Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

No it literally happened. So incredibly dumb. Even for a cartoon. I know this is fiction and I know there is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief but some ideas are just bad and they can take you right out of the story. Finding a balance where you push it far enough to be exotic and exciting but not going too far over the edge is the key.

The basic rule in speculative fiction is the more outlandish the setting or scenario, the more grounded and relatable your characters must be in order for the audience to suspend their disbelief enough to invest themselves in the story.

It's really the difference between telling a good story and a great story if you can find that balance. Some authors have a tendency to just say oh wouldn't it be cool if, insert outlandish idea, and assume because it's fiction that audiences will accept it, yet the reality is that if it contradicts or is too far out of the bounds of the reality established in that fictional world, it will break the illusion.

When you tell a story you're asking an audience to trust you and you have to be very careful not to betray that trust. As dramatic as that sounds it's true because that's how people get so emotionally invested in these things and that's also why the best ones live on forever.

Last edited:
Since that happened at the end of Season 2, and Filoni stepped back from day-to-day involvement of Rebels in Season 3, I wonder if there's some overlap there, that he was already focusing on his new position by the time these things came along. I like to think so anyway. ;)
That’s what I figured until there was a YouTube video of him talking about it.. idk maybe he was trying to ease over the backlash

I remember when it first debuted a lot of fans went “heeeeeh?”

Lol

He better be the only one touching the ahsoka series

Oh.. I didn't think you really meant that they actually use them to fly until I looked it up. :rolleyes:

7D47F21F-D085-49EB-9906-06968F1F1488.jpeg

Forgive me if this was covered somewhere up above and i missed it but if Obi-wan is on Tatooinne for the long haul and we know that Darth Maul in the animation series seeks the life of OBI and discovers the Chosen One is there, do you think they will do a recreation of a fight between Darth Maul and Obiwan(As short as it was) or is it already assumed that came and went? At the end of that episode Luke is already a little boy running across the desert. Keep in mind Obi now has Mauls lightsaber(cut in two) two kyber crystals etc. The 18 year gap is now reduced to lets say, a 13 year or less years time frame based on Lukes age at this point...That makes the whole Vader/Obi confrontation(inferred by the Obiwan show) that much more absurd if it's not just a premonition and happened on Tatoinne. Apparently Vader never sensed Maul's presence on Tatooinne, nor his death nor why Obiwan was there as Maul seemed to. That means Obi has to leave at some point during those 13 or less years to face Vader somewhere else which makes no sense whatsoever....hmmm, am i missing a key point somewhere? i probably am.

Think about the power dynamic during this time in the story. Not only have the Jedi been deemed traitors to the government but they were summarily executed. Since they had no virtually no allies to defend them or clear their names and at least during ROTS there was no Rebellion, what choice did Obi-Wan or Yoda really have? Either they fight, outnumbered and risk having Luke or Leia murdered, or they go into hiding and protect the whereabouts/ known existence of the Chosen One's children a secret in the slim hope that they might rise up one day to restore order to the galaxy. This makes Obi-Wan and Yoda's exile selfless, rather than selfish because they weren't just going off to sulk like cowards.

As a character arc, it speaks to Obi-Wan's nobility that he recognized his fault in training Anakin and spent the rest of his life protecting the children that would one day make things right. Luke Skywalker is Obi-Wan's redemption, which means protecting him is the key to everything being made right. So in essense not only is Anakin redeemed by the end of ROTJ, but Luke succeeds in stopping Vader, something that Obi-Wan was unable to do and ultimately means that Obi-Wan's sacrifice to protect and train Luke was not in vain. Not only that but Luke exceeded his mentors by taking a path that neither Obi-Wan nor Yoda could forsee and instead of killing his father, helped turn Anakin back to the light by believing that Anakin maintained a spark of his humanity.

In this way each of the Jedi maintains their nobility. They're all flawed but ultimately prove their worth by the choices they make and isn't the good vs. evil story of Star Wars more about the choices the characters make rather than their inherent temperament? This is why the narrative is more rich than people tend to give it credit for. It may deal with those timeless themes of morality but the narrative challenges the characters in ways that speaks to their flawed humanity because their choices are what define them rather than where they come from.

