Star Wars EU: True Canon vs. Legends Canon

seelsa73

Sr Member
Now that what is and isn't canon going forward has been officially announced, and with the release of the first two novels that kicked off the new canon and the 3 new comics series being released in as many months, I thought it would be fun to begin discussing (respectfully, of course) the differences between the two canons.

I'll go first.

I was inspired to start this topic when I started reading Tarkin (yesterday) and I came to the part (today) about how the Jedi temple was taken over and made into the Imperial palace, which I thought was actually quite clever. It puts a big middle finger up to the Jedi while at the same time saying to the public at large "trust us as you once did the Jedi before you were betrayed by them. We'll protect you.". At least that's what I got out of it. Compare that to the Legends canon, where the temple was destroyed by the emporer. I was surprised to find that I prefer the new canon explanation to the Legends one.

Last edited:
I didn't know that

Yep. Careful when you start a topic a new material that you haven't read! I will go one further. Based on the most recent Rebels Episide I bet Jedi and Sith temples play a a roll in the new films. Anyway there will no doubt be Legends aspects pulled into cannon.

I know the dangers and am fully prepared for them . But that little factoid doesn't really give away the plot of the novel though, and I'm up to date on Rebels and everything else, so I'm safe for now. Lol.

Agreed! I loved Tarkin, really gave terrific insight into the character. Especially his suspicions about Vader's true identity.

I really like how Tarkin shows you the day to day dealings of the Emperor, Vader, and Tarkin. I always wondered what the did all day. The Emperor doesn't just sit in his chair and meditate.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. I missed that you just started it. My bad. -10 points to me.

I'm hoping they change the dating system. The battle of Yavin always seemed to me a strange event to base it off of. It didn't end the war, it was just a turning point in a single war within the entire history of a galaxy. Seems they could find something more significant to start from.

Last edited:
^ I suggested that elsewhere a couple months ago and got roundly shouted down. I totally agree. It should start with the Emperor's self-coronation as the most recent Zero-point.

--Jonah

I preferred the Jedi Temple as it was in The Force Unleashed -- at least the PS2 port of the game. Abandoned, ransacked by Imperial forces, guarded by Stormtroopers, and with unnamed Royal Guard-esque guardians inside ready to take on any Jedi foolish enough to try to gain entry. My preferred approach would be to combine the two, with the Imperial Palace being built entirely around the Jedi Temple. Give Palpatine time to plunder the secrets of the Temple in privacy.

--Jonah

Well we knew the temple wasn't destroyed since it was added in the 2004 DVD release to the celebratory Coruscant scene at the end of ROTJ. Not sure how I feel about it actually being the Imperial Palace though. I pictured the palace being far more extensive and looking rather Gothic, akin to some of McQuarrie's concept art of it.

Well apparently it was added to because Tarkin says the only thing that indicated it was the former Jedi temple was the distinctive five spires

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting. I think we may have a canon contradiction because the glimpse of it we see in ROTJ shows it looking pretty much like it did in the PT, iirc.

I do not think that the general public took too much notice of the jedi involvements during the clonr wars and the eradication of the order afterwards. why does Han Solo, sure old enough to listen to news reports, act in ANH like he does not think that jedi ever existed?

Jedi tended to operate near the centers of government and unrest. Han was a fringer most of his life. On the other hand, George borked the timeline irreparably with the Prequels. The Clone Wars originally were supposed to take place earlier, Anakin was supposed to be older, the Wars -- plural -- were a series of related conflicts spread out over decades, the rot was setting in in the core systems before they ended, the Jedi were already fading before Vader started hunting them down. By the time the Jedi were wiped out, no one really felt any connection to them any more. They'd been aloof for too long. They'd already become near-myths even when they were still around. Most people had already stopped believing in them while they were being run to ground and slaughtered. Popular opinion on the major "civilized" planets was that the Force was something that only some addled navel-gazers who used to use fancy plasma-swords would go on about, and they were long gone, weren't they? Only people really in the know... knew. Like Tarkin. Even if he had his own spin on things.

--Jonah

Agreed totally. I always had the impression the Empire was older than just 20 years at the time of ANH and the "dark times" had been going on for quite some time. One certainly gets the impression the Jedi had been gone, or at least out of the limelight, for far longer than 20 years, to the point that any concept of Jedi and the Force had passed into legend and superstition. Sadly, just another thing GL screwed up. Thanks to the PT, there's absolutely no reason why anyone older than 20-25 would have any question about Jedi or the Force. Jedi and their abilities were quite prominent right up until Order 66. Of course, thanks to Rebels, we also now have Jedi running around, not terribly discreetly, as recently as 5 years BBY. Pretty silly. I hope they at least die before the series ends, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I know I'm helping to derail this thread but this has always been a bugbear for me with regard to the prequels. "Hokey religions and ANCIENT weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side" spells it out pretty clearly. To me that always suggested that the Jedi had been long extinct.

Agreed totally. I always had the impression the Empire was older than just 20 years at the time of ANH and the "dark times" had been going on for quite some time. One certainly gets the impression the Jedi had been gone, or at least out of the limelight, for far longer than 20 years, to the point that any concept of Jedi and the Force had passed into legend and superstition. Sadly, just another thing GL screwed up. Thanks to the PT, there's absolutely no reason why anyone older than 20-25 would have any question about Jedi or the Force. Jedi and their abilities were quite prominent right up until Order 66. Of course, thanks to Rebels, we also now have Jedi running around, not terribly discreetly, as recently as 5 years BBY. Pretty silly. I hope they at least die before the series ends, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back