Star Trek TNG First Contact Type III Phaser Rifle - Done (with pretty pictures)!

Re: Star Trek TNG First Contact Type III Phaser Rifle

Recommendation? No. Nothing you don't already know: HIPS=weaker material/sharper detail, ABS=stronger material/softer detail. I would say stick with the HIPS if you're going to do a run (saves weight). People can always reinforce their rifles from the inside if needed.
That was my thinking as well. Thanks for sharing!

Get The Freak Out!! That looks sick dude!! I sure wish I was talented enough to scratch build stuff. That's something I'd like to have in my collection. Hopefully you'll make a interest thread....how about you let us know on First Contact Day 2014?

Larry
Thanks for the kind words. I'm not familiar with First Contact Day, I obviously need to do some Googling.

if i were to get a kit - i would perfer one in ABS , i perfer a stronger plastic

image.jpg

Is the light going to be detachable? What kind of plans as far as electronics for your build?

if i were to get a kit - i would perfer one in ABS , i perfer a stronger plastic

I would be in for 1 as well.
I hope to do my first test pull this week -let's see how it goes...

View attachment 307957

Is the light going to be detachable? What kind of plans as far as electronics for your build?
I'm not planning on making the light detachable, the whole gun will be a clamshell of two pieces of vac-formed styrene and I didn't want to make the assembly any more complicated than necessary (at least for me).

I am planning on putting electronics in my copy, although I haven't figured out how I'll accomplish it), but am not planning on offering electronics as part of any kits.

I added the indicator and buttons for the control interface (it's just a business card cut up and glued). The alignment in the pictures is off because the gun halves are not lined up properly.
13711377524_ac2f5d0244_c.jpg

I also wasn't happy with the cut indicator for the front of the light: It was a little crooked and had the potential for creating an undercut. Here it is now (also a piece of cut up business card -I've got hundreds of them ;))
13711026063_3068b10db1_c.jpg

I started working on the vac-forming rig last night, more pics soon.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Looking good so far. Hope you don't run into any major issues with your test pull :thumbsup.

Looking good so far. Hope you don't run into any major issues with your test pull :thumbsup.
Thanks! I hope so too ;)

Started working on the platten (the vac-forming base)

Top:
13711385494_a7ddb6f33e_c.jpg

13711005085_93be2f6586_c.jpg

13711371204_17a9c73d7a_c.jpg

Underside:
13732669543_425fe3af43_c.jpg

13732673913_5f68b69612_c.jpg

The seal is made from a scrap piece of EVA foam (love the fit)
13732671343_5a1cceb68e_c.jpg

Working on the frame for the styrene next.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Getting close...

Styrene frame -built with a hinged back and locking front to make inserting and removing styrene sheets fast and easy.
13732676523_6651a100db_c.jpg

13732663353_6e2fb61bb6_c.jpg

Stay tuned...

I've created my vac-form rig and frame to be specific to the size of the phaser rifle. At 36" it's way to wide to warm the plastic in the oven.

My solution (which I saw someone else do on the internets) is to create a custom heating setup.

13733025994_ff5eac6f0c_c.jpg

It's just pink sheet insulation covered with tin foil with a space heater as the heat source.

Here's how it fits with the retaining frame:
13733019104_3270bf2580_c.jpg

My biggest concern is whether the space heater can generate enough heat to soften the plastic properly.

Last step before doing a pull is to build a couple of guides across the back of the platten to make sure I drop the plastic squarely on the vac-surface. Assuming work doesn't get too crazy today I hope to have a couple of pulls tonight.

Wish me luck and...

Stay tuned...

This is one cool build! :)
Don't worry about underestimate the amount of time that goes into one build, you're not alone.

This is one cool build! :)
Don't worry about underestimate the amount of time that goes into one build, you're not alone.

Lol, I definitely know you can sympathize. ;)

Well, last night was good and bad.

The good, got the guides in place
13780076634_659d1acab1_c.jpg

Got the buck lined up and started heating the plastic
13780492994_d868a9f080_c.jpg

The bad: the space heater almost, but not quite, generated enough heat to make the plastic maleable. Then it auto shutoff -safety feature to keep it from overheating.

Not to be defeated, I ran out to WalMart and bought a double-burner hot plate. Ummm, nope. It got the plastic hot enough in spots, but was too weak to heat the entire sheet.

Thinking I'll try a camp stove with gas burners next...

Stay tuned...

Vacuforming sounds pretty fascinating! Very interesting. Not to be a nerd or anything, but can you use a vacuformed plastic mold to make resin castings? It's all new to me & I find it a learning experience.

Vacuforming sounds pretty fascinating! Very interesting. Not to be a nerd or anything, but can you use a vacuformed plastic mold to make resin castings? It's all new to me & I find it a learning experience.
Hmmm, interesting question. I don't think it's something I'd try -the plastic would probably tear during the de-mold so you'd only get a single casting (assuming the resin didn't stick to the plastic permanently).

If anyone's tried it, please chime in with your experience.

Thanks for following my thread.

If the double heater just heats the plastic in some spots you can try using a manual heat gun on the rest if you have one available. Works to some degree to bend plastic sheets for me, but works best in small areas - but as the rest is a bit heated overall I imagine that it should work.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. It's looking great so far. It's a real bummer about your heat source. Can you get your hands on an oil filled heater? I know they sell them at walmart and they are pretty inexpensive, but they put out a huge amount of BTU's. Just a thought.

If the double heater just heats the plastic in some spots you can try using a manual heat gun on the rest if you have one available. Works to some degree to bend plastic sheets for me, but works best in small areas - but as the rest is a bit heated overall I imagine that it should work.
Thanks for your thoughts, I do have a heat gun that I use to ensure the edges get fully heated. Unfortunately, as you said, there was too much surface area to try and heat. BTW, loving the R2 build, can't believe how close you are to getting finished!

AMAZING so far! I cant wait to see more!
Thanks, stay tuned ;)

This is looking fantastic!

This is a proper beauty!
Thanks!

Thats starting to look like a real BEAUT...Nice one :thumbsup
Thanks, I'm getting excited about it.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. It's looking great so far. It's a real bummer about your heat source. Can you get your hands on an oil filled heater? I know they sell them at walmart and they are pretty inexpensive, but they put out a huge amount of BTU's. Just a thought.
That's a great idea, but I'd imagine it's going to have the same kind of safety shut off. I'm going to try something a little different.... ;)

Say hello to my little friend
14034037194_572fe3880e_c.jpg

Generates approx 15,0000 to 25,000 BTUs

I started working on the "stand". I still need to insulate the inside, but I think I'm close
14034052734_59a64cfb89_c.jpg

14030434621_cf6045e770_c.jpg

14030413622_157a3c8431_c.jpg

Stay tuned...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back