Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

…he seems to think he’s getting under my skin with this behavior, when, in reality, he just continues to prove my points for me. I’m losing no sleep over this. I hit “ignore” long ago, and so all he has to counter my rational arguments is childish emojis. Like a bug smacking into a window again and again in a vain attempt to get attention from the people inside a house. Let this be an instructive moment for everyone.

This essentially is what the remaining fandom now consists of. And the current NuTREK “creators”, for that matter. Small-minded and spiteful children. Not rational adults who appreciate intelligent science-fiction and well-developed characters. That ship sailed long ago.

View attachment 1577525

Sorry, it seems I should have said “they”.

F7FB70E6-5511-45F9-B48E-0592287746B2.jpeg

I have problems with this last episode.

It was fun, but a couple things bothered me.

1st, the light sickness thing was bizarre AF and didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

2nd, Mbengu keeping his daughter stored in the transporter pattern buffer doesn't sit well with me at all.

The fact that Pike has a habit of deciding when/if starfleet protocols should be followed doesn't bother me though, and I'll explain why. They basically dragged him back into service, and with the knowledge of his impending circumstances it feels like he's not afraid to make decisions based on what he feels is right more than what the rules dictate. It feels like he wants to make sure he is doing right by people as much as he can before the accident happens. I half expect this to come to a head at some point, but I'm not sure what the writing team is building toward yet.

I continue to be impressed by the new Spock. I really like this interpretation of the character.

I have problems with this last episode.

It was fun, but a couple things bothered me.

1st, the light sickness thing was bizarre AF and didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

2nd, Mbengu keeping his daughter stored in the transporter pattern buffer doesn't sit well with me at all.

The fact that Pike has a habit of deciding when/if starfleet protocols should be followed doesn't bother me though, and I'll explain why. They basically dragged him back into service, and with the knowledge of his impending circumstances it feels like he's not afraid to make decisions based on what he feels is right more than what the rules dictate. It feels like he wants to make sure he is doing right by people as much as he can before the accident happens. I half expect this to come to a head at some point, but I'm not sure what the writing team is building toward yet.

I continue to be impressed by the new Spock. I really like this interpretation of the character.
I agree with your thoughts. It’s also nice to see a post about the show without attacking others points of view.

BE6A854E-9D38-41BF-8AB1-E7505602B63F.jpeg

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It just drives them crazy that I don’t care what they have to say about these terrible shows, doesn’t it? Any rational adult would just accept being ignored, and move on. Just as the real STAR TREK bred generations of scientists, engineers, and doctors, so too does NuTREK breed trolls, activists, and obnoxious contrarians.

Again, let this example be instructive.

I don't get how the transporter in sickbay being un-upgraded would be able to disable the biofilter of the transporter in the transporter room. Those should be different systems.

And wouldn't a stasis pod be more appropriate, and consume less energy? If anyone, the ship doctor should have access to stasis pods. Or had they not been invented yet in this era?
I think the trick of storing a person's pattern in a transporter buffer had been introduced in the TNG episode Relics. In that, it was described as a very strange trick by a clever engineer: Montgomery Scott. The transporters had certainly not been designed to allow that.

View attachment 1577692

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It just drives them crazy that I don’t care what they have to say about these terrible shows, doesn’t it? Any rational adult would just accept being ignored, and move on. Just as the real STAR TREK bred generations of scientists, engineers, and doctors, so too does NuTREK breed trolls, activists, and obnoxious contrarians.

Again, let this example be instructive.

Perhaps we should redirect this thread to the show it's ostensibly about rather than continue circling back around to how wrong all of us are about it.

I don't get how the transporter in sickbay being un-upgraded would be able to disable the biofilter of the transporter in the transporter room. Those should be different systems.

And wouldn't a stasis pod be more appropriate, and consume less energy? If anyone, the ship doctor should have access to stasis pods. Or had they not been invented yet in this era?
I think the trick of storing a person's pattern in a transporter buffer had been introduced in the TNG episode Relics. In that, it was described as a very strange trick by a clever engineer: Montgomery Scott. The transporters had certainly not been designed to allow that.
I'm unsure on this point as well. It brought to mind the TNG episode where Barclay was coherent during transport and saw the slug thing, though I realize that mid-transport is not the same thing as being stored in the pattern buffer.
This girl isn't awake during storage, right? That would be miserable.

To be fair, I have to say that I don’t find the “light disease” any more ludicrous than a disease that makes Yar have sex with Data the Android

BEA82654-C2C0-4022-B6D1-0E516470148E.jpeg

…or Data the Android to somehow “act” like he has caught a human disease (huh?)…

8F6EBCC1-5B93-4E0F-8DE8-805A7C654F45.jpeg

…or Sulu to chase crew members with a sword (“Oh…My!!”)….

FDF01700-BE88-44DD-8579-9D676B9C9402.jpeg

…or Spock the Vulcan to cry…

75C478C2-E15D-467E-9314-E9EBD29679DA.jpeg

…or Larry the crew member with blue coveralls to paint graffiti on the walls and act like a general idiot…

F19FA3DB-F943-4C3A-9BC2-37BF423D7A69.jpeg
74E0F08A-8CC9-4EDE-9695-425244260ADC.jpeg

Or Joe “Why are we in space?” Tormolin to kill himself with a deadly butter knife.

ECF6C98F-581F-423B-91E2-F70FBAF6B851.jpeg

And do I even need to bring up Lt. “I’ll take you home” Riley…?

159AB531-D45B-4285-9218-2ACB47C89E39.jpeg

My point is, the “light disease” follows on a proud tradition of ludicrous Star Trek diseases as a plot device.

I’m even willing to let pass a future episode that turns a crew member into a fish in a bath tub….

2D2A0D07-9057-4BEA-B985-A2AA608E67A2.jpeg

…or worse…

200F2DEB-2049-4581-89A5-B6141BD3F0C2.jpeg

Last edited:
I might be mistaken, but didn't they have to tap into the other systems / power to get the away team up? Maybe the medical transporter took the brunt of the processing in tandem with the rest?

My point is, the “light disease” follows on a proud tradition of ludicrous Star Trek diseases as a plot device.
The "light disease" is nothing more than a weird sci-fi disease. The disease of "The Naked Time" was a writing tool to allow the viewers to see what the characters' true personalities are, what they're like underneath it all. A full season's worth of character development in one episode. "The Naked Now" used it for the same purpose though it did feel imitative.

The "light disease" is nothing more than a weird sci-fi disease. The disease of "The Naked Time" was a writing tool to allow the viewers to see what the characters' true personalities are, what they're like underneath it all. A full season's worth of character development in one episode. "The Naked Now" used it for the same purpose though it did feel imitative.
Point taken, my friend

My first thought was that Chappell used it twice in the first episode and M’Benga wasn’t bothered by that.

I think the trick of storing a person's pattern in a transporter buffer had been introduced in the TNG episode Relics. In that, it was described as a very strange trick by a clever engineer: Montgomery Scott. The transporters had certainly not been designed to allow that

So the key difference is that M'Benga has to rematerialize his daughter periodically (he doesn't say how often, daily? weekly?). Otherwise the pattern degrades. Scotty's invention was using the diagnostic mode to avoid having to rematerialize.

Also I'm not sure we've been told before how long someone can stay in the buffer when everything is working properly. Usually when it comes up it's during an emergency, so we don't get good data.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back