Star Trek: Lower Decks

While I don’t care for the current shows being produced with Star Trek in their titles, and I truly detest them, my issues are with the lack of quality product being produced that inspires nothing. These current productions are part of the junk food meals being produced by a creativity bankrupt franchise.

However, having said that, I find some of The Doomcock’s ongoing “rants”, although entertaining at times, to be too hyperbolic and click baity for my taste. While these filmmakers seem be handling the Trek franchise in a way that I disagree with, creatively, I really don’t believe that they have an evil agenda of some type. I think the opposite is true and they really don’t have a defined agenda for the franchise, which is why we are where we are.

There is an unfortunate current trend on YouTube that has turned maximizing fan displeasure into a cottage industry. As The Doomcock says when he closes his videos: “Stay, angry...”

Last edited:
I am 5 episodes in and I quite enjoy this series. It really surprised me, but I am glad my preconceived notions were wrong.

I really thought the main character Mariner would be annoying as ****. And she is, but in a good and funny way. Her sarcasm is 100% what I enjoy in comedy. I don't mind the swearing because it is a comedy. And no, I don't ******* like the amount of hard swearing without any comedic point in the new trek. And I swear like a drunken me, while sober. Like so much, my kids are worried about how I'll be around their baby.

Anyway, the show. I particularly like that despite being a comedic quasi parody of Star Trek, (The Orville), I am astonished how much is FEELS like Star Trek while being more forward thinking than a lot of past (and current ********) Trek.

The designs are interesting. The sounds, and cooperative nature of people, and their minor conflicts and interpersonal issues, all seem to embody the feeling of Star Trek. And the comedy lets them get away with some outrageous stuff, unlike some other new Trek that somehow has no ability to engender anything remotely Trek like.

A ******* cartoon is better Trek than new live Trek. And I'll take it, because I really like it. OMFG, some of the dialogue between Mariner and her mother actually had me laughing aloud on the floor....

Lower Decks is fun to watch. It FEELS like Star Trek. And it makes me happy.

Ps: I was laying on the floor when watching it.

I am 5 episodes in and I quite enjoy this series. It really surprised me, but I am glad my preconceived notions were wrong.

I really thought the main character Mariner would be annoying as ****. And she is, but in a good and funny way. Her sarcasm is 100% what I enjoy in comedy. I don't mind the swearing because it is a comedy. And no, I don't ******* like the amount of hard swearing without any comedic point in the new trek. And I swear like a drunken me, while sober. Like so much, my kids are worried about how I'll be around their baby.

Anyway, the show. I particularly like that despite being a comedic quasi parody of Star Trek, (The Orville), I am astonished how much is FEELS like Star Trek while being more forward thinking than a lot of past (and current ********) Trek.

The designs are interesting. The sounds, and cooperative nature of people, and their minor conflicts and interpersonal issues, all seem to embody the feeling of Star Trek. And the comedy lets them get away with some outrageous stuff, unlike some other new Trek that somehow has no ability to engender anything remotely Trek like.

A ******* cartoon is better Trek than new live Trek. And I'll take it, because I really like it. OMFG, some of the dialogue between Mariner and her mother actually had me laughing aloud on the floor....

Lower Decks is fun to watch. It FEELS like Star Trek. And it makes me happy.

Ps: I was laying on the floor when watching it.
I agree. Having watched the entire season I really enjoyed every episode, esp. the last 2 or 3 of the season where they really seemed to have hit their stride. The writers clearly get Trek and are fans with a lot of references to past canon and aren't busy trying to re-write or majorly upset the existing canon, they work within the canon with about the only thing they add is a couple of new classes of ships and a new uniform. I love that they bring back species from previous Trek shows, including The Animated Series, put plenty of Easter Eggs for Trek Fans to look out for and geek out on, as well as not take themselves too seriously.

I agree. Having watched the entire season I really enjoyed every episode, esp. the last 2 or 3 of the season where they really seemed to have hit their stride. The writers clearly get Trek and are fans with a lot of references to past canon and aren't busy trying to re-write or majorly upset the existing canon, they work within the canon with about the only thing they add is a couple of new classes of ships and a new uniform. I love that they bring back species from previous Trek shows, including The Animated Series, put plenty of Easter Eggs for Trek Fans to look out for and geek out on, as well as not take themselves too seriously.
I couldn't believe that they put in (can't recall the name) the three armed race character. Cartoons certainly give them more leeway with what they can do. The comedy adds a refreshing no pressure spin on things as well.

It ended better than it began for sure.

The security officers death was very TNG in that he and Yar were both killed off in the 1st season.

I’m wondering if we’ll get a “Yesterday’s Cerritos” episode with him alive again at some point

Wow reading the first posts in this thread shocked me.... I really liked the series. It's silly quasi canon but damn it was fun and showed the creators have a lot of love for trek.

(the creators not kertzman)

Oh and I've basically set the fandom menace you tube channels on ignore. I can't stand their ******** exclusive insider fake news click bait any more.

They call themselves fans but really they're cash grabbing trolls now.

I was so happy with the last ep. It was such craziness, and surprise.

I thought this first season of this series was overall well done. It is 100% comedy, and it worked as such. I like that they through in a lot of classic positivity and cooperation of crew. Even if they blatantly mocked it in one episode, it's a comedy. There were a couple of over the top dark aspects, but again, cartoon and comedy.

And my wife blurted out: Tilly! Just before I was going to. I think we all know what I'm talking about.

I was apprehensive to this show after seeing the first SDCC trailer, as I thought it was just gonna be a Star Trek-themed Rick and Morty rip-off. I ended up binging