Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

I'm not against animation. In fact I love it. I'm against poor story choices that break the continuity of existing work. If you can't tell a story within the confines of the established material without constantly conflicting with it, it's a good sign you really need to consider how well the new addition actually works as a story. If you have to compartmentalize each series in a time line that's supposed to be contiguous then it brings into question the intention of the writer and whether it's necessary to make the addition.

Plus some ideas are just dumb. Helicopter lightsabers are dumb. It doesn't mean all of Clone Wars or Rebels are bad shows though. It just means I don't like that element of them.

Oh.. I didn't think you really meant that they actually use them to fly until I looked it up. :rolleyes:

Even Lord Nyax from the old EU thinks flying lightsabers are stupid and he had lightsabers coming out of his knees.

Lord_Nyax_A.jpg

Thanks for posting that. It seems to confirm my suspicion that the show is just ridiculous fan service. The attempt at dramatic tension in that scene was comical, the creators should be embarrassed for ever producing it, even in a cartoon.
After I saw Solo I was under the impression Maul was a bionic spider, apparently he learned another force power (along with reading minds!?).
According to the PT Anakin is the "chosen one" when did it become Luke? I thought he was "a new hope" after the Jedi order f'ed up and allowed a Sith lord to run the Senate.
It's a hell of a hot mess as far as continuity!
And you clearly didn't watch the series. They built up to it for a long time. I can admit it was a bit of a weak payoff, but it still played pretty well.

I never referred to the cartoon as stupid but I do continuously judge entertainment, just like everyone else does.
Fan service is when you bring a dead character back because of popularity with fans. Much like a certain dented helm...
There's nothing wrong with enjoying that type of thing, sometimes I enjoy it too but it has to work into the original narrative organically.
He was brought back early in clone wars. Earlier in fan art. Not sure if he hit comics before clone wars, but yeah at that time there was a definite near unanimous position of 'why? he cut the #&)( in half'.

Even Lord Nyax from the old EU thinks flying lightsabers are stupid and he had lightsabers coming out of his knees.

View attachment 1512300

He looks like an idiot too and his name sucks. So did that space rabbit from the early Marvel comics. Some ideas just don't work and that's fine. It's best to leave those in the dust bin and forget they ever happened. Like the Sequels.

He was brought back early in clone wars. Earlier in fan art. Not sure if he hit comics before clone wars, but yeah at that time there was a definite near unanimous position of 'why? he cut the #&)( in half'.

I'm aware that his return occurred long before his appearance in Clone Wars. George got enough heat from fans and I'm sure part of him regretted killing Maul off so perhaps he brought him back, in part to appease the fans but also because he thought there could be some interesting potential story material there.

Personally I've always been against his ressurection because dude man got bisected and fell down a mine shaft. Death has to have consequences, even in fiction, or it undermines the tension that undergirds the narrative.

Thanks for posting that. It seems to confirm my suspicion that the show is just ridiculous fan service. The attempt at dramatic tension in that scene was comical, the creators should be embarrassed for ever producing it, even in a cartoon.
After I saw Solo I was under the impression Maul was a bionic spider, apparently he learned another force power (along with reading minds!?).
According to the PT Anakin is the "chosen one" when did it become Luke? I thought he was "a new hope" after the Jedi order f'ed up and allowed a Sith lord to run the Senate.
It's a hell of a hot mess as far as continuity!
Luke isn't the Chosen One, it was shown that Kenobi thought Luke was, which makes sense after what happened with Anakin, coupled with Kenobi insisting to Luke that Anakin was gone completely in the OT.

Technically if you ask Lucas he will tell you leia was the chosen one, at least that’s what they are saying right now

“The Chosen One”…. I always snicker at the Jedi beliefs in predestination and how quickly they seem to move from one Chosen One” to anotherhokey religious and, well, you know the rest.

Speaking of Snickers, and speaking of predestination…

Selection B48….Snickers bar… my intuition tells me that it is YOUR destiny to be “The Chosen One”, today!

B66BE1B5-A2B0-4E91-89D6-2C5011AFB23D.jpeg

The guy had to do something in all that time. You can't just sit in a hut for 20 years. How did he even eat? Aren't Jedi all about "no possessions?" How did he even have any money/credits to get food or anything?

I'm hoping the series is maybe flashbacks or something. I agree that he shouldn't face Vader in this, but I don't really have a problem with him going offworld for a bit.

