Star Wars- Gamorrean Guard & Rancor

Gans

Sr Member
Hi

Very new here but just thought I would post the two figures I am working on.

Just starting on the base to go with my Rancor and Guard. Then will detail and refine painting and weathering on all subjects
rancor%20on%20base.jpg

Gans
Brisbane Model Builder

Excellent paintjob, though the Rancor was more in the brown family, wasn't he?

I just pulled my model kit of this out a week or so back and like so many other of my props/models, wondered when I'd ever get around to finishing it...

Yours looks great though. :cool:thumbsup

I've thought about buying and building the old Revell kit, but at the same time...I think maybe a S.S sculpt and/or posable S.S puppet might be a more fun project.

Hi

Yes it is the old AMT kit but it is still a great kit by todays standard.
He may be brown in the movie but I like my colours more.

Gans

I lke your colors too.Who says you have to paint it up just like the film puppet?I'm a big believe in "artistic freedom" and using your own imagination.Although it is quite a technical feat and art in itself replicating what ILM put on film too.How much did you do that was airbrusing vs. washes and dry brushing?Are you making a diorama w/this kit?The inside of the cave and what not?I like what you have done so far,it looks pretty cool to my eyes.

An excellent paint job!!!! Very natural looking.

My only criticism (and that is with the kit itself, not your work)is the guard. Not that big a fan of his pose though. He looks way to stiff and doesn't look natural being held in the Rancor's hand. kind of toy like. But that's how it was scuplted.

Just so you'll know, I wasn't knocking your colors. I do think they look great. :cool:thumbsup

Hi

Yes it is the old AMT kit but it is still a great kit by todays standard.
He may be brown in the movie but I like my colours more.

Gans

Very nice, I like the color. Take a photo in natural light, it may give a better idea of the real colors to the camera. Incandescent lighting will make it look warmer or yellow, and florescent lights can make it look cooler, more blue or purple.

I agree the guard pose is crap, if I had the time and skill I would repose his arms. I was thinking about having one of his arms ripped off with the hand on the rancors tooth but thought it would be to gory

My only criticism (and that is with the kit itself, not your work)is the guard. Not that big a fan of his pose though. He looks way to stiff and doesn't look natural being held in the Rancor's hand. kind of toy like. But that's how it was scuplted.
That's the one thing I dislike about this kit as well. I'm sure the intent was to illustrate the Gamorrean in a "struggling" pose, but it looks more like he just wants to give the Rancor a big hug.

Terrific paint work Gans! Good color choices, and natural highlighting and shading that really shows off the detail sculpted into the kit. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished base.

Here is the base and Rancor updated. some parts still undercoated. Just starting the eyes, highs/lows and and weathering. Sorry pics are a bit bright. First pic in daylight

rancor%20outside%20two.jpg

Thanks for looking
Gans
Brisbane Model Builder

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back