Star Trek TOS Season 3 Tricorder

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,
I wanted to show off a project that I just completed. It's a replica of a season 3 tricorder from the original Star Trek (the ones made from fiberglass by the Desilu crew).
I went for a warts and all approach with this one, trying to match the original as it appears today.
IMG_7473.JPG
IMG_7472.JPG
IMG_7474.JPG
IMG_7475.JPG
IMG_7476.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7470.JPG

Thanks!

Off an on, it took me a couple years. But that’s on me for stopping and starting here and there.
The metal face and sides were designed by me in CAD and waterjet cut years ago back when big blue saw was having a sale. The cross bars, and bottom plate were scratch-built from off-the-shelf stock. The hood was a vacuumform test pull scrap from Deck5. The back is balsawood, obviously. Anyone want to guess how I made the “fiberglass” parts?

Thanks!

Off an on, it took me a couple years. But that’s on me for stopping and starting here and there.
The metal face and sides were designed by me in CAD and waterjet cut years ago back when big blue saw was having a sale. The cross bars, and bottom plate were scratch-built from off-the-shelf stock. The hood was a vacuumform test pull scrap from Deck5. The back is balsawood, obviously. Anyone want to guess how I made the “fiberglass” parts?

The panels almost look like Kydex vacuform pulls but with the non-hair cell side being used as the side facing out.

That’s my guess.

Actually. they started off life as a AA/DTS toy. I reshaped all the edges to match the original. Covered the whole thing in filler primer to reduce the texture, sanded everything down, and reshaped the triangles to match the original. Then I painted them with wrinkle paint, and weathered that with various levels of black spray paint and a clear coat. The textures on the original are a mess and lack any uniformity, so I felt a ramshackle approach would work OK.
On the inside of the doors, I added some old black denim, spilled paint, jb-weld and hot glue.
Oh, and I also carved out some of the damaged corners with a Dremel.

Actually. they started off life as a AA/DTS toy. I reshaped all the edges to match the original. Covered the whole thing in filler primer to reduce the texture, sanded everything down, and reshaped the triangles to match the original. Then I painted them with wrinkle paint, and weathered that with various levels of black spray paint and a clear coat. The textures on the original are a mess and lack any uniformity, so I felt a ramshackle approach would work OK.
On the inside of the doors, I added some old black denim, spilled paint, jb-weld and hot glue.
Oh, and I also carved out some of the damaged corners with a Dremel.
Outstanding work—very authentic looking!

Super nice! Love it. I'm a big fan of this version of the tric.

As an FYI, this version of the Tricorder ... The fiberglass, was used in all 3 seasons. The first episode used in was Arena.

The leatherette tricorders didn't show up until season 3.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back