Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

• Total voters
No he said he came there to die. That's not the same thing as contemplating how to fix the problem.

Fun fact, Anakin's motivations for falling to the dark side weren't solidified by George until he was editing the film.

But at the very least George knew the broad strokes of the PT which was why I even mentioned it.

MattBlack I agree a lot with many of your points but I think you are giving RJ a bit of a pass.

Yes, JJ should have actually revealed internally what is in the magic boxes so the next 2 directors know what to do with them. But assuming that was not passed down, Rian could and did do some interesting things with them. However, he shouldn’t have revealed the contents for every single box (at least save some likes Rey’s heritage for the 3rd and final movie) or at least make the revealed contents significant enough that they can become a thread or idea that can be explored in the next film.

The biggest problem with TLJ though is that it killed any incentive to watch the last entry imo.

Kylo Ren is now the head of the first order and has achieved his dream of being the new Vader. Rey and Co need to rebuild the resistance to take down the first order somehow. It’s evident that to defeat the first order once and for all, Kylo must be defeated. The one to do this is Rey. Rey and Kylo fight, Rey wins (May or may not kill Kylo), end of movie.

This would be pretty exciting if in TLJ, Kylo in peak condition and additional training from Snoke utterly dominated Rey in their fight. With no Luke for additional training or to fall back on, it’s up to a minimally trained Rey who had only gotten lucky in TFA (injured Ben and unexpected use of the force by Rey). However, we have seen that Rey has beaten Kylo multiple times in their duels and Kylo can’t touch her.

Thus, the tension and excitement for the third movie is dead in the water. After seeing TLJ, I just knew this is likely how it would play out and my desire to see the third one vanished. I was more interested in seeing how Abrams would get out of the hole than in the story of Rey and Co. since I knew he had an uphill battle and Abrams sucks at endings.

actually a crazy thought. So Anakin Skywalker was the one to bring balance. Now that he is dead, Rey is born and she is the new “one” that brings balance. Does that mean when Rey does, there will be another one?

If so, is the force merely a different OS of the matrix? Star Wars-Matrix Crossover lol.

Rian's idea of subverting expectations is to simply do the opposite of what people expect, no matter how nonsensical it is. That's not subversive at all. That's being contrarian for its own sake and not to strengthen the story. If you're going to genuinely surprise fans you can absolutely do it if you're a decent writer but playing "opposite day" with a story is not a sign of brilliance. A better writer would have been able to work within the framework of what had been established and still found a way to push the story forward in new directions without violating it. So I don't fault him for trying something new, I do however don't think he was good enough to execute it well. Subversion is when you work subtlety within the system without destroying it altogether. There was nothing subtle about that movie. ...

To my utmost surprise I found a lot of good within Episode 8 when I watched it again a few weeks ago. But it is still so damn obvious that he IMO thinks of himself as unbelievably clever and ingenious by mixing in a lot of outright and blatantly executed comedic elements with Poe vs. Hux and Finn in the infirmary, erotic elements between Rey and Kylo and then a training and backstory montage with Luke and Rey, with all of those having no place in a well-written Star Wars movie.

And let's be real here, none of this would have happened if they had an overall plan, so I can't feel too bad for any of them, especially when they blamed the fans for their failures.

Possible, but the moments where he flips the bird towards the fans may have been there as well, good preparation or not.

actually a crazy thought. So Anakin Skywalker was the one to bring balance. Now that he is dead, Rey is born and she is the new “one” that brings balance. Does that mean when Rey does, there will be another one?

If so, is the force merely a different OS of the matrix? Star Wars-Matrix Crossover lol.
Yes, I think so. The Force is always striving to bring balance. And there's something that they introduced in the canon prophecy. It says that through the Chosen One ultimate balance is restored. The idea that it's through Anakin, and Luke, and Leia, and Rey, and who ever else becomes a Skywalker(I really want the new Jedi order to consist of orphans that take the name of Skywalker), all of the work to bring balance to the Force.

Yes, there will be another one. If you read the canon there are some hints at that and the reason behind it. It's mainly $$$. And some £££ and €€€. ¥¥¥ is questionable, although you can't say they didn't try...

sztriki Japan actually really loves Star Wars due to the many Kurosawa references and the many samurai-esque themes so the Yen’s are there. Hell, Japan loved Jake Lloyd Even though the US lambasted him.

I don’t know what Japan’s mood is on the latest Star Wars trilogy by Disney though and I do think Star Wars has taken a backseat to Marvel here too. There are some Star Wars merchandise but majority is OT with things like Kabuki Vader With some love for PT.

The biggest problem for Star Wars is they can’t get the yuan. China loves Marvel but the couldn’t care less for Star Wars. Honestly from a business perspective, Disney should just drop Star Wars or demote it to tv show only and focus their eggs on Marvel.

sztriki Japan actually really loves Star Wars due to the many Kurosawa references and the many samurai-esque themes so the Yen’s are there. Hell, Japan loved Jake Lloyd Even though the US lambasted him.

I don’t know what Japan’s mood is on the latest Star Wars trilogy by Disney though and I do think Star Wars has taken a backseat to Marvel here too. There are some Star Wars merchandise but majority is OT with things like Kabuki Vader With some love for PT.

The biggest problem for Star Wars is they can’t get the yuan. China loves Marvel but the couldn’t care less for Star Wars. Honestly from a business perspective, Disney should just drop Star Wars or demote it to tv show only and focus their eggs on Marvel.
Was meant to be tbe Yuan. AFAIK they usd the same unicode symbol.

No. It was apathy. He said he went there to die. That's not heroic at all. It was pathetic.

Last edited:
No. It was apathy. He said he went there to die. That's not heroic at all. It was pathetic.
Apathy is not caring. That's exactly opposite of Luke's attitude. He cares so much, that he's willing to do what he thinks is the bigger, greater, more important thing. He's going to do what he should have done in ESB, and what he did in ROTJ.

Remember what did Luke do in ROTJ to win? He won, when he chose NOT to fight.

Apathy is not caring. That's exactly opposite of Luke's attitude. He cares so much, that he's willing to do what he thinks is the bigger, greater, more important thing. He's going to do what he should have done in ESB, and what he did in ROTJ.

Remember what did Luke do in ROTJ to win? He won, when he chose NOT to fight.
They are not always entirely inseparable. Sometimes caring is not the opposite of apathy, but rather the source of it.

iECjSp5.png

Luke didn't run off to die in ROTJ, as far as ESB goes he made the right choice. His meeting with Vader on Bespin might have been different if his mentors weren't so full of hubris that they lied to him.
"Certain point of view" my foot!
Outside the universe I think that was just some sloppy writing.
Of course in the end he didn't hide but faced Vader and the Emperor with courage. His hope and optimism won over the hatred of Palpatine.
Kinda the whole point of the story. ;) (y)

Same to you.

Naturally I think you're wrong and I'm right. :p
Apathy combined with inaction is not heroic. It's one thing if Luke didn't want to train anyone else and let his knowledge of the Force die with him but he was still engaged in the fight against evil. It's another thing entirely to have him sulk on an island alone with the galaxy on fire because of a mess he was partially responsible for, especially if he's unwilling to take action.

You can think whatever you want about it but I don't understand your need to prove me and others wrong. If I'm wrong, then so be it. You've already won. Big deal.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back