Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

BTW, isnt it nice to see that much green in a star wars film that isn't followed by the word screen?

Yes, indeed. But I just remembered what I did NOT like of JJ´s approach to filming the new E. It was the extensive use of location filming for the interior of the E, i.e. using a chemical plant as the main engineering deck. That totally took me out of the movie because it felt not right, visually. I hope this does not happen with VII. The exterior shots that we all loved seeing in the OT were either done in completely untouched areas of nature (Tatooine, Hoth, Endor) or completely built up from the ground in outside areas (Mos Eisley, Jabba´s sailbarge) Everything else were huge studio sets. There was nothing inbetween, IIRC.

The good thing about a location that looks foreign by nature is that
- it is not instantly recognizable, because to 99,9999% of the population it´s "you´ve seen one desert/forest/snow plain, you´ve seen them all"
- you can move around and improvise a lot more on location

The good good thing about a studio set is
- that it needs thorough planning
- that you have quite some creative freedom, you can come up with the weirdest ideas
- that it costs a lot
- that you can´t change your mind too much once things are built

Wait, the above are good things? IMO yes, because a good director knows his stuff and works with what he has. Kershner took his time on the Dagobah set, much to GL´s dismay.
AND the above makes a SCENE important! It helps weed out unnecessary scenes beforehand. It gives a scene importance, because if a scene is not important, there won´t be a set built for the shooting but that scene will be included in other sets.

Main example, at least in my opinion, are the EP1 scenes shot at Caserta. Heck, we do NOT need to see people arrive and carry their luggage around, uttering fluff lines! We do NOT see a captured queen and her entourage led down a huge stairway! And I am pretty sure that Lucas chose that location just simply because he could have great visuals, great backdrops that only need digital set extension to a smaller degree and are easy to handle.
Granted, CGI makes a lot possible, but even then it costs a bit to create completely new sets for scenes that only last a few seconds.

So, JJ, I hope you got it right. Here´s hoping ...

But every time we have seen the falcon in the past its has been on a set, Tatooine, Death star, Yavin 4, Echo Base, Rebel ship, Besbin.

How cool will it be to see the falcon just outdoors?

In a real place with the real sun shining on it (well that might be touch and go with english weather)

When have we ever seen the falcon near grass?

I shouldn't worry. Have a look at how all the deck scenes of the Helicarrier were filmed on "The Avengers" if you want an idea of just how much an external shot with big props can be changed. Then just try to imagine just how a Star destroyer, Falcon, and X wing would look. I've got to say Greenham Common would make a superb smugglers or military base, its missle silos and concrete bunkers are really solid and gritty and have been used in lots of TV and film shoots. I've got to say I really like how that old galactic "military" feeling is coming into this, and remember, Star Trek had a more limited budget, this one is up and beyond a Marvel film, with basically the same effects teams. This strong use of British locations makes me rather hopeful that in the future we may just get that live action TV series. There is so much that they can reuse that its bound to bring production costs down, but I think that it is some way away in the future, after the bulk of the films are done.

I shouldn't worry. Have a look at how all the deck scenes of the Helicarrier were filmed on "The Avengers" if you want an idea of just how much an external shot with big props can be changed.

That´s why I mentioned Finse and Buttercup Valley, they were indeed changed, but due to the nature of the location it was a lot easier.
But of course clever and thoroughly done set decoration can change everything.

... This strong use of British locations makes me rather hopeful that in the future we may just get that live action TV series. There is so much that they can reuse that its bound to bring production costs down, but I think that it is some way away in the future, after the bulk of the films are done.

The problem is storing large set pieces, it has been and still is. But I bet they already have planned for that, since they already have planned the other films. And yes, that could indeed bring production costs down, and even if not they could still reuse some of that in theme parks :p

This is like saying breath of cars air. It's nice to see something family and get back to the basics of film. The cgi in prior films made me feel like I was watching a Pixar production. It only look err d real to a point and for star wars it looked horrible imho. I feel good about this film.

With the prop ships being built full scale.......Disney will have something to put in their Star Wars theme park once filming of the new trilogy is done filming ;)

admiral_ackbar.jpg

It's a Tarp!!!

Imagine actors walking around on that real grass, under that real sky, leaning on those real spaceships. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I thought the best parts, in terms of their looks, of the PT were the very rare locations shoots. Italy, Tunisia...say what you will about what the actors were doing and saying, it LOOKED real, and real good. God I'm so pumped to see green grass instead of green screen (as glunark said)!

two x wings.jpg I can just imagine a scene with them walking down the ramp of the falcon, talking as they walk past both x wings, all in one take, and all of it real.

two x wings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, indeed. But I just remembered what I did NOT like of JJ´s approach to filming the new E. It was the extensive use of location filming for the interior of the E, i.e. using a chemical plant as the main engineering deck.

Chemical plant? It was a brewery. The new Enterprise ran on Budweiser.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back