To this end I think the possibility of all this meaning is potentially undermined by the slightest deviation from the existing material. So if the writers move to change these things I think they should tread very carefully.
Thank you for this!!! Spot on

CopperRevan

The fight between Maul and Ben happens 2BBY, so it’s highly likely it won’t have already happened in this show.
now it's even more confusing, especially if they just pass over it like nothing even happened. After watching the Empire Strikes Back, in Luke's training he faces Darth Vader on Dagobah in a vision or whatever, i wonder if that's the direction they will go with the Obi-Wan show...like Obiwan goes through trials while being taught by Quigons force ghost, fearing that he will fail protecting Luke from Vader and has a similar experience and premonition that he must face Vader again at some point and that's where Hayden comes in.

now it's even more confusing, especially if they just pass over it like nothing even happened. After watching the Empire Strikes Back, in Luke's training he faces Darth Vader on Dagobah in a vision or whatever, i wonder if that's the direction they will go with the Obi-Wan show...like Obiwan goes through trials while being taught by Quigons force ghost, fearing that he will fail protecting Luke from Vader and has a similar experience and premonition that he must face Vader again at some point and that's where Hayden comes in.
There was a small comic run of what obiwan did on tatoonie when Luke was probably 10-11 years old. I thought it was really really good

Seeing now the cartoon show and movies changing/erasing things that have happened in the books I wonder if the Kenobi series will show or do a version of what happened in the comics

Spoiler
in the comics obiwan spends most of his time hiding from Lars while watching over luke, luke gets into some trouble with sand people and Kenobi saves him. When Kenobi Returns luke to the Lars family home unharmed.Uncle Owen always blames Kenobi for the trouble luke gets in, and doesn’t want Kenobi around the area. Jabbas goons come to collect taxes from the Lars family and bully and beats them, Kenobi defends the family farm, and Owen still yells at Kenobi and tells him he only brings trouble to the farm. A big Wookiee bounty hunter ends up on the planet and bumps into luke, Kenobi kicks his ass. And when he returns luke this time lars banishes Kenobi from the area. Kenobi spends most of his time in bantha herds meditating, or roaming the Lars farm in dust storms.. checking up on luke.

In the Rebels show. I don't know how Maul found him but here it is.

Thanks for posting that. It seems to confirm my suspicion that the show is just ridiculous fan service. The attempt at dramatic tension in that scene was comical, the creators should be embarrassed for ever producing it, even in a cartoon.
After I saw Solo I was under the impression Maul was a bionic spider, apparently he learned another force power (along with reading minds!?).
According to the PT Anakin is the "chosen one" when did it become Luke? I thought he was "a new hope" after the Jedi order f'ed up and allowed a Sith lord to run the Senate.
It's a hell of a hot mess as far as continuity!

The fight between Maul and Kenobi is built up throughout that whole season, and it really is a good payoff when you watch it all in order. Maul has lived through a lot by this point and it’s basically the Warriors death that he has been seeking since his “resurrection”. Hard for me to call that fan service but what do I know, I like all these “stupid cartoons” that everyone loves to continuously judge.

Also yes Maul had spider legs at one point but this fight happens probably 15 years past that point and he has had normal cybernetic legs for a while.

The fight between Maul and Kenobi is built up throughout that whole season, and it really is a good payoff when you watch it all in order. Maul has lived through a lot by this point and it’s basically the Warriors death that he has been seeking since his “resurrection”. Hard for me to call that fan service but what do I know, I like all these “stupid cartoons” that everyone loves to continuously judge.

Also yes Maul had spider legs at one point but this fight happens probably 15 years past that point and he has had normal cybernetic legs for a while.
I never referred to the cartoon as stupid but I do continuously judge entertainment, just like everyone else does.
Fan service is when you bring a dead character back because of popularity with fans. Much like a certain dented helm...
There's nothing wrong with enjoying that type of thing, sometimes I enjoy it too but it has to work into the original narrative organically.

Something I find odd about this whole thing is the very fact they've openly talked about this Obi-wan/Vader rematch. Doesn't that seem like a big thing to just blatantly spoil? Clearly they must not deem it important enough to keep secret so one wonders why that is considering how tight lipped LFL historically has been for things that matter?

Something I find odd about this whole thing is the very fact they've openly talked about this Obi-wan/Vader rematch. Doesn't that seem like a big thing to just blatantly spoil? Clearly they must not deem it important enough to keep secret so one wonders why that is considering how tight lipped LFL historically has been for things that matter?
They probably think the buzz it'll create is worth more than keeping it a surprise.

Well I'd think that but I feel like the simple fact it's a Kenobi series starring Ewan McGregor would create enough buzz on it's own. Regardless of my own mixed feelings about it, I know a great many fans were clamoring for this. They didn't even spoil The Mandalorian and Kenobi is about a well-known and popular character.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back