Star Trek TOS wall comm paint question

Wes R

Legendary Member
I'm putting together a kit Fusenova sent me and ran into an issue. The part that holds the speaker wire mesh is supposed to be a baby blue with a hint of gray in it. I ran into the problem as neither paints listed in the instructions I'm using for reference, Rodenberry.com's wall comm, are available in this area. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to paint it gray. I mixed some paints i had by hand and it looks okay other than streak marks so i figured i'd see if i could get away with a light gray instead.

Maybe a silly observation Wes, but did you try mixing a close-enough blue with a small dab of grey at a time till you get the right colour ?

Oh i got the right color with the brush on paint but it covers like crap. I might keep giving it coats until it looks good. I was just hoping to find a spray paint that would be close so it would have nice coverage. I think maybe a few more coats and it'll be okay.

Ah. I didn't know you were looking for the correct colour, in spray.

If you are getting streak marks with normal paint, try mixing in a LITTLE bit of thinner, and also use a soft brush with gentle strokes. 3 very thin layers should do it :thumbsup

You are using acrylic paint I presume.

Yeah i think i might thin it a bit since it has a good base coat now. Makes me think that the prop department at paramount used paint they had laying around as baby blue isn't a common color.

The local walmarts didn't have it oddly enough. If all else fails i'll try home depot later this month. i'm not out that way for a few weeks. Edit: Actually i'm going to get it from amazon as it pushes me over the 25.00 mark for free shipping on and order lol. Plus its cheaper than spending gas money running around.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back