Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Wrist Communicator - 3D Print - WIP

Felgacarb

Sr Member
I found a little (very little!) free time to do some CAD modeling, so I thought I'd start a little project!

Here is what I have in mind:

And

Searching through screen caps and other projects, it looks as though there are at least two or three other flavors of these things as well- But to start out, I decided to model the two versions we actually see Shatner wear as Kirk.

Once I was happy with the first version of the models, I had Shapeways print them for me. As these are pretty small, it was not very expensive- around $30 each.

I did the wrist strap separately, so that I could replace it I wanted to fit someone with a different size wrist.... but for now, they look about right for me:

What do you think, a little big, maybe?

The next step will be finishing and painting them up.

I am excited about this, it will be my first chance to try out Smooth-On's "XTC-3D"

It should make finishing 3D prints like these much easier.

Stay tuned, it may be a while, as I try to sneak project time in amongst other things!

Thanks for looking!

Still haven't gotten to finish these, but I will soon!

In the meantime, here is the 'paper doll' one I made to check the dimensions...

Right! So, I think I learned a few things working with the Smooth-On stuff-

1) They suggest a working temperature of 73 degrees F- My first batch I tried to apply when it was closer to 85 F- you can do it, but mix very small amounts and work fast- it starts getting 'gummy' and goes on too thick- then dries like that.

2) It is no longer 'tacky' after about 2 hours, as advertised- but you still need to wait more like 24 hours before you can sand it.

3) The real trick is in applying thin coats. Work at the right temperature if you can, mix small batches, and move quickly.

With all that out of the way, here his how things turned out:

You can see here that some of my details are ending up a bit soft, even though they were pretty crisp in the 3D print. This is mostly due to my putting it on a bit thick.

Painting- I had hoped to just 'black wash' the text in- but the features were so small, and so soft after the smooth-on, that I had to fake them a bit.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. I added some black foamy, contact cemented inside the wrist band, and I'm calling these 'costume props.' For display props, I think I'd want another go at printing and applying the finish...

I was going to suggest that you first coat just one instead of using it on both but I was too late. Problem with finishing 3D prints is that it is still a frontier craft and the people who do the work are the ones to figure out what process to use depending on a parts geometry...the right tool for the right job. "Black ice" comes to mind with XTC since it's clear leaving you to not be certain where it ends and where the print starts.

The best results I have had for the shapeways nylon(what you selected) is primer coat, fine grit sanding, repeat as needed.

I would be very interested in purchasing one of the wrist communicators if you have any for sale. I've been searching for years for "tech" from Star Trek:The Motion Picture, but it's almost nonexistent. My email is Runnner63@gmail.com. Thank you and AMAZING results on your project!!

Oh those are super snazzy! I wonder if there's space to fit some bluetooth fanciness in there...

Are you planning on making these available through Shapeways?

I would be very interested in purchasing one of the wrist communicators if you have any for sale.Thank you and AMAZING results on your project!!

Thanks! (VioletSun & crown victoria, too!)

I'm not offering them for sale thru ShapeWays, as I don't have the license for Trek stuff, and I've had stuff pulled from them before (They got a C&D for an item I didn't advertise or try to sell at all!)

[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/user/Felgacarb/media/TMP/corridor-2_zpsxlrb8y4g.jpg.html][/URL]

Hey bra,

Greggo says you really need to airbrush something like that if you can. Sure its a bigger mess, and equipment cleaning and replacement learning curve, but the brush will just keep letting you down especially on the smaller projects. Keep on trucking mate!

Rue

Thanks! (VioletSun & crown victoria, too!)

I'm not offering them for sale thru ShapeWays, as I don't have the license for Trek stuff, and I've had stuff pulled from them before (They got a C&D for an item I didn't advertise or try to sell at all!)

Oh that's a shame, darn copywrite holders protecting their IP! :p

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back