That is the definition of fan service. I was one of the fans wondering why that character was wasted so early in the PT, it was a huge misstep by George. Much like having Boba go out like a punk in ROTJ,
however I accepted it as part of the story being told.
All these resurrections being done, (literally decades later) feel cheap to me and appear to be obvious fan service created by a non-creative committee purely for marketing rather than someone exercising a creative vision.
There are ways to tell more stories about Boba and Maul without disrupting story continuity. It might be cool to explore Maul and Dooku in a pre-prequel animated series that could include the Jedi order characters. It's certainly easier to keep continuity writing a prequel rather than an in-between-quel.
I'm not suggesting they SHOULD be done but they COULD be done without robbing the story of weight by showing that a character's death has no consequences.
I "told" many tales of the exciting adventures of Boba out bounty hunting with my Star Wars "guys" (action figures) as a kid, in my head they all went down before ROTJ because after losing my Dad in 1982 I knew physical death was permanent.

I'm not trying to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the new material or be insulting towards fans of it. I'll try to keep my criticisms to a minimum but between the helicopter lightsabers and hearing that Obi fought Maul a second time...it was a lot to take in. ;)

Jedi are allowed to work and earn money, they just don’t seek immense wealth and personal gain. They’re ambassadors just as much as they are monks, they can assimilate and function within the social and economic structures of their area of operation.

Bigdaddy the sticking point for me seems to come down to the definition of fan service. In my opinion fan service is “whoa member the Millenium Falcon! Member Parsecs! Member blue milk” and less so exploring characters that fans liked and wanted more of.

SW is ripe with the former examples and it exhausts me. By that same token I think utilizing Maul or a character like him well goes beyond that boilerplate fan service and becomes valuable content in its own right. I love the OT for being the original, warts and all, but I find myself much more immersed in some of these tertiary stories and characters as time goes by.

I'm personally going to avoid having any negative or positive expectations for this show & just go in straight neutral. This supposed rematch between Ben and Vader does seem a bit concerning, but as far as I am concerned right now, I don't know jack on how it will specifically go down, so when I watch it, i'll personally go in without putting any expectations whatsoever.

I do recommend everyone to read the John Jackson Miller legends "Kenobi" novel that came out in 2013. My all-time favorite star wars book next to the alphabet squadron trilogy.

The fate of Star Wars has always been predicted within the story of Star Wars itself...it's embedded. There is peace and prosperity but a power hungry tyrannical wolf has crept in and disguised itself as a sheep among the flocks and has slowly amassed power grab after power grab, little strongholds then eventually bigger ones. All this during a time when everyone's senses have been lulled to sleep with complacency. Now in order to set his plan in motion he needs just one very gifted person that everyone trusts to be his catalyst for change. He needs to convince that one person that his plan is better and that he has his best interest at heart...but of course, he does not. If he can cause confusion and chaos and muddy the water enough then he can call good evil and evil good and now use his greatest convert to carry his torch for the rest of the galaxy. Many of the faithful will be targeted and cancelled but a few will isolate out of sight in the hopes to protect the future of the babies...yes, there are two. One has all the focus associated with him to grow up strong and sees the hope and the good that might still remain in the once good convert, the puppet of the tyrant. The other stays pretty much out of sight and out of mind but both are necessary to confront the evil and restore it back to the good. One has a direct, personal approach. The other, a tactical one. These twins have to work together with one purpose. The only way this happens is through conviction and confrontation. Behind the scenes the twins have a lot of outside help that join in their mission. Without the confrontation, the convert wouldn't have been able to see now the difference between good and evil that was once clouded by the tyrant. Therefor, Anakin Skywalker remains the Chosen one. Anakin Skywalker is Star Wars. He started out with innocence and gifts above all his fellows...all the potential in the world...until he let his skills get to his head and his inner conflicts and insecurities eventually allowed himself to be deceived by the Emperor...he sold out for fear of loss. He became Darth Vader. The Emperor convinced him he could prevent the ones he loves from dying...what a lie. He became the very thing he swore to save his beloved from. He has children. Children that have grown up and know that he has become Darth Vader, the puppet of the Emperor but his kids have to work together, with outside help from friends, and still see the good left in him and confront him. It's the only way he will truly see the error of his ways and the wicked scheme of his puppetmaster. Maybe one day when his son gets to unmask him, he will hear the words.."you were right...you were right about me". His death was inevitable but his legacy will be carried out through the children and their rebel friends. May the force be with you...always.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back