in the cinema a few weeks after the release. I'll wait a bit for 9 to see some opinions but not hyped. I don't mind if a corporation is about going for the dough, it's just that if the quality is not there for me I'm just not gonna buy it. It's not that conscious a decision for me.

For what it's worth, that's the trajectory I took post-prequels. I started out furious, then just got sad, and then gradually became basically apathetic. After that, I mostly walked away from Star Wars. Not my enjoyment of the stuff I already enjoyed, mind you. Just all the new stuff that was being produced. It took some time and some distance, but after a while I came back to it and was able to find my fun with the franchise again, even including stuff from eras I wasn't keen on (e.g., Clone Wars era stuff). Here's hoping you end up taking the same or a similar trajectory, and I mean that sincerely. It sucks that this many folks are this unsatisfied about the new material. I think there's still a ton of potential there, though, even if you aren't digging all of it. The one thing to bear in mind is that there will be new stuff coming at a much more rapid pace than in the decades past, so hopefully you'll be able to find new things you'll enjoy.

112% sofa. I’m right there with you.

I agree. Other than Star Trek, I can't think of a single franchise that has excitedly held our attention! Star Wars came out over 40 years ago and it still holds up and is more popular than ever. Unfortunately, the youth of today, generally speaking, are distracted and bombarded by other things (I blame social media and cell phones) that keeping them interested and focused is a monumental task! When I was a kid (HA... like I ever grew up) I played with my SW toys until they fell apart! Now I'm building a larger toy! ;)

The point behind all this blabber is if the original fan-base (and we're out there) is alienated and are continued to be treated (as we perceive it to be) like poo-poo we will begin to second guess going to see the movies and eventually walk away. Many people have already discussed NOT going to a movie premiere. Sadly, that's the first step towards walking away.

For what it's worth, that's the trajectory I took post-prequels. I started out furious, then just got sad, and then gradually became basically apathetic. After that, I mostly walked away from Star Wars. Not my enjoyment of the stuff I already enjoyed, mind you. Just all the new stuff that was being produced. It took some time and some distance, but after a while I came back to it and was able to find my fun with the franchise again, even including stuff from eras I wasn't keen on (e.g., Clone Wars era stuff). Here's hoping you end up taking the same or a similar trajectory, and I mean that sincerely. It sucks that this many folks are this unsatisfied about the new material. I think there's still a ton of potential there, though, even if you aren't digging all of it. The one thing to bear in mind is that there will be new stuff coming at a much more rapid pace than in the decades past, so hopefully you'll be able to find new things you'll enjoy.

I hope you're right. I seriously do. The Last Jedi just burned me so bad that I'm not sure I can handle it. I know some people would laugh at me and say it's just a movie, but it's really not JUST a movie to me and to so many other people. Perhaps one day I can come back to the series and find something new to love, but for the time being , maybe I need to walk away for a while.

I hope you're right. I seriously do. The Last Jedi just burned me so bad that I'm not sure I can handle it. I know some people would laugh at me and say it's just a movie, but it's really not JUST a movie to me and to so many other people. Perhaps one day I can come back to the series and find something new to love, but for the time being , maybe I need to walk away for a while.
Yeah, I get that. I've still never watched KotCS because I know I can't "unsee" it when I do and that'll make it harder to exclude it from "head canon." And again, I felt that way about the prequels.

Maybe after it's been out for a few seasons, check out the new Resistance show. Filioni got me to appreciate the clone wars era, and that was no easy task. Even got me to appreciate ROTS by extension, which surprised me. I still don't really like the PT and think it should have been done differently, but I like TCW and accept ROTS as it's conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Prequels went down differently with me. I saw TPM when I was 13 and I liked it (although even as a kid I thought it didn't feel really SW but thought it was newer SW). Then I started watching the TPM VHS less and less and just stuck to the OT. Then AOTC came out and I was proper baffled when I saw at the theatre. ROTS I was like okay, whatever. I revisited them all a few times just to see if I can find something but just accepted them as bad movies and sort of blocked out from the canon. Whenever I watch ESB I feel the magic of Yoda without having the image of him hopping around and I see the carbon freezer scene without thinking "oh, Vader and 3PO, creator and creature reunited", etc...
When the news came that Disney bought LFL and gonna start making new movies I honestly didnt care, I just hoped they would release the untampered OT on Blu-Ray. Then after my initial lukewarm reception of TFA I grew to like the new characters and was looking forward to seeing Ep8. I didn't have that by the time AOTC hit the theatres, so that's probably why TLJ hit me harder.
If JJ pulls it off by Ep9, great. I'm also pretty sure that there will be the occasional standalone movie that I'll enjoy. I was joking that following Murphy's law, since I have below zero expectations of Solo I'll probs end up liking it. With Rogue One I also had zero expectation and enthusiasm and it was unchanged when I left the theatre but I wasn't hurt or anything, just shrugged and that's it. That's where I am now really, but will see really. I agree there's a lot of potential, hopefully it will give us more to enjoy.
I also have to admit that I really haven't felt like revisiting TLJ since I've seen it in the theatre, so that one's on the list too, although I'm not amping my hopes too high. I'm trying not to be a contrarian, but I'm just not that much into the "pump out a movie each year to keep the train rolling" approach. That doesn't mean I won't sporadically enjoy bits and bobs.

Yeah, I get that. I've still never watched KotCS because I know I can't "unsee" it when I do and that'll make it harder to exclude it from "head canon." And again, I felt that way about the prequels.

Maybe after it's been out for a few seasons, check out the new Resistance show. Filioni got me to appreciate the clone wars era, and that was no easy task. Even got me to appreciate ROTS by extension, which surprised me. I still don't really like the PT and think it should have been done differently, but I like TCW and accept ROTS as it's conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

See, KOTCS didn't bother me that much. It was just a bad episode. Neither part of the trilogy was really affected by it. That's probably why TLJ bothers me because it is directly linked to TFA, whereas every Indy flick is pretty much standalone. That being said Indy 5...what the hell are they thinking really...?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back