Done / Completed Star Wars Ep7: REY'S BLASTER kit - now upgraded!

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

I've been looking for a way to contribute to the list of great EP 7 replicas that are being done by everyone and I finally found the first one I'm going to do.

Rey's blaster. The one Han gives her... that she shoots at Kylo Ren with.
sw_prop_28-1024x768.jpg

This is a semi-hollow kit with moving trigger and moving safety. I also believe it's the most accurate replica anyone has done to date, including in how it goes together.

Cost is $235 shipped worldwide.

This will be a limited run so as not to compete with any official products in the pipeline. Current lead-time is estimated at 2-4 weeks to ship after payment and I am accepting orders ongoing. Each kit takes about 40 hours in high-res print time, not counting setups and machine cleaning, spread over several days so i can sometimes get backlogged. (Normally, the cost of this type of print would be $8-10 per print hour.)

For those that don't know my previous work, click the image in my sig.

Here are some images of the near-final pattern. (Note: I didn't clean all the parts of flash, so the trigger guard looks a little thicker than it is.) The kit can be mainly screwed together but a little glue will be needed. (I recommend solvent-based acrylic glue such as Acrifix 116, but superglue works as well.) Torx screws (M4 or imperial equivalents) are not included since I can't get a large supply and the US/EU have different systems anyway. The barrel will have an aluminum insert for strength. The kit includes the parts shown in the breakdown photo.

Latest photos:

Quick assembly and paint test.
rey_painttest.jpg

reyparts_3.jpg reyparts_2.jpg reyparts_1.jpg

Latest renders:
12243033_1618661725064132_926426835134570511_n.jpg 12278711_1618661758397462_382596827850990190_n.jpg 10425467_1618661735064131_214080694123404885_n.jpg

Drop me a PM or state here if you want one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Star Wars Ep7: REY'S BLASTER kit

A cast would be the way to go I think ;)

A cast would depend on interest. Personally, I prefer prints to working with resin because it's less messy and less toxic. Multiple parts means it will look more real... plus I like moving triggers. But if there is an overwhelming want for a cast kit and the numbers support it then I'll probably go that route and offer prints to those that want them instead.

Any chance of getting a kit done in time for the premiere?

Maybe... and I mean MAYBE. I am actually pretty far along on the pattern (75% done) and hoping to have a w-i-p render to show later today and maybe a test print in another day or two. That's IF the stars all aligned! If the test print turns out nice I might be able to get one or two out in time but since we're coming up on silly-season at the post office I can't make any promises. (They are shipping from Sweden after all!) My guts says that it's doable if I get 'em out next weekend at the latest as long as the post office isn't too backed up.

That would be great! I would love to see a printed hollow kit, but would be interested in a cast piece if that was all that would available before the premiere.

I understand the busy season upon us. So if it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen.

That would be great! I would love to see a printed hollow kit, but would be interested in a cast piece if that was all that would available before the premiere.

I understand the busy season upon us. So if it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen.

To clarify.. for the premiere I was talking about a printed kit, not a cast resin version.

I'm interested in the printed kit. I'm not worried about the premiere because they've banned all toy weapons

I believe so. It's because of all the theater shootings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, drat. I did not know that. I can understand and support the decision, but it is disappointing none the less. Any idea it they will allow Rey's staff? My daughter will be disappointed if not.

I know they will allow light sabers. I'd imagine the staff would be considered in a similar light, but I'd call ahead and find out.

Is that ban on toy weapons nationwide?

Is that ban on toy weapons nationwide?

I know you're not suggesting you would take a gun replica to a movie theater, because that would be foolish beyond words.

As I understood it from the thread in the community section, some theaters were OK with it. As with anything... it's a matter of context. A 501st gathering where Tks carry blasters would probably cause less issues than a lone dude looking weird in the corner. (I have a hard time seeing rational people being afraid of a Rey costumer holding this pistol... it doesn't really look like a real-world weapon. But I suppose this isn't the proper venue for that discussion. :)

I'll have a photo up soon of the first test-printed body of the pistol. It's turning out very nice.

Here's the first test print of the body in silver metallic (hence the sparkle, haha). I want this kit to need minimal assembly and I'd like to avoid printing in "halves" as you often need to do. That way there will be very little work needed. This photo is straight off the printer and there are really only a couple spots that need a little cleanup, which is really nothing all things considered. I'm going to try another way of printing the body before moving on to the barrel, which I'm sure will print without any issues.
body_print.jpg

As of now I'm also changing this to a limited run thread instead of an interest thread, since I now know I can make these happen. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back