STAR WARS - The Acolyte lightsabers

This looks pretty decent:

Faux heat staining is on a lot of the props in modern Star Wars. Blaster and lightsabers.
I actually don't like it. The hilts from the original movies never had heat stains so it seems wrong to me. I never though of lightsabers as being heat-based weapons - it doesn't really make sense with how often Jedi hold those things up close to their faces. I know Qui-Gon used his saber to try to melt that metal door in TPM, but I always thought that was some sort of Jedi control thing, being able to raise the temperature of the lightsaber with the force, but the normal blade temperature was relatively cool.

I actually don't like it. The hilts from the original movies never had heat stains so it seems wrong to me. I never though of lightsabers as being heat-based weapons - it doesn't really make sense with how often Jedi hold those things up close to their faces. I know Qui-Gon used his saber to try to melt that metal door in TPM, but I always thought that was some sort of Jedi control thing, being able to raise the temperature of the lightsaber with the force, but the normal blade temperature was relatively cool.
Same here. I liked it on Kylo's saber. It felt fitting there, considering the nature of his saber and it instability. But not on everything.

Plus it frankly goes against the lore of the sabers. They're made of heat resistant materials and blades (and heat) are contained within a magnetic field. That's why they can burn through something like a door with ease, while the user doesn't get "Toht-ified" when it's near their face. (Yes that's a bit of silly techno mumbo jumbo. But I like it. And it's the "canon" explanation.)

Same here. I liked it on Kylo's saber. It felt fitting there, considering the nature of his saber and it instability. But not on everything.

Plus it frankly goes against the lore of the sabers. They're made of heat resistant materials and blades (and heat) are contained within a magnetic field. That's why they can burn through something like a door with ease, while the user doesn't get "Toht-ified" when it's near their face. (Yes that's a bit of silly techno mumbo jumbo. But I like it. And it's the "canon" explanation.)
The only counter to this that I'd say (though I agree it shouldn't be so prevalent) is that if the blade near the hilt clashes with anything, it would get some residual heat, and over time could get stained?

My issue with the D+ shows is that there's just no character to blades any more. They need to bring back some rotoscoping effects again. I have a theory this is a decision by Dave Filoni since he (and George) chose to make the CG animated blades completely static colours.

This pretty much confirms it. Practicality first-- she wanted the intensity of PT duels, but the practical vibes of the ST. Thick blades, hilts that won't break under pressure-- and thick handles is what you get.

Still not sure why the belt hangers had to follow the same rules-- other than that it saves them time not having to fabricate two designs if the heroes and stunts can be the same. We'll have to wait and see how the actual duels go as up to this point we've only seen them waved around.

Last edited:

“It's almost like they're in uniform—a police mentality. Same for the lightsaber design, you don't get to choose a customized fancy one. There's 500 that are all the same, you just grab one, like the default Colt for a policeman.”

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back