Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

I got a Wand Communicator today for my birthday! After only three uses… 1. The chirp function (when opening the antenna) no longer works. 2. Closing the antenna no-longer ends calls. 3. Voice recognition is very poor. 4. Turns-off by itself. :angry

Hard to believe there is no way to reset the device, but there it is. After it sits for a while, it will operate as it should, then it stops working again. Very frustrating! Some have mentioned low volume, but mine seems to be quite loud, when it works that is… I'm going to make sure the replacement unit is just as loud.

I contacted TWC, and they are going to send out a replacement in the mail. They will refund shipping costs via PayPal.

Last edited:
I got a Wand Communicator today for my birthday! After only three uses… 1. The chirp function (when opening the antenna) no longer works. 2. Closing the antenna no-longer ends calls. 3. Voice recognition is very poor. 4. Turns-off by itself. :angry

Hard to believe there is no way to reset the device, but there it is. After it sits for a while, it will operate as it should, then it stops working again. Very frustrating! Some have mentioned low volume, but mine seems to be quite loud, when it works that is… I'm going to make sure the replacement unit is just as loud.

I contacted TWC, and they are going to send out a replacement in the mail. They will refund shipping costs via PayPal.
I just got my replacement yesterday, and it works great. Their Chinese factory may have QC issues, but I certainly cannot fault their customer service. Still a great experience!

I used my Wand Star Trek Communicator today for 3 hours straight… Worked perfectly! The flip activate/deactivate function has been consistent, with chirp present. I do not know why the manual states that you cannot use it as an in-ear device? Turn the speaker volume down - put it up to your ear - and you are good to go! No need to reposition, since the mic is quite sensitive. I'm still going to exchange it, as I cannot be certain it will continue to operate properly. Battery life is excellent!

Last edited:
I used my Wand Star Trek Communicator today for 3 hours straight… Worked perfectly! The flip activate/deactivate function has been consistent, with chirp present. I do not know why the manual states that you cannot use it as an in-ear device? Turn the speaker volume down - put it up to your ear - and you are good to go! No need to reposition, since the mic is quite sensitive. I'm still going to exchange it, as I cannot be certain it will continue to operate properly. Battery life is excellent!
Ditto on the battery life -- I'm very impressed by it.

This may not be a defect. I find that mine shuts off by itself after a certain period of time when it has been disconnected from my phone. In other words, it is on and working, then I leave home with my phone but not the communicator. Once I return home, I find the communicator has turned itself off. This NEVER happens when they are in bluetooth distance of each other. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Mine shuts off, even while it's connected to Bluetooth. The chirp will sound-off on its own, but will not chirp when I flip open the antenna. I cannot end a call by closing the antenna... I have to manually end calls by hitting the right button.

Pretty happy with the unit overall. Speaker quality suffers if I set my Galaxy S7 above 80% volume. Has anyone successfully replaced the stock speaker with a higher quality unit?

Apparently, mine was a defective unit. The new one works great, though the mic screen isn't 100% flush against the control plate. I'll look at that then I replace the rear screws with brass oval head screws. It might be a good idea to spray the antenna dish with a flat clear coating. Apparently, the gold paint rubs-off when carrying the Communicator in your pants pocket. I'll assume that's what the supplied jacket is for, since it's not fitted with a clip for side carry.

My speaker can get a little distorted at times, but it's not bad. Not yet anyway...

Does anyone know when TWC is releasing their next Star Trek (or other franchise) item?
I think they just released their TNG commbadge. I'm not getting one, amazing as they are, because it's twice as thick as the original costume pieces. So if you scroll up a page or two, you'll see me making fun of guys who wanted to accurize their TOS units (???). So, okay, I'm a hypocrite, but at least I can lie about it with confidence. :p

I think they just released their TNG commbadge. I'm not getting one, amazing as they are, because it's twice as thick as the original costume pieces. So if you scroll up a page or two, you'll see me making fun of guys who wanted to accurize their TOS units (???). So, okay, I'm a hypocrite, but at least I can lie about it with confidence. :p

I could be wrong but I don't think TWC had anything to do with the comm badge. If you look on their website it is not mentioned as one of the products they have made.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back