Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

I was curious what your list was, since you mentioned it in a definitive statement. Not to argue, not to try to change your mind, I'm genuinely curious what you feel the Kenobi show retcon'ed about ANH.

Unless you meant to say "Even if it doesn't retcon things, which I believe it does, I feel it diminishes the meaning from the originals with every addition that recontextualizes it."
Your just looking for the bullet points....the cliff notes version of the thread?

I look at the originals the way I do because that's the way they were presented. There may be some subtext to the writing that allows an audience to infer meaning or symbolism, but as a narrative that line is distinct enough to definitely say xyz happened, pxq, don't fit in based on the xyz that came before and these are supposed to be one continuous story. Telling an audience they have to rethink everything the second a new story comes out is the reason why George began alienating fans because he just couldn't make up his mind.

Can’t say the writing would have been better but hey might have at least had a bigger budget or made better use of their budget. I mean, for crying out loud, half or more of the props of this show seemed to be Master Replicas. What’s next—are we going to see Hasbro stuff as props? Kenner?

I think I read somewhere that at least TFA, if not the other ST films, was shot on some of the same lenses/type of lenses as the OT. And shot on film, if I’m not mistaken. One of the few things the movie gets right, but it does. Shooting all this digital stuff makes some things easier but it’s just too sterile and clean, and obviously in the case of this show and the LED stunt blades, not the right choice. The digital sensors were blown out by the excess of chroma information put out by the LED blades.

Oh Boy! Star Wars fans are here
0A589DB2-44AE-41D1-B1D3-14B99B6DA9CE.png

Your just looking for the bullet points....the cliff notes version of the thread?
No, I’ve been involved and reading this thread since page 1 and contributed many posts.

I’m not interested in a summary of the issues everyone had with the show. Like I said, I’ve been reading along with this entire posts since it was created.

Psab keel said specifically that the Kenobi show retcons the OT. I wanted to know why he said that, what he saw in the Kenobi show that retcons the OT.

I don’t feel like the Kenobi show retcons the OT, but Psab keel said it does. If I’m not seeing what he’s seeing I want to know, to learn, to grow, if what he says are facts and not opinions.

But I’ve asked and he hasn’t listed yet the retcons he’s talking about.

What from the OT is retcon'ed via the Kenobi show?
Hello James, i would try watching ROTJ and listen to the lines of dialogue for one...Kenobi show(Vader speaks with Obo-wan)- Obi-wan says" then my friend is truly gone".....ROTJ(Vader speaks to Luke)-Luke says, "Then my father is truly gone".

To me, it's no different than TFA where you are retelling a story and using the same format...That whole entire movie was Lazy. The Kenobi show did the same thing with each episode. Someone already up in the thread...think it was USAGI in his finale prediction listed a synopsis of how each episode was an allusion to the PT and the OT and used specific references.

I agree with Psab...glad people like it but to me, they just cannot get away from being lazy with writing and production while they fill their own pockets with gobs of fan money.

Imagine what a thread on here will look like with a completely new series, with new characters not tied in to anything Skywalker, Rogue One, Rebels etc... I'm actually looking forward to they day when we all can come on here and not have to make even ONE flippin reference to the OT, PT, or TOT(That Other Trilogy) concerning another tv series. I may be the king of wishful thinking here but maybe when they release a Star Wars movie when we are all collecting social security, it will be a very Unifying day for MOST Star Wars fans. We can all experience something NEW together.

Possible Titles of future Star Wars projects(If they continue this trend)
1. Ewoks Voyage to the fallen Death Star-to complete the Ewok movie trilogy(Ewoks with no sailing experience at all sail across treacherous Endor waters to find a new set of drums.)
2. Star Wars: I've got a bad feeling about this
3.Poe Rey Me finn solo ulaa Shaak Ti and Doh! A Star Wars Simpsons musical
4. Star Wars: Force Ghost Busters(A behind the scenes look at how Anakin wasn't originally accepted on the Force Ghost council)
5. PORG and Beans: A Star Wars cooking show
6. Willy Wampa And The Vanilla Slushy factory
7. Like a Bantha: a very slowed down Star Wars competition where Vespa speeders race Little Leia's kidnappers

It would've worked far better edited down as a 2 hour movie but still would likely have a lot of the same flaws. I agree on the budget for this show really showing in so many aspects. This should've had a way bigger budget than TBOBF and at least equal to that of the Mandalorian if not more so that it didn't feel like a fan film.

I keep rewatching the rescore edited youtube version of the Vader/Obi-Wan duel and it works so much better as one continuous scene with the ROTS score. The shakey cam is really obnoxious and it feels so out of place especially there. I'm glad they didn't adopt super slow motion fight scenes though.

It would've worked far better edited down as a 2 hour movie but still would likely have a lot of the same flaws. I agree on the budget for this show really showing in so many aspects. This should've had a way bigger budget than TBOBF and at least equal to that of the Mandalorian if not more so that it didn't feel like a fan film.

I keep rewatching the rescore edited youtube version of the Vader/Obi-Wan duel and it works so much better as one continuous scene with the ROTS score. The shakey cam is really obnoxious and it feels so out of place especially there. I'm glad they didn't adopt super slow motion fight scenes though.
I shudder to think of Zach Snyder-esque slo-mo appearing in Star Wars someday.

