Star Wars Studio Scale RUMORS.

: Star Wars Studio Scale RUMORS. #6
They''ll start with real models then cheap out - or they'll make scannable blanks and call that "old school film making". Disney is too cheap,

It's actually cheaper to shoot practical effects then digital. Got to remember to shoot a single sign you need a molders, riggers, texture artist, animators and renders. Then not to mention an IT staff to handle the render farm

Kathy Kennedy has mentioned several times her desire to return to more practical effects for the ST, so I think this rumor is plenty plausible. I'd love to hear more as it becomes available.

There's another rumor floating around that Ep.VII will have the most elaborate physical sets, for a SW movie, since ROTJ. Supposedly work has already begun on them but who knows for sure. I certainly hope all this is true.

Id love to see the return of 1/1 set pieces too, the green screen shots of boarding ramps etc, hmm, but then i refuse to accept any of the Prequel Trilogy ever happened lol, i like being a Dinosaur Jase lol!

Lol!
Somewhere between a Veloceraptor & a Spinosaurus!
I'm the same.
So if the exhibits get pulled in or some go missing that may be an indicator.

I really don't think there going to use anything from the Original trilogy. being 20 years in the future or more. they will either be ships that are really beaten up. or if the future is good all new ships.

Well, if the even more beaten up ships is the style, then the current, existing, remaining models would be perfect. Many certainly look the part of twenty years on perfectly as they currently exist...having gone through 20+years of being beaten up. Just redo the lighting and go. :)

To be serious...I would imagine we will see a bit of both. A tip of the hat to x's and y's and some of the fleet ships, but also new ships continuing in the style of though. I am sure the falcon will still be around though in some way.

I really don't think there going to use anything from the Original trilogy. being 20 years in the future or more. they will either be ships that are really beaten up. or if the future is good all new ships.

For the where science meets imagination tour Many LARGE models from the prequels were there... I believe they were built then digitally scanned and used to create the textures for the CGI version that we mostly saw onscreen. They may have been used on screen somewhere its too tough to tell with the new (at the time) digital cameras they used. To my eye everything in the prequels looked a little off due to that technology...

But they did make a significant number of damn cool LARGE models. The Pod Racers, trade federation tanks, AT-TE etc... and they were really big...

Jedi Dade

For the where science meets imagination tour Many LARGE models from the prequels were there... I believe they were built then digitally scanned and used to create the textures for the CGI version that we mostly saw onscreen.

Ah, that makes sense. I've always heard people say there were tons of physical models made for Ep.I but I sure couldn't tell it. They just looked weird and kinda "off" but I never could put my finger on why that was.

I always felt that The Phantom Menace, for all its faults, was the only one of the PT that actually 'looked' like a Star Wars film, the opening scene especially with the blockade ships etc was visually in keeping with the OT I felt, for the most part

JBReplicas, I kinda know what you mean. I think it's because with Ep.II and III George threw any remaining sense of subtlety to the wind as he became more and more obsessed with colorful, overwrought spectacle. There was always a certain starkness and simplicity to the OT that I liked, and I hope the ST returns to this.

Last edited:
There was always are certain starkness and simplicity to the OT that I liked, and I hope the ST returns to this.

Could not agree more, especially with the "first" film, ANH.

Sorry, back to models. Yes, agreed, the more you build, the better it will be (goes for sets as well, as previously mentioned). I think that some of the spacecraft shots (think Star Destroyer establishers in TESB and ROTJ) in the OT hold up better than some of the all CG stuff that they did in the prequels. Granted, the tech has come a long way since the prequels, but still. That said, I'm happy to see the optical printers go the way of the dinosaur, digital compositing all the way. :)

And for Pete's sake, go to a location once in a while!

End rant. :)

I just realized, that as much time will have passed between TPM and EpVII:Jar Jar's Revenge as there was between TPM and ROTJ. Now I feel old.

So, since ILM sold off the model making part of ILM to create Kerner Optical, which then closed its doors in 2011, do the new creators of the series go to White Room Artifacts for the model work? It seems that a special effects house like George created out of need back in 1975 or so is needed now to take care of the model work. It really seems to be the same dilemma now as then.

So, since ILM sold off the model making part of ILM to create Kerner Optical, which then closed its doors in 2011, do the new creators of the series go to White Room Artifacts for the model work? It seems that a special effects house like George created out of need back in 1975 or so is needed now to take care of the model work. It really seems to be the same dilemma now as then.

I have no proof but i think 32 ten might get the job. there set up at the old ILM if i remember correctly.

Disney seems to be really excited to have a shot at Star Wars, and I wouldn't doubt that they will, in some way, tip their hat to Lucas for the honor. A nod back to "good-old-days" of film making would certainly be a great start... I have read over 250 Star Wars novels in the last 20 years or so, and I can tell you that the tech doesn't change much after ROTJ, and the Falcon is ever-present. I just hope they don't introduce the Yuzhon Vong. I have yet to see an appropriate rendition of that species or it's technology. (At least to my mind.) I predict we will see the Falcon and some Star Destroyers, ect. If the movie will take place +/- 20 years after ROTJ, that puts Han and Leia's oldest kids: Jacen and Jaina at about 15 years old, so maybe it might involve Luke's new Jedi Academy on Yavin IV... and maybe even the Shadow Academy. I can't wait to see it! I just hope they don't focus SO much on digital effects and movie tech that they neglect the story. Lots of real models and sets with a touch of that old-world cinema charm will make for a great sequel.

