Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

I just noticed this on the inside surface of one of the hinge wheels. At first with the naked eye I thought they were cracks in the coating as a result of multiple openings. But while zooming in they look like raised areas in the coating. They could have been there from the beginning but I just didn't notice them until now.

Does anyone else see this condition?

image.jpeg

So I read all the comments when everyone was just starting to get their communicators delivered to them. I was adamant about putting the Velcro on mine when it arrived. Took the exact pattern for the Alpha Velcro off of Herocomm and started testing it on the charger. I have the 2" peel and stick Velcro that looks perfect (from eBay). Testing out of the box with the Velcro stuck on ( magnets held it very firm on the cradle ) and after 8 hours the light was still red/yellow. To test that it was charging I moved the comm a bit off center and sure enough it flashed red as the manual stated would happen. Upon straightening it on the charging cradle went back to red/yellow. This told me it was in fact charging but VERY SLOWLY! I peeled the Velcro off with surprising ease, probably due to the unusual Kydex.... This stuff usually is near impossible to remove once placed on my JL builds!! Anyhow once put back on the charger the light turned green/blue within an hour. So....after all the speculation and ideas.... Simply put the Velcro in place and when charging peel it off, set it aside and re-apply when charged! I have charged 4 or 5 times and the Velcro lays back down perfectly every time. When it no longer adheres I'll cut another Alpha patch and the fun continues!! By the way I carry it in a Karl leather pouch which protects it beautifully, quite bulky under a polo or T shirt but is fun to carry when I leave the house! image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I bought 2 of these and think they are great, As with any mass produced homage to a prop replica, they are NOT going to be 100% dead on..not even the originals I have seen are exactly identical to each other. But this piece is so very close, it doesnt matter to me..I have no intention of changing anything on my units. I am very glad Wand put this out. The master replicas comm compared to this, was a woof woof. The miore on the one I had was as loud as an electric shaver, and of course we now know it was not accurate.I'm glad I sold off my MR long ago. Wand's price is well worth it with the features it comes with. I'd rather spend $149.00 for this than the $300.00-$1,400.00 + the e-bay sellers want for units that are static. Congrats to Wand for a product well done.

My case is the v-42-bk, but I bought it in December while waiting for the com to ship and don't know if they still make that exact one. Walmart has replaced it online with one called the Vivitar Mini Hardshell case for cameras. It seems to have the same dimensions but I can't tell, fron the website, whether it still includes the belt loop. You cant beat it at $5.66 if it does.

I received mine on June 30 while it was charging I went to the AT&T store and upgraded my 3GS for a 6 SE Just as I had been planning for the last year while I waited for this prop from hell to finally begin shipping . Don't tell the wife but I already received my second one for a spare as I never want to be without this retro technology ever again.

So....after all the speculation and ideas.... Simply put the Velcro in place and when charging peel it off, set it aside and re-apply when charged! I have charged 4 or 5 times and the Velcro lays back down perfectly every time. When it no longer adheres I'll cut another Alpha patch and the fun continues!!

That was my conclusion as well. I'll just peel it off when I need to charge it, and keep a supply of velcro to replace it as needed.

Could I get some input from other people who own this piece?

Is it normal for the communicator to power itself down after about a half hour? It happens to mine constantly -- whether it's paired or not, whether it's on the charger or not.

To have it as a display piece or plaything, it's not a big deal. But I can't see how anyone could actually use this to answer calls if it won't stay on longer than 30 minutes or so.

Mine has done that a time or two after being left to sit. I haven't tested it with a call after that. It may be going into a low power mode but with the bluetooth still active.

No. I'm talking shuts off completely. The power-down sound plays and then there are no lights, sounds, or connection. It happens even when it's charging. Seemed odd to me. Thought I'd ask.

It should stay on indefinitely with the blue light flashing while paired. Mine has never powered off while paired.
If the phone goes out of range of the comm for an extended period, the comm will power down.

If it isn't paired, the comm will power down after a few minutes of not being used.

Sounds like there may be issues with comms powering down while paired.

I'm not seeing the power down issue either. I walked around with mine on and hanging on my belt all day, both days this past weekend, and it stayed on.

Mine powers down after 30 minutes unpaired. Just checked.

I don't recall it powering down while paired though.

-Rylo

Test it by playing something more than 1/2 an hour on your phone while the communicator is paired. If it shuts down despite being active that's a fault and it needs to be replaced by TWC.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back