Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Macnmike

If you choose to leave your Comm on the cradle always for display, I would unplug the microUSB when not consciously charging. That way you are not relying on TWC automatic protocols. I keep coming back to all my research indicating that you want to avoid total depletion or total charge. My sources encourage multiple top-offs rather than prolonged charge periods. Best. Mike.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Quinn

Does yours randomly do the power up and power down sounds when sitting on the cradle?
In 2016, I asked TWC about this issue. Here is their response:

"The Communicator will always turn on when placed in the charging stand (assuming that the charging stand is connected to a power supply). You'll also find that it will occasionally turn itself on again during charging, especially when the battery reaches full charge (i.e. when you see the blue and green pulsing on the charging stand). This happens because the charger will sometimes give small top-up charges when the battery is full (when you'll see the red/yellow pulsing again), and those top-up charges can kick the Communicator back into life."

Macnmike

"The Communicator will always turn on when placed in the charging stand (assuming that the charging stand is connected to a power supply). You'll also find that it will occasionally turn itself on again during charging, especially when the battery reaches full charge (i.e. when you see the blue and green pulsing on the charging stand). This happens because the charger will sometimes give small top-up charges when the battery is full (when you'll see the red/yellow pulsing again), and those top-up charges can kick the Communicator back into life."
I've been doing my best to stay away from "full charge" by removing it from the stand. after an hour or hour and a half, before the status light changes. If I time it properly, within a few minutes by phone indicates that the charge is 90% and then drops to 70% soon after. I'm just guessing how accurate that info is. I just avoid draining completely or charging completely. Fortunately, the Comm gives an audible "power cell depleted" warning at around 30% according to my phone. Best. Mike.

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think I'm charging mine like once a year? LOL They pretty much are just on display and fussed with briefly now and then. No troubles so far.

Trooper_trent

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahh perfect. Thanks. Glad to know it’s intended to do this.

RayR

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Regarding the Doctor Who David Tennant unit they make the wand company advised me they should be charged fully at least every three months for the best battery maintenance. I said a reminder on my phone calendar and every three months every problem with a lithium ion battery get a recharge at my house. That goes for my wand company phaser and communicator as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.