Star Wars Studio Scale RUMORS.

Well, ive been hearing a lot of Rumors around that the new Star Wars movie is going to use Real models. the sources are reliable. so lets hope this turns out to be true.

I will keep this updated if I find anything else out.

I read or heard that there were more real models made for Episode 1 than for the entire OT.
Maybe someone correct me on this?

Kathleen Kennedy confirmed at CE2 that they are going to use a lot of traditional techniques for filming, since JJA prefers this way of working. I think that GL did focus too much on advancing movie making technologies and lost the focus on what is really important in visual storytelling.
Who knows, maybe someone from the RPF can land a job with ILM or the shop that will do the model work? Aren´t they already hiring? WIth their schedule for the first movie they definitely should already be up to their eyebrows in kit boxes :p

They''ll start with real models then cheap out - or they'll make scannable blanks and call that "old school film making". Disney is too cheap,

Im with Guy, a reliable source is indeed HP :lol, really cant see it happening though Al, its all too easy to run it through the box of chips!

lee

It would be a dream come true to see that happen Al, but it just feels time and tech has moved on so much, why would they go through all the hassle of capturing physical models, pains me to say that, really does lol. Its like the recent offering of The Thing, they actually filmed FX creatures, then still went with CGI, due to studio pressure i think? Could be wrong, but, tragic really!

lee

- - - Updated - - -

But getting together to drink, sounds a good option :lol

lee

For Episodes I, from what I understand, there was some minimal ship models used on screen. Radiant VII landing sequence and Trade Federation's horseshoe ships stick in my mind. Digitally enhance I am sure, but still models used.

There were how however many scenes that used location miniatures for scenic shots in I-III....naboo city flyover, flying into general grievous's lair, podrace stadium, interior of genoshan stadium, obiwan's friends diner outside, some of the cloner's base interior shots, jedi library....more i am sure.

For the ships, Star Ship troopers used miniatures...well...big miniatures...and i think it looks fantastic.

I was reading...hmmm...somewhere...that it is often the directors that push for all digital...not necessarily always the production teams. That way they can change their mind easily, on the fly rather than plan ahead their shots.

When I read the title of this thread I hear RUMORS like the old Late Night w Conan bit SECRETS. The word is whispered before a celebrity guest reveals all. Love it. Lol.

Loads of practical effects done for the prequels. Lorne Peterson covers it on the Sculpting a Galaxy DVD. I recall him pushing for shots, reminding George and company that there were simple in-camera solutions. The landed chrome ship on Tatooine in TPM, the extensive lava low of Mustafar in ROTS. To what extent these elements were modified in post production I cannot say, I never watch those movies.

All we can hope for is a best of both worlds scenario for the upcoming films. The computer is afterall a great tool for compositing individual elements.

In a whisper voice,

RUMORS.

Well they have enough models to use so I am hoping they actually do.
There was little plausible reality in the last lot of movies through over use of CGI.
They need to build things in real life to actually make you think its a plausible reality.
1/1 falcon etc etc etc etc or scaled miniatures for the stuff that's too big.....
Not CGI.

It would be a dream come true to see that happen Al, but it just feels time and tech has moved on so much, why would they go through all the hassle of capturing physical models, pains me to say that, really does lol.

You realize we still make and shoot real practical model for movies right? :)

For Episodes I, from what I understand, there was some minimal ship models used on screen. Radiant VII landing sequence and Trade Federation's horseshoe ships stick in my mind. Digitally enhance I am sure, but still models used.

There were how however many scenes that used location miniatures for scenic shots in I-III....naboo city flyover, flying into general grievous's lair, podrace stadium, interior of genoshan stadium, obiwan's friends diner outside, some of the cloner's base interior shots, jedi library....more i am sure.

For the ships, Star Ship troopers used miniatures...well...big miniatures...and i think it looks fantastic.

I was reading...hmmm...somewhere...that it is often the directors that push for all digital...not necessarily always the production teams. That way they can change their mind easily, on the fly rather than plan ahead their shots.

This is just a small sample of models built and shot for Phantom Menace. There are many more but I was lazy about finding pictures.
As far as real models for the next Star Wars movie, I hope so!!!! But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You realize we still make and shoot real practical model for movies right? :)

Yup, but I'm skeptical as hell on it happening for Starwars mate, my two cents, for what its worth :)
Dont get me wrong, id be first to applaud it, i wouldn't be doing this otherwise, but its how time has moved on, and soooo much is done in the computer now, regardless of concept maquette modelling. Even just a small amount of physical builds on the movie would mean a ton to me!

lee

Well they have enough models to use so I am hoping they actually do.
There was little plausible reality in the last lot of movies through over use of CGI.
They need to build things in real life to actually make you think its a plausible reality.
1/1 falcon etc etc etc etc or scaled miniatures for the stuff that's too big.....
Not CGI.

Id love to see the return of 1/1 set pieces too, the green screen shots of boarding ramps etc, hmm, but then i refuse to accept any of the Prequel Trilogy ever happened lol, i like being a Dinosaur Jase lol!

This is just a small sample of models built and shot for Phantom Menace. There are many more but I was lazy about finding pictures.
As far as real models for the next Star Wars movie, I hope so!!!! But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It was great seeing all those models up close in the Paris exhibit.

But when I sat in the theatre last year and watched EP1, I was shocked to see how "bad" most of it looked in the 3D conversion and digital projection. The miniature sets of the interior of the federation ship with Anakin and Obi-Wan looked terribly out of scale due to lack of dof, I assume. And the explosion of the Corvette right at the beginning of EP1 already took me out of the movie experience when I first saw it in 1999 (wow, has it been that long?). This, to me, shows that it is an art form that needs quite some experience to get it done right. I do hope that they hire people who still have the necessary knowledge, not only to build studio scale models but to photograph them correcty.

Yup, but I'm skeptical as hell on it happening for Starwars mate, my two cents, for what its worth :)
Dont get me wrong, id be first to applaud it, i wouldn't be doing this otherwise, but its how time has moved on, and soooo much is done in the computer now, regardless of concept maquette modelling. Even just a small amount of physical builds on the movie would mean a ton to me!

lee

Yeah I hear ya. I like to think of my self as cautiously optimistic.

Id love to see the return of 1/1 set pieces too, the green screen shots of boarding ramps etc, hmm, but then i refuse to accept any of the Prequel Trilogy ever happened lol, i like being a Dinosaur Jase lol!

I agree with you. I think we definitely need to see real full size sets. Hopefully it will a good blend of digital and practical vfx.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back