Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

What length brass slotted dome screws are y'all using as replacements? Anyone have a source?

I was thinking of just using M2, but I could go 2-56, I'd just need to get myself a tap as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What length brass slotted dome screws are y'all using as replacements? Anyone have a source?

I was thinking of just using M2, but I could go 2-56, I'd just need to get myself a tap as well.

Thanks!

Here's where I got mine:

https://www.fastmetalproducts.com/machine-screws-brass.html

Just scroll down and you'll find the slotted oval head screws in 2-56 1/2". You have to order 100, but they're not expensive. You order via email, IIRC. It's a bit of a pain, but they have what you want.

Will these not work? I guess they're not exactly oval head, but they're close...

Active auction link removed...

Last edited:
Word, thanks! I'll delete the link to the active auction.

Mr Google let me down on this, at least so far. Does anyone know how to get an Android phone to not ring while using bluetooth? When I have the communicator on I have to manually turn down the ringtone volume on my phone or it blasts out the music I usually use and I can't hear the beep beep from the communicator.

This may sound snarky (not intended), but you just need to mute it.
On my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4, so, a few years old), you swipe down from the top of your screen, you should see several icons (in settings you can choose all that's there).
One of these should be the 'sound' icon. Tap it once and it goes to vibrate. Tap it again and it goes to full silent, no vibrate, no sound. Tap it again and sound is back. Now, just like using a bluetooth headset, when the phone is muted, it will still ring in your ear (or 'Beep-Beep' with the communicator), but the phone itself will stay silent.
Hope that helps

Mr Google let me down on this, at least so far. Does anyone know how to get an Android phone to not ring while using bluetooth? When I have the communicator on I have to manually turn down the ringtone volume on my phone or it blasts out the music I usually use and I can't hear the beep beep from the communicator.
I'm late to this, sorry, but you can just load a silent WAV or MP3 file to your phone, under the sdcard/ringtones/ folder IIRC, and set that as your ring tone. Might want to enable throbbing, sorry, VIBRATE on ring so that you have a backup if the comm goes to sleep.

You could also download one of the many sound FX from TrekCore (or find the GNP sound effects CD ... it's well worth the money), convert a favorite sound to a WAV, then add in a few seconds of silence (otherwise the effect will loop very quickly), and download to your phone. I ripped many of the sound FX from the CD and put on my phones/tablets. Some of them make really good alarm sounds, notification sounds, etc.

I just got one of these, maybe it's a factory refurb. The buttons are rather crooked. The LEFT button is a bit crooked but works, and the RIGHT button works but the LEFT JOG doesn't have a detent -- I have to hold it to the left then release it (and feel a little click then). Normal? Should I get another and return this one? Orrrr....

Has anyone successfully removed the Wand Company buttons from the switches and fitted real Aurora wheel hubs or replicas? ;) I have some of all. (Real metal buttons would really pimp this replica!)

Has anyone successfully removed the Wand Company buttons from the switches and fitted real Aurora wheel hubs or replicas? ;) I have some of all. (Real metal buttons would really pimp this replica!)

Yes, there was even someone who would do the work for you and they would make it into most any of the comms. I have one that was converted to a Beta as I always liked that one more than the Alpha. It was Star Trek Phaser but as the comm's are no longer available they don't offer they don't appear to offer the service anymore.

Update: It appears to charge just fine but doesn't know when it's done. It kept glowing red/yellow past the point where it should have been done charging. Peeling the Velcro off the back, it glows blue/green. Put the Velcro back, red/yellow. So it looks like if I do use it with Velcro I'll have to peel it off before charging or (possibly) risk overcharging it. A bummer, but oh well.

(A holster is a nice idea but I'm trying to be accurate to the show.)
I just discovered that my Samsung Galaxy J3 cell phone can read the Communicator's battery status when it is paired. Best. Mike.

I've noticed several things about the TWC Comm through use and charging....

• It can charge (red/yellow) for quite some time after a connected phone (e.g. iPhone SE 2020) says it's 100%.
  • Something like a velcro patch may indeed interrupt the intended charging pattern.
  • If you open it and play a sound from a phone or something while it's on the charger, it may go to "charging" momentarily, the show charged about 10 secs after teh sound is done.
  • As posted, some phones (e.g. iPhone iOS) can report the estimated charge level of the comm.
  • The phone can remain active for a very long time connected to a phone but not in use. While connected, the comm will not go to to standby (visual indication, blinking blue light). If you disconnect the comm from the phone (via the phone's Bluetooth settings), the comm will switch to solo mode (blinking green light) and will eventually shut down/sleep, even if on the charger.
  • You can connect more than one phone/device to the comm simultaneously. Pairing to additionl devices is like paring, but hold down the left and right buttons.
  • There is an undocumented command to erase all prior pairings, I think it's hold-LEFT, and JOG-LEFT on teh right button, but keep holding for 2-3 secs after the cosplay sound.
I have tried the comm on 2-3 different Qi compatible chargers and it did not charge properly. On one, it shuts itself down (protection circuit?). I think the "Qi standard" is becoming less standard. At least my iPhone SE charges on LG WCP-300 and LG Nexus 4 (WCP-400) charging pads.