I'd wager that the existing post-ROTJ EU material is out the window and will have little to no bearing on the forthcoming sequel films. My 2¢.

I think you're right, Stonky. Disney has already said this will be an original story and not based on existing material. I'm not a fan of the EU so this doesn't really bother me but I suspect there will be a lot of EU fans who will not like this.

I would be amazed if the practical effects work went anywhere else other than 32Ten. Its basically built out of the bones of Kernel Optics, at the old ILM site and is staffed with so many ex ILMers you could really say it is actually vintage ILM resurrected . Plus the fact they have just heavily invested in a lot of brand new production gear including a superior very high end 3D model printing system and new high res 3D shooting equipment (to get that extra high def). You don’t make that kind of costly investment with out expecting to get a lot of new work in the future.
And, what ever you care to say about the quality of the writing in Pacific Rim, The Lone Ranger, and Elysium, most of this years effects heavy films have looked outstandingly good, and that’s because of the larger amount of practical effects work ie practical modelling that’s gone into them. And guess who did a lot of the work in those.
I thought Elysium looked magnificent, and the scenes with the scaled built Raven (with the crash particularly) were some of the best I’ve ever seen. As much as I love the original trilogy SW, there are still elements in it that make me wince when I see them these days , the explosions /pyrotechnics/ collisions /CGI aliens chiefly. There wasn’t a duff shot in Elysium. Some of the designs I didn’t like, especially the exo skeleton, but the compositional success of all the effects shots working on screen was staggeringly high in my opinion.
With everything I’ve read so far I don’t doubt for a minute they will use some highly detailed modelling in the New Trilogy (NT) because that’s been a growing trend since the film industry as a whole decided to move away from pure CGI, and the technologies and software that can combine complex effects shots now have advanced so quickly. As mentioned Chris Nolan and Peter Jackson spearheaded that set against the Prequels backlash. Interestingly Weta has recently announced some new developments that will mean another level upgrade in effects work.
The only thing that REALLY bothers me about the NT is the story and the choices made for the designs. Very few of the craft in the prequels felt as if they had come from the same universe, in fact their sleek curved shapes and finishes felt like they had come after OT Star Wars.
That’s the impression you get when you look something like the Ralph Mc Quarrie concept X wing. Its smaller, curved ,sleeker and far more modern looking than the later on screen X wings. Arguably it looks like an X wing fighter that was produced after Return of the Jedi. Same with the Prequel Blockade Runner, it looked so wrong in the Return of the Sith, yet the Radiant design felt spot on and that was set way to early on in the PTM. Whilst I applaud the fact that they are using the old concept art and designs for the new “Rebels” series, I’m not sure that it will all feel right. They would, for example, have been ok to use the Ralph McQ Artoo in the prequels because it looks less advanced ,but wrong to use the X wing pre OT because of that curved hull and stylishly more modern appearance.
And that’s the main issue for me. I thought the most of the aliens and spacecraft in the prequels looked unrealistic, over complex and far too computer designed against the originals (even without the later CGI enhancements)which had a lean, angular, real world feel to them. I know skillsets and designs with the very first Star Wars movie meant the models were “rushed”,“kit bashed” and filmed simplistically because of the effort to develop the technology to even do it but that basic, practical ,no frills and simple look was exactly what defined the SW universe so uniquely believable. A dozen snub fighters or just four AT's looks far more realistic in a battlefield than having hundreds of them.
If they managed to rope Joe Johnson in for just a few space craft designs I would be ecstatic because then I think that visually they would really have a chance of capturing the look we are looking for. Anyway, they have got a hell of a task a head of them because there are so many iconic craft in the OT . I cannot think of any spacecraft in the thirty years since that have been as cool as the Falcon.
JJA needs to get Simon Pegg and a few of his old Star Wars mates to come and give their opinions on the preproduction artwork (after signing the NDA documents in blood naturally). With that new 3D printer, producing the models will be relatively swift and easy,firstly to get an idea how they look on screen and secondly to mass produce. Get them right and Disney, the toy manufacturers , and the fans will dance in merchandising delight. Get them wrong and it will all just choke up the warehouses gathering dust like they did with the Phantom Menace.

If they contradict the EU, I won't have to bother watching it to see if they made a crap film, cause if they did, then it will be! :angry I'm just gonna ring my meditation chime and think happy thoughts. :) Does anyone know if they will re-release the originals in theaters prior to ep.VII's release? I never miss an opportunity to watch the holy trinity on the big screen! :D

*the next SW Celebration for 2015 is up for grabs, BTW. It'll be in Anaheim, CA. and tickets are already on sale. I won't have the money, so I am affraid I'll miss it. :(

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back