I agree with Psab...glad people like it but to me, they just cannot get away from being lazy with writing and production while they fill their own pockets with gobs of fan money.
And what's wrong with making money? It's not like Disney bought Star Wars because it was great art and they wanted to make more art. Disney has long stopped being into making art, certainly not since Walt died and like all major Hollywood studios, they're in the business of making money. Everything they do is to make money, even their woke messaging because they think it will appeal to a certain demographic, so why would you expect anything different from their handling of Star Wars? Hell, by Jedi even George was in it for the money to some degree at least.

And what's wrong with making money? It's not like Disney bought Star Wars because it was great art and they wanted to make more art. Disney has long stopped being into making art, certainly not since Walt died and like all major Hollywood studios, they're in the business of making money. Everything they do is to make money, even their woke messaging because they think it will appeal to a certain demographic, so why would you expect anything different from their handling of Star Wars? Hell, by Jedi even George was in it for the money to some degree at least.
You missed my point...nothing wrong with making money at all...You quoted me so should see my intent. Gobs of fan money...our money. The very least they can do is provide better goods for the money we've provided...thats my point. Have you ever been an employer? I have. I don't particularly like paying lazy people who don't do their jobs...they usually get fired...because they are lazy. Disney needs to realize who their employer is as well...just saying

I think Qui-Gon is the carrot for season 2 if they make one. You know there will be flashbacks and you know Mace will be in one of them if they go that route. Hold onto your MR Qui-Gon if you have one is all I'm saying.
I can see in S2 that old "Two Soldiers trapped in a Wasteland" trope being trotted out next season...

One being an injured Vader the other an injured Obi-Wan..
Que the nostalgia and flashbacks, they team up unwillingly to survive Sandworms and seem to be making a connection when they are rescued.
Disney your welcome :D

I think there is a documentary on the Black Cauldron and how that changed the way Disney made animation movies forever moving forward. It became more corporate after that.

No, I’ve been involved and reading this thread since page 1 and contributed many posts.

I’m not interested in a summary of the issues everyone had with the show. Like I said, I’ve been reading along with this entire posts since it was created.

Psab keel said specifically that the Kenobi show retcons the OT. I wanted to know why he said that, what he saw in the Kenobi show that retcons the OT.

I don’t feel like the Kenobi show retcons the OT, but Psab keel said it does. If I’m not seeing what he’s seeing I want to know, to learn, to grow, if what he says are facts and not opinions.

I think you're right that there is more that's re-contextualized than there is that's actually retconned. Especially if you simply look at the words spoken in the films/ events as they played out and take absolutely nothing else into account. The point of contention is whether Disney should re-contextualize and retcon the OT at all ever. Some say yes others say no.

I believe it's not there their place regardless of ownership. It's like buying a classic car and replacing parts from another newer model and selling it as the original. Or more accurately adding new parts that weren't even there in the first place and acting like they are or should be part of the original car when they stick out like a sore thumb and don't even fit it's style. But to each their own.

I've deleted this post because I think it was seen by some as an attack. I want to assure anyone that read it that I was sharing my own genuine feelings that I've realized in my own life, & if it was taken as anything other than that, I truly & sincerely apologize.

I am sorry.

Last edited:

If you're not interested in the issues people have with the show, then you've already made up your mind and repeating myself is unnecessary because nothing I say after 172 pages is going change your mind. Though to be clear, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just offering my persective. We don't have to agree. I still respect you and I'm glad you got enjoyment out of the show. I really am. The same applies to anyone I disagree with about it.

We're all adults here. I just run on the assumption that when discussing these things, that everyone is stating their opinion. I don't think it's necessary to qualify our statements with phrases that have to disclose the obvious. Facts are irrefutable. If what I said were fact, we'd all be in agreement.

All that said, I appreciate your posts. I appreciate you. I'm genuinely happy for you if you love the show.

Think of it from Disney’s point of view.

We make camtonos for GE, sold out in less than a week.

We make republic credit replicas from BOBF for GE, sold out in a week.

Imperial credits for GE, sold out in a week.

‘New’ Hasbro Kenobi lightsaber on preorder, sold out on line.

Halcyon starcruiser, sells out each week.

Mandalorian merch, can’t keep it on the shelves.

Star Wars has always primarily been about merchandise sales. Disney has no reason to believe that they are failing.

Think of it from Disney’s point of view.

We make camtonos for GE, sold out in less than a week.

We make republic credit replicas from BOBF for GE, sold out in a week.

Imperial credits for GE, sold out in a week.

‘New’ Hasbro Kenobi lightsaber on preorder, sold out on line.

Halcyon starcruiser, sells out each week.

Mandalorian merch, can’t keep it on the shelves.

Star Wars has always primarily been about merchandise sales. Disney has no reason to believe that they are failing.
You have to remember though all that merch sells out because of scalpers contributing to that. The preorder sabers sold out so quickly because of bots buying them mostly. There are some wild variables to it all. At the end of the day Disney still says yeah look at how fast our merch sells but its also more than that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back