Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Roy Batty, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thanks...only the old stuff in a new book.Something from the ESB Vader or Royal Guard?

2. Title

Title Active Member

Where are these from? I've never seen them before :O

3. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It’s unused footage that was in a DVD documentary, Empire of Dreams. Luke even flips over the d-ring. Doesn’t look centered to me which is why I always tell people not to drill their flashes.

Go to the 54:40 mark:

4. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what, the pile pictures of the Teecrooz posted or the bottom of the graflex pictures?

the ones teecrooz posted are from the new archives book you can grab on amazon. and the bottom of the graflex pictures i imagine are from starwarsscreencaps.com

Scratch that, noticed teecrooz posted the correct locations

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  5. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm going to have to refinish my Yuma. black scuffed emitter and a darker orangier brass on that neck

halliwax likes this.
  6. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any new biker scout pics in the book?

7. halliwax

Dang so close... maybe one day..

8. SethS

SethS Master Member

Holy crap, thanks teecrooz !

A lot of things to see/say...

The big ones being all the color ROTJ duel pics that show it is in fact the V3 (there's been debate).

Great shot of the MPP stunt in ROTJ.

But mostly-- I'm curious about this one:

80bd8535-0d50-48b1-9f7b-231e42dad1af-jpeg.jpg

I know that's the severed hand gag saber-- the fat base and cone knobs in the sockets give it away. But what is going on in the glass eye socket? On the other pics we have of this prop it's empty and shows the inner core. But in this shot it almost looks like a tire valve like the ROTJ Vader MoM. Trick of the light?

Also, on this one of the aforementioned MPP stunt:

06a691e7-e66d-4449-8c82-c50566e5a468-jpeg.jpg

Is the other one the V3? What are those black ares I am seeing around the grip area?

9. SethS

SethS Master Member

double post

Attached Files:

10. SethS

SethS Master Member

I'm confused by this one-- because the neck paint job doesn't look like the V3. We can see pretty clear now in the ROTJ duel pics it's a solid copper. And I swear I can see the overlap of the gaffer's tape-- but that certainly isn't the V2 emitter face is it?

ms80444 likes this.
  11. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

Only crap that last picture with luke and vader dueling the mmp is clear enough to prove and set in stone it was in rotj and used in the duel. I think its the hero since I see wires!

12. SethS

SethS Master Member

We've had photo proof of that for a bit... both the hero, and the MPP stunt-- but this is a great new angle of it for any doubters.

Not sure I see wires though...

13. thd9791

Yuma - are we sure it's copper?

Shared Stunt in the Vader duel - looks like the black booster has a clean strip taken off. gaffer tape?

hand saber - it does look a lot like the tire valve, but whatever it was was shallow and glued in. and the hole in the center look more like a depression

SethS likes this.
  14. SethS

SethS Master Member

Are we doing copper vs bronze again!? :)

And I don't think either the V2 or V3 had a solid black booster at that point, right?

15. halliwax

I should have edited my post, at first quick glance I thought it was the Yuma because of the nipple

I didn’t think the v3 had a nipple, but now we have a much clearer shot of Luke over Vader in the throne room and sure enough it still has the nipple

When Luke is fighting the speeder, you am clearly see him ignite the v2, then when he swipes the windvane is a much more orange look

I figured it was the v3 they used to swipe, sure enough this picture now proves it

And proves it has a nipple

I too wonder what’s going on with the neck and if they tried and to use gaffers tape.. but now thinking.. I think it’s just a illusion because they have been using it as a stunt for so long, if the grub screws weren’t holding it back then, they would have used tape back then as well..

SethS likes this.
  16. halliwax

I’m arguing that the Yuma and v3 are orange!! :p

jorged123 and SethS like this.
  17. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

Then what is that white spot under the shroud?

18. SethS

SethS Master Member

The resolution is to iffy to tell. Not saying it isn't wires, but I also can't say for sure if it is.

I'm pretty sure the MPP hero and stunts are two separate sabers. The MPP stunt has missing grips. The wires detail could have been added-- just hard to tell with Vader's grip being so high.

19. thd9791

Sorry Seth, you were talking about the throne room v3. I got confused.

the new yuma pictures look much darker and now im confused again :D

SethS likes this.
  20. SethS

SethS Master Member

Right!? We've heard there was more than one though right? With different neck colors?

21. halliwax

Mine just showed up!!! YAY!!!

thd9791 and teecrooz like this.
  22. thd9791

We've heard there were multiples. the color thing came from the different rotj sabers in general.

for contrast, the picture from far away with the wind blowing and saber pointing down shows a very brassy neck. cant find that picture.

23. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

There is a white wire on that side of the mmp and I can clearly see the ends of the t track right above Anderson's bottom hand. When the hilt is standing the white wire is on the right side and to me the white spot is positioned right to be the white wire. I have not seen anything that suggests it isn't the hero.

24. SethS

SethS Master Member

I don't think it's the hero because across the board the belt-hangers and stunts are always separate props, save for the V2 becoming a hero, but even then, it was always swapped for the Yuma or V3 once the blade was active.

I'd buy them adding the wire detail to a stunt saber before having a hero and stunt pull double duty.

I'm not saying you're not seeing wires, they very well could be. I'm just not 100%, and I doubt it's the hero.

25. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

Then what about the t tracks? If it were to be a stunt there would be no t tracks as evident in esb. I see black stripes with chrome between them above the lower hand. That is clearly t tracks.