Thanx for the info as I, too, am learning by doing. The Wand Company is understandably reticent to dive too deeply into these matters. They probably figure it's more than the average owner needs to know. I'm glad forums like this can provide useful information. My Android phone gives different battery charge readings if the Comm is on the charger or not. If it's on the charger it usually indicates 10%–20% higher than when it's removed. Also, my phone seems to read in the same detents all the time: 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%, and 100%. I assume this has more to do with my phone than the Comm. But this is still useful as, going by the word on the "street," I try to keep the ion polymer cell between 20%–80% for longevity. It is comforting to know that, with steady hands, the battery is replaceable—unlike TWC Phaser. Best. Mike.

I actually set my ringtone to the communicator "beep beep" years ago when I got mine and never changed it back because it's so mellow and unobtrusive. But every time I hear it on the show now, I think my phone is ringing! LOL

I have a question for TWC Communicator owners.
I have had mine displayed on its stand, which is plugged into a powered USB on my office desk to keep it charged. It's been like this ever since I bought it a few years ago.
I have noticed that every once in a while I'll hear it power down, and then some time later power back up again. I assumed this was some sort of battery saving feature that would let the battery cycle instead of just keeping it topped off all the time.
But lately I've noticed that this is happening more and more frequently. Like every day. I'm just wondering, A. is anyone else experiencing this, and B. is it anything to be concerned about? I don't want the battery to go dead on my like my TWC sonic screwdriver did, so I didn't want to leave it unplugged. But I also don't want to damage it by leaving it on the charger all the time if that will continue to cycle the battery faster and faster until it won't hold a charge.
Any input would be super helpful. I messaged TWC and the very nice woman that responded said she wasn't sure but maybe leave it unplugged unless I wanted to charge it to use it. I wasn't sure if that was the best advice and I know nothing about battery preservation.

TT: TWC powers their Communicators with a Lithium Polymer battery. Check my earlier posting on the subject. In a nutshell, I use the same 80/20 rule that I do with my Samsung Galaxy J-3 cell phone which has a lithium ion battery which is very similar to the LP. Do not charge it to 100% And do not depleted to zero. I've seen the graphs and 80% is a good point to stop charging, and 20% is a good place to start charging to maximize battery lifespan. If you're not fortunate enough to have a cell phone which can give you charge readings on connected devices, you'll have to use a by guess and by golly method. As soon as you get the power cell depleted audio message, put it on the charger. I have found that, with a battery in reasonable condition, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to get close to the magic 80% mark. The good news is that oh, I'm like the phaser, the communicator battery is reasonably easy to replace. If you do the work, it shouldn't cost you more than thirty or forty dollars. Best. Mike.

TT: TWC powers their Communicators with a Lithium Polymer battery. Check my earlier posting on the subject. In a nutshell, I use the same 80/20 rule that I do with my Samsung Galaxy J-3 cell phone which has a lithium ion battery which is very similar to the LP. Do not charge it to 100% And do not depleted to zero. I've seen the graphs and 80% is a good point to stop charging, and 20% is a good place to start charging to maximize battery lifespan. If you're not fortunate enough to have a cell phone which can give you charge readings on connected devices, you'll have to use a by guess and by golly method. As soon as you get the power cell depleted audio message, put it on the charger. I have found that, with a battery in reasonable condition, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to get close to the magic 80% mark. The good news is that oh, I'm like the phaser, the communicator battery is reasonably easy to replace. If you do the work, it shouldn't cost you more than thirty or forty dollars. Best. Mike.
Does yours randomly do the power up and power down sounds when sitting on the cradle?

Does yours randomly do the power up and power down sounds when sitting on the cradle?
No. The only time I get either audio cue is when I manually press the power button. The only time that the Comm powers-down automatically is after a few "power cell depleted" warnings. My cell phone still indicates 30% remaining. I have an unconfirmed theory that, if this reading is reasonably accurate, that TWC tries to avoid depleting the battery completely. In any case, I have no official corroboration on any of this. This is all based on my own empirical observations. Best. Mike.

No. The only time I get either audio cue is when I manually press the power button. The only time that the Comm powers-down automatically is after a few "power cell depleted" warnings. My cell phone still indicates 30% remaining. I have an unconfirmed theory that, if this reading is reasonably accurate, that TWC tries to avoid depleting the battery completely. In any case, I have no official corroboration on any of this. This is all based on my own empirical observations. Best. Mike.
Thanks Mike.
Yeah mine just sits on the cradle 24/7, which is plugged into power. If I turn the comm off, i can see the charge light go from red to orange to green as it charges. Then randomly (same day, few days later) while at my desk I'll hear it power on. Then several hours later, or the next day I'll hear it power down and charge. Rinse and repeat. I assumed it was just smart enough to keep cycling the battery. I hope nothing is wrong with it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back