Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

For those of you complaining that, in episode one of SNW, Uhura saying “cool” (after Pike recited the mission of the Enterprise) was an example of very poor use of contemporary slang in a future setting that will date the show in the future…

166B67B9-C423-47D5-88C6-131FE61CB27B.jpeg

…let me remind you of that moment in “Metamorphosis” when, after Kirk completed his famous “Risk Is Our Business” speech, Dr. McCoy gave the following, now famous, reaction:

FBDE13E7-1BD3-4216-9E81-F0B0E2C0CFDC.jpeg

For those of you complaining that proper military etiquette is not followed on SNW, such as the example of when Lt. Ortegas said to Pike “What’s your point, sir??”…

…allow me to remind you of all the times when Riker would get so tired of Picard ordering everyone around, like he was the captain, or something, that he would tell him to “shut-up”. I always loved it when he would do that as it added a layer of realism. I am certain that this type of casual disregard for rank and authority goes on all the time in the real-world military and shows strong camaraderie amongst the senior officers. I am sure Picard appreciated this kind of casual and direct feedback, as would any leader.

Last edited:
B5897C1D-921C-435F-93D9-B648FF37A185.jpeg
444D3ED6-D96B-42C5-9C65-441597BE6036.jpeg

Wow, that makes at least two petty guys, then. You’d think that people would be mature enough to accept dissenting opinions and agree to disagree, but, no, there’s definitely ego-insecurity at work amongst the Drekkies. You see, I got bored with their nonsense, and so employed the “ignore” function rather than engaging in pointless and petty arguments. They could easily do the same, and leave it at that. Agree to disagree and move on. Instead, they take potshots with emojis, like children. Of course, NuTREK is arguably written by people with the mentality of children (and not especially bright ones), so I guess that explains the appeal. The adults have long since left the room when it comes to this franchise.

I point all of this out not to antagonize them, but as a point of instruction. This is the mentality at work with the people who cling to the sinking ships of the once-great nerd franchises.

…allow me to remind you of all the times when Riker would get so tired of Picard ordering everyone around, like he was the captain, or something, that he would tell him to “shut-up”. I always loved it when he would do that as it added a layer of realism that I am sure goes on all the time in the military and shows strong camaraderie amongst the senior officers. I am sure Picard appreciated this kind of casual and direct feedback.
I just finished watching Chakotay telling Janeway that someone on rollerskates could be her great great great grandmother because they had the same legs.

two things that always become obvious to me when engaging in a discussion thread on the RPF:
1. In general, most people do not know how to converse or more specifically argue.
2. It is NOT ok to let people have an opinion that is different than yours, apparently.
These two forces tend to work in concert. lol

Well, it's another episode where I didn't feel like gouging my eyes out. Were there problems? Yes. But overall decent.

Some of my complaints:

3 episodes with 3 separate tragic backstories. Will this be a weekly trend?

It would be nice to have a Captain's Log entry to start an episode with.

Because the story is focused on Number One, Captain Pike was reduced to being useless on the planet surface.

La'an is getting more and more unlikeable.

Apart from the above, it was ok. I'll continue watching.

Watched “Ghosts of Illyria”, was good, settled into a story to feature a few of the crew. When it started I was thinking ‘oh no, bright colors and vespas!’ - my mind wanders like that sometimes when there is another planet in orbit, and it’s too early in the morning or the story to guess, but I digress.

and Alley - thanks to your posts, I am now keenly observing Pike’s resilience - the hair that is - an amazing feat of engineering that I am now very jealous of…

1652978516027.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back