We all know the props were not handled very well at all and are all mixed together in the Archives to this day. I don't see why they would pay attention to what was used just for vaders lightsaber at this point in the game.

26. halliwax

For the guys saying this book wasn’t worth it, holy heck I’m in my glory!!

6701C5AC-9FD2-4C8D-B669-BACB77861929.jpeg

mugatu, thd9791 and SethS like this.
  27. halliwax

For the scout boys

EEE2EAE9-0189-4F36-AFE2-0AAD4A750B05.jpeg

mugatu, thd9791 and russellsch like this.
  28. SethS

SethS Master Member

Dude, relax. I'm not challenging your word, I've said repeatedly you could be right. I just like corroborating evidence. One low res photo has led us astray before. Stop trying to make it into a debate.

The MPP stunt is almost always obscured save for the shroud. We have the one pic (below) and I think there is one grip on it, over the belt on the 3 o'clock side, and there could be more on the back. I don't know for sure-- again, low res.

Also, we have high res pics of the ESB/ROTJ hero and you can see the MPP guts are still in place. They'd be removed if it were holding a duelling blade, so again, I don't see a hero and a stunt doing double duty.

But that does not preclude a stunt MPP having wires or t-track.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  29. halliwax

Defiantly 1 track in the picture, and I’m on board with stunts are stunts and hero’s are hero’s.. no mix and matching

30. halliwax

Another way to look at this is.. stunts stay stunts because of time..

This is why the v2 Had it’s blade hacked sawed off so cruedly.. if they were in the practice of switching belt hangers to stunts, they would just remove the blades

This is why the v2 remains the belt hanger and v3 is the dueling stunt

Same thing with the graflex stunts.. I think there is only 1 occasion where a stunt graflex was used as a belt hanger.. but I can’t 100% confirm.. and it’s so far away I don’t know what I’m actually seeing.. a bolt head, or swamp muck...

Granted in theory yes! They could have switched this stuff around, problem is it takes too much time...

Time is a HUGE element in the movie industry..

SethS likes this.
  31. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

I don't want to argue. I was debating all in good fun. I have not done it in a while.

But I freeze framed rotj a lot and see grips all over thr flash. It could have been a stunt all dressed up to look like the hero.

Again I was not arguing or trying to prove you wrong. I was just debating and noting all of the features seen on the hero that were absent on the esb stunt. Sometimes my mind can be set on certain things. I have aspergers and thats a trait of it.

But im sorry if I annoyed you in any way. I was just trying to debate.

32. SethS

SethS Master Member

No worries at all!

33. thd9791

I will say that we have pounds of evidence that once a prop was rigged for fighting it either stayed that way or stayed permanently altered. You have to drill bolts into the side of a flash to anchor it the way they did. The Hero that Propstore now owns would have holes and damage all over it. Great ideas though, you're right, they usually scrapped the T track in ESB. Maybe they cared more haha

It's the ESB fighting stunt with the snipped bunny ears!!!! I think they had to access a set screw or something in the rigging. I've seen that in the main duel and on Hoth.

halliwax likes this.
  34. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

I think we can settle on the stunt being hero dressed.

35. halliwax

I have to check my records, I thought there was a stunt on dagobah used as a belt hanger. Never seen on screen, but in a promo photo. Had a DV6 Vader bolt near the side socket of the graflex

thd9791 likes this.
  36. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, ain't that some crap. I got on the pre-order early but my shipping says Jan. 4th-31st. Ain't that a beach.

37. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Whats with pics,guys?Royal Guard,Vaders...some really new and interesting pics in this new book?All pics I´ve seen are good...but nothing really new.

38. teecrooz

Nothing new with Royal guards. Some Vader shots were new to me, but I’m not a Vader expert. I’m sure many of them were already out there.

I do have something new I will be posting in just a bit. It’s a “new” lightsaber.

39. teecrooz

So, I missed this during my first flip through of the book, but apparently the Holiday saber was also an ESB saber. It was used in an insert where Luke unclips himself from the cable while hanging under the AT-AT. You can’t see it onscreen, but it’s there as a confirmed ESB production used belt hanger!

Attached Files:

40. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

That's a 2 cell right? Looks like the top "spoon" section is not there. Must have been removed after the holiday special..? . Is that a solo blaster i see in there?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  41. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW! The Holiday Special saber is now canon. Let the prices on Graflites soar!

I ordered a copy the day they hit Amazon and mine's been pushed back until Jan as well :-/

42. teecrooz

Mine did the same thing. I cancelled my original order, found it for less and got it sooner.

43. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

tah

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  44. thd9791

Is that a toggle switch and plate on the holiday saber control box? Where did these people find these weird * switches!

45. halliwax

Tom, Seth and I are starting trouble in the HS thread over the switch, come join the fun maybe we’ll raise enough h3ll we’ll get a 24 ban?!
    T'is the season! Luke's Holiday Special lightsaber!

thd9791 likes this.
  46. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Ok..thanks for looking.

47. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving all the new info coming out of this! Thanks to all for sharing.

48. SethS

SethS Master Member

Went to the Taschen store for a peek... holy crap the book is huge. Like physically huge.

I had intend to flip and pic, but that wasn't realistic so I just had to buy the whole thing of course.

halliwax and teecrooz like this.
  49. teecrooz

Largest and heaviest book I’ve ever owned.

nailuj and SethS like this.
  50. halliwax

Do you have access to a hi res scanner? I went to staples today to get some quotes but theirs is down...

I too was pretty amazed at the size of the box on my step, * heavy too..