Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

I just figured that the hyperspace comms was something the Empire had previously, and the Rebels couldn't use it without at least their location being picked up, if not the transmission itself. With the New Republic in charge now, the Resistance has access to those systems without fear of the First Order being able to listen in. At least, they think so. As for the shared hyperspace corridor, we have no real precedent. Even in ROTJ, we only ever saw forward out the Falcon's cockpit. Since she led the assault, the whole rest of the Rebel fleet could have been strung out behind and we never would have seen.

And actually, the first film mention of the "outer rim" is in Star Wars. I forgot part of the scene with Biggs at the Rebel base was restored for the Special Edition. "Sir, Luke is the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim Territories."

--Jonah

Last edited:
From my first viewing, I took two things away, regarding tracking. One: I got the distinct impression Han was telling Chewie to see if he could find and disable whatever transponder enabled him to find the Falcon, and thus by the time they went on to the Resistance base, the ship was clean. And two, that the Resistance didn't know the First Order had the capability to track their recon ship, else Snap would have taken more precautions.

Also, @CutThumb, going back to your post that started all this, I think you need to watch that scene again, because Hux says to Snoke that the Republic is protecting the Resistance, not the other way around. Ergo, punishing the public supporters of their enemy to make a point (and since they, at that point, didn't know where the Resistance base was).

I also never had a problem with that being the first time he'd fired Chewie's bowcaster. I have a deeply ingrained weapons etiquette thing where "you don't touch another man's piece" unless invited/offered. I can easily see Han spending decades with Chewie and not even being aware of a subconscious tic where he's got his blaster that he's tweaked just so to make it perfect for him (never mind all the different props we see throughout the films) and he prefers it and Chewie has his and it's his and he doesn't mess with it. He's just gotten to the cantankerous-old-fart point where he just doesn't give a flying whatever anymore and does what pops into his head, even if he never did it before then.

My lingering issues are more aesthetic. I still don't like the opening crawl. I still have a problem with Finn exulting in blasting the Stormtroopers on the flight deck or shooting down the TIE Fighters (these were his brothers-in-arms up until then, also taken as toddlers and indoctrinated by the First Order). I would love to be able to read that into why he took so long to start shooting back on the Falcon, maybe a muttered "don't make me do this..." before he blasted one oTIE Fighters... *shrug*

--Jonah

re: the bolded

My issue wasn't so much Han not firing it so much as Han not knowing what it was capable of. I agree with everything else that you said about it, but for all the same reasons(decades of adventures together), that he would never have seen Chewie shoot anyone with it. But then again, I've seen a weapon get used before and then the different experience from actually shooting it myself sooo....maybe that's what it was:lol

I don't know, I guess the "logic" behind that vs what IMO may have been a poor opportunity for a joke has something to do with it(yes, I just said that lol).

My issue wasn't so much Han not firing it so much as Han not knowing what it was capable of. I agree with everything else that you said about it, but for all the same reasons(decades of adventures together), that he would never have seen Chewie shoot anyone with it. But then again, I've seen a weapon get used before and then the different experience from actually shooting it myself sooo....maybe that's what it was:lol

I don't know, I guess the "logic" behind that vs what IMO may have been a poor opportunity for a joke has something to do with it(yes, I just said that lol).

Pretty much what I figured. Note the first time he uses it, he's pinned down by some Stormtroopers that his blaster fire isn't able to get to, and they're laying down enough fire he doesn't have time to draw a bead on them behind their cover. He knows Chewie's does more damage, because he turns to him and asks if he can borrow it. But yeah -- there's a definite difference between seeing what a weapon does and intellectually knowing its capabilities... and actually feeling it yourself when you fire it for the first time.

--Jonah

Pretty much what I figured. Note the first time he uses it, he's pinned down by some Stormtroopers that his blaster fire isn't able to get to

No, it's aboard the freighter. Chewie is injured, so it makes sense, Chewie can't use it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Attack of the Clones:

Dex also mentions the Outer Rim in his conversation with Obi Wan in the diner. Twice actually.

Thanks, my brain tends not to consider the prequels, LOL, so I didn't recall.

Just watched TFA. First viewing at home, and first viewing since December. My opinion of the film hasn't changed. But I think we've debated that ad nauseam.

I do have a question, though. Ford, Hamill and Fisher got top billing, in that order. But after that, why did Adam Driver get top billing over Daisy Ridley? Daisy's character had considerably more screen time than Driver's character. Rey is clearly the protagonist, the star of the film. I realize that oftentimes an actor will get a higher billing than another, even with less screen time, if he/she is famous from previous works. And I know Daisy was a virtual unknown before TFA. But for all intents and purposes, so was Driver.

What's up with that?

The Wook

I realize that oftentimes an actor will get a higher billing than another, even with less screen time, if he/she is famous from previous works. And I know Daisy was a virtual unknown before TFA. But for all intents and purposes, so was Driver.

What's up with that?

The Wook

I am pretty sure that was clever negotiating by his agent. So it is a contract thing. I just looked at ANH´s end credits and there are Mark, Harrison and Carrie all on the first page next to each other, then comes Peter Cushing, then Alec Guiness. Huh.

Adam Driver has been around - while not a huge star by any means, he has been in several movies and TV. Daisy Ridley doesn't have the history or credits.

What this says about John Boyega I'm not sure. He doesn't have the credits Driver does - but has more than Ridley... has just about the same screen time as Ridley, and gets billed after her.

Hollywood politics? Better agents? Coin flip?

Actually, by convention, the British film/TV industry lists the cast at the end credits in order of appearance. Driver was shown before Ridely in the film, so ...

I thought of that, Sourdoh. But Boyega appeared in the film before Driver. And Boyega also had a bigger role (extraneous though it was) than Driver.

The Wook

In the 1978 Superman Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman were billed above Christopher Reeve. It's just a matter of experience/star power and how good your agent is.

Actually, by convention, the British film/TV industry lists the cast at the end credits in order of appearance. Driver was shown before Ridely in the film, so ...

Then ANH would be Antony Daniels, Kenny Baker, David Prowse, Carrie Fisher etc.

Just watched TFA. First viewing at home, and first viewing since December. My opinion of the film hasn't changed. But I think we've debated that ad nauseam.

I do have a question, though. Ford, Hamill and Fisher got top billing, in that order. But after that, why did Adam Driver get top billing over Daisy Ridley? Daisy's character had considerably more screen time than Driver's character. Rey is clearly the protagonist, the star of the film. I realize that oftentimes an actor will get a higher billing than another, even with less screen time, if he/she is famous from previous works. And I know Daisy was a virtual unknown before TFA. But for all intents and purposes, so was Driver.

What's up with that?

The Wook

It's almost always how good your agent is. When contracts are all worked up and signed, billing - who gets top... who gets any at all - is all worked out.

I say "any at all" because, for example, it may be in the contract you can't have TWO credits. Meaning I've worked on a flick as an editor, and part as a production manager, but I can't have double credit.

Or I was on one where there can only be a supervising editor, and an assistant editor credit... I wasn't a supervisor, but an assistant in most films is like a production assistant, so I had to argue for a different credit.

It's really dumb.

It's how Usher got on the poster for "The Faculty" when he's in for like 5 minutes.

They even negotiate how long a credit stays on screen.

It's so weird.

Adam Driver did have more previous credits and was known to more people (not a lot) but he's also probably got big time agents who fought for it.

It's almost always how good your agent is. When contracts are all worked up and signed, billing - who gets top... who gets any at all - is all worked out.

I say "any at all" because, for example, it may be in the contract you can't have TWO credits. Meaning I've worked on a flick as an editor, and part as a production manager, but I can't have double credit.

Or I was on one where there can only be a supervising editor, and an assistant editor credit... I wasn't a supervisor, but an assistant in most films is like a production assistant, so I had to argue for a different credit.

It's really dumb.

It's how Usher got on the poster for "The Faculty" when he's in for like 5 minutes.

They even negotiate how long a credit stays on screen.

It's so weird.

Adam Driver did have more previous credits and was known to more people (not a lot) but he's also probably got big time agents who fought for it.

It just isn't fair.

C'mon now, Wook... you can't really be arguing that the woman should get top billing! That would be a pure example of Girl Power run AMOK!

And yes, I am totally kidding you. :D

It's funny... I personally have never paid attention to billing. and yet as NeoRutty explained to us, it's totally a thing that agents fight for and is seen as such a big deal in the film industry....while out here in Averageville I've never paid it that much mind. What a funny world we live in.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back