Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

i never thought of it like that until now, yeah i have to agree
A McMuffin can be anything that moves the story forward that's a trick, gadget, device, or implausible trick. A character driven plot isn't really the definition of a McMuffin.

Yes, I said McMuffin because my SM-G900V likes to auto-correct to that and it makes me hungry.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A McMuffin can be anything that moves the story forward that's a trick, gadget, device, or implausible trick. A character driven plot isn't really the definition of a McMuffin.

Yes, I said McMuffin because my SM-G900V likes to auto-correct to that and it makes me hungry.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In TFA the map to Luke is the Egg McGuffin.

Last edited:
I thought Luke was the macguffin? The "thing" the villain was after.
Imho, he wasn't a macguffin. (He was in TFA, along with the map..and the lightsaber)
Macguffin are the thing that everyone is looking for and it drives the story.

But luke was the main character. Vader didn't even clue into who he was until halfway through the movie. Yes, Vader did want to capture him at the end, but that was personal. And no one else was looking for him either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes, in TFA the map was the macguffin. And so was the lightsaber.

But in ESB, Luke was not a macguffin. That was the point I was trying to make. He wasn't the arc of the covenant.

Saber was not, it was brought in in the Middle of Act 2 and the antagonists only learned about it at the end of act 3.

For ESB you could almost make the case the Falcon was the Macguffin.

The main story of TESB was Vader searching for Luke, I think that is clear enough.
crawl.JPG

The main story of TESB was Vader searching for Luke, I think that is clear enough.
View attachment 726099
That is true.

But given that logic, sexed up teenagers would be the macguffin for Friday the 13th movies.

It was my understanding that a macguffin is the thing everyone wants. And it drives the story. Often, the content (or use) of the macguffin is beside the point.

I just don't see how the main protagonist could be a macguffin. He's being hunted by Vader.

how do we know? they could be retconned to be in his boots. the tippy top hidden by the under suit :).I know, that's the next star wars story! Darth Vaders Tailor..garrak..

yeah, i'm feeling goofy tonight :)

If you had followed the discussion about Vader's walking pace in the Rogue One thread, you'd know that he clearly does not have boots with laces. :lol

Speaking of the map, did any of the new books or anything ever explain why Leia didn't just use the Force to call to Luke? Or did Luke just not respond (which wouldn't make sense)?

Speaking of the map, did any of the new books or anything ever explain why Leia didn't just use the Force to call to Luke? Or did Luke just not respond (which wouldn't make sense)?

Forgive me if I am not remembering something - but isn't the Force as a communications tools limited by proximity? Not something you can just use to reach out and touch someone across the galaxy without even knowing where they are? I think of ANH, where Vader had not sensed Obi-Wan's presence for decades until they were on the same battle station (though I'm sure Anakin would've loved to just "reach out" Obi-Wan in the years post-ROTS to get revenge), or Vader calling out to Luke in ESB only when they were both near Bespin (were it otherwise, Vader would've called out to Luke to locate him whenever he found out Luke was his son.)

However, death seems to work differently, at least when there is a large amount of death (Ob-Wan sensing the destruction of Alderaan while in hyperspace) or a close relationship (Leia sensing Han's death on another planet.)

M

Forgive me if I am not remembering something - but isn't the Force as a communications tools limited by proximity? Not something you can just use to reach out and touch someone across the galaxy without even knowing where they are? I think of ANH, where Vader had not sensed Obi-Wan's presence for decades until they were on the same battle station (though I'm sure Anakin would've loved to just "reach out" Obi-Wan in the years post-ROTS to get revenge), or Vader calling out to Luke in ESB only when they were both near Bespin (were it otherwise, Vader would've called out to Luke to locate him whenever he found out Luke was his son.)

However, death seems to work differently, at least when there is a large amount of death (Ob-Wan sensing the destruction of Alderaan while in hyperspace) or a close relationship (Leia sensing Han's death on another planet.)

M
Of course the big question is, what kind of hand did palpatine has in the creation of Anakin skywalker.?

M

In the deleted scenes from ROTJ, Vader is calling out to Luke on Tatooine from the Deathstar above Endor. Obi-wan also heard the voices of the people of Alderaan as it was destroyed. I don't think there was ever a proximity limit put on "force" connection.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back