Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

I also think all the haircuts are terrible. It's not so much the styles, as in the execution. I'm sure one could find much more attractive examples of all of those styles. Pike's hair now would have the same general description as it would have in S2 of Discovery, but there it looked fantastic, and here, not even close.

Imagine this look, with the uniform. I know, not regulation !

image.jpeg

Am I only only one who thought the "light disease" was going to be compared to moths attracted to a flame? I may not have been paying close enough attention, so maybe they did. Seems like it would be an obvious "Trek" thing to do - make an analogy to a simple thing, so I'm surprised if they didn't.
It also reminded me of the sci-fi/horror movie Sunshine.

Hmm, just realized who she reminds me of:
View attachment 1579179
View attachment 1579180
I guess someone working on ST: D was a fan of The Hunger Games! I mean, that can't be just a coincidence.

Yeah, I think Kurtzman just likes to steal characters wholesale. La’an Noonien Singh is just a clone of Camina Drummer from The Expanse. Don’t tell me you didn’t notice…

B1DC3A65-C481-42CF-A89B-965D34DA218C.jpeg
5F5E0EC4-2DF2-43A2-BB93-1C2937E8B216.jpeg

So far we've had the "first contact with a planet with hostile inhabitants" episode,
We've had the "diverting an apocalyptic comet" episode,
We've had the "virus affects the crew" episode, and
We've had the "Starship Down/Balance of Terror/Mutara Nebula showdown" episode.

For a show titled "Strange New Worlds", the writers seem to be more interested in treading grounds that other writers have gone before... and done better.

Next week's episode is called "Spock Amok"... no prizes if you can guess which TOS episode that one will be "influenced" by.

And good God, La'an Noonien Drummer is annoying as frack. She seems to be second guessing a lot of Pike's decisions on his own bridge in this latest episode. And I don't like the casualness of the bridge conversations, especially with Ortegas. Very unmilitaristic.

Last edited:
I was watching last night and wondering why La’an is such a major star of this show. She’s prominently featured in each episode.

My wish for her is that some time in the next few seasons, the Enterprise would encounter an anomaly where she will end up in an alternate dimension, ceasing to exist in the present one, and the rest of the crew would have no recollection she ever existed. That would explain why she wasn't mentioned in Space Seed etc.

Another good episode last night. They're batting 100.

My only issue was the production design of the cargo bay.
It looked similar to the engineering set, and was another instance of overdetail.

Considering the damage to the ship I wonder if we'll be at a spacedock near vulcan next episode.

Not to mention that the Enterprise was in space dock over a year for an EM pulse that knocked the systems out. But after this beating they’ll be back out next week like nothing happened.

I continue to respect Pike more and more with each episode. Spock is being handled very well. And though I never considered Uhura a prodigy (I’m thinking Hoshi Sato was ‘borrowed’) she definitely has more character development in a few episodes on this series than the character did on TOS.

So far we've had the "first contact with a planet with hostile inhabitants" episode,
We've had the "diverting an apocalyptic comet" episode,
We've had the "virus affects the crew" episode, and
We've had the "Starship Down/Balance of Terror/Mutara Nebula showdown" episode.

For a show titled "Strange New Worlds", the writers seem to be more interested in treading grounds that other writers have gone before... and done better.

Next week's episode is called "Spock Amok"... no prizes if you can guess which TOS episode that one will be "influenced" by.

And good God, La'an Noonien Drummer is annoying as frack. She seems to be second guessing a lot of Pike's decisions on his own bridge in this latest episode. And I don't like the casualness of the bridge conversations, especially with Ortegas. Very unmilitaristic.

This is all because Bad Reboot and Secret Hideout can only repurpose the works of others and/or create shamelessly derivative works. Total creative bankruptcy in service of keeping these zombie-franchises running. That other shoe will drop, sooner or later. They can't help themselves. They'll trash the most beloved characters, episodes, and movies just for shock value and clickbait articles.

And 'Lil Khan is just another example of The Message at work AND the continual disregard for continuity, lore, and common sense. Look forward to more and more examples of Not-Pike and Not-Spock being upstaged and talked down to by all of those strong women surrounding them.

These writers are steeling material from authors like Harlan Ellison, D.C. Fontana and others without giving them credit. This fact cannot be disputed.

Last edited:
Someone please explain this to me: how is it that the Gorn's clicks can be translated via something like Morse Code to the Latin Alphabet and from there to English words?
Screenshot_20220527_034340_org.videolan.vlc.jpg

These writers are steeling material from authors like Harlan Ellison, D.C. Fontana and others without giving them credit. This fact cannot be disputed.

It could be argued that, since the previous shows and novels and whatnot are all under the same legal ownership, it’s technically not stealing.

But, as can be seen throughout the franchise’s history, there have always been credits or acknowledgments when necessary, be they in-house (such as the repurposed PHASE II scripts that ended up being used for TNG), or to avoid potential lawsuits (like how the rights to Fredric Brown’s short story, “Arena”, were secured after someone realized that Gene Coon’s script for “Arena” may have been unintentionally influenced by that story, or was at least similar enough to potentially cause a problem).

And, as per standard procedure, even STAR TREK- THE MOTION PICTURE has the “Based Upon STAR TREK Created By Gene Roddenberry” credit, despite the fact that Roddenberry himself produced and co-wrote the film.

But, as we all know, plagiarism and rehashing the ideas and characters of better and more talented people is standard procedure for Bad Reboot and Secret Hideout. The idea of giving proper credit is as much of a joke to them as actually doing justice to past writers, actors, stories, and characters. They steal, throw things into a blender, and paint the nonsensical and dumbed-down results with an expensive topcoat to disguise the appalling quality of the writing and storytelling.

Last edited:
Someone please explain this to me: how is it that the Gorn's clicks can be translated via something like Morse Code to the Latin Alphabet and from there to English words?
View attachment 1580057

Ya, it seems a bit convenient. Looking at the numbers it seems like there are bound to be conflicts with letters. I guess contextually they could make sense like roman numerals sharing letters.

View attachment 1580057
Maybe that's why there are gaps; because the kid is trying to shoehorn an alien language into something recognizable. I believe him working out sequences for things like hunt more than the alphabet, but it was no more jarring for me than any number of other things trek has presented as solutions in the past.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back