Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Well, there are George's treatments and a head writer was announced quite some time ago. Perhaps they don't have a totally finished script, but I'd imagine that they have at least an outline of the characters that are going to be in it.

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone knew as of yet, where the production is going to be based? I know it is going to be in the UK, but does anyone know which studio? I know historically Shepperton and Pinewood are likely candidates but I have heard no news of a solid confirmation. Does anyone know any better than me?

Is Leavesden still standing, or still a studio? I know this was converted from something like an aircraft engine factory (?) by Lucasfilm for Episode I back in the nineties. It could be there as well, but it would be a blast for nostalgia's sake if it were at Elstree...

Nothing but good news with that.

Plus, a nice view of Coruscant I don't remember having seen before...

Nothing but good news with that.

Plus, a nice view of Coruscant I don't remember having seen before...

That is one Prequel thing I hope we see again in the new movies. That's one of the more interesting planets. I just hope we get to see the deep underside.

That is one Prequel thing I hope we see again in the new movies. That's one of the more interesting planets. I just hope we get to see the deep underside.

Definitely. The vfx guys did an awesome job on the cityscape by the time of ROTS; lots of photorealistic renderings. I can only imagine how much more mind-blowing it would be with ten more years of technology and know how put to work on it. It's a skyscraper lover's dream.

Williams? YES! Thank.... the force?:unsure
That is truly great stuff, I hope he gets to do Episodes VIII and IX as well! :D

Not sure the efx will be up to parr in the new ones - Lucas had his own sandbox to play in and (from what I heard) gave himself one hell of a discount while making his movies. It's nothing new James Cameron ran Digital Domain into the ground with Titanic, then just wouldn't return the money spent thinking he was generating customers by making a good movie with DD's name on it - didnt work out that way

Well as ILM is still a subsidiary or LucasFilm Ltd, couldn't they still give themselves the discount?

Well as ILM is still a subsidiary or LucasFilm Ltd, couldn't they still give themselves the discount?

Sure they could, but they just had staff cut and other projects as well, so they'd have to be able to staff up to handle the shots in-house. You don't get discounts on shots you have to put out for bid to 3rd parties.

There's a reason most movies have 7+ fx houses listed in the credits.

Not sure the efx will be up to parr in the new ones - Lucas had his own sandbox to play in and (from what I heard) gave himself one hell of a discount while making his movies. It's nothing new James Cameron ran Digital Domain into the ground with Titanic, then just wouldn't return the money spent thinking he was generating customers by making a good movie with DD's name on it - didnt work out that way

Anything is possible but I can't see anyone involved with something as epic as Episode VII (is intended to be) signing off on yesterday's effects quality...

I wouldn't worry about the effects. Star Trek looked absolutely breathtaking. In any event, Lucas focused entirely too much on over-saturating the frame with what he thought was eye candy. There's A LOT of crap on the screen that doesn't need to be there in the prequels. The new films would be well-served by restraint in the VFX arena. I'll trade away 75% of the effects in exchange for story and character development. That's all that matters. Without that, the VFX are a total uninteresting waste. There are plenty of mindless VFX vehicles out there for those who just want to shut their brains down and stare at a pretty picture for a few hours. I've faith that every effort will be made to strike the proper balance between visual wow and engaging story.

Sure they could, but they just had staff cut and other projects as well, so they'd have to be able to staff up to handle the shots in-house. You don't get discounts on shots you have to put out for bid to 3rd parties.

There's a reason most movies have 7+ fx houses listed in the credits.

Different studios will also have different specialties and equipment, too. A task set for WETA may be handled better by ILM, or the other way around, or somewhere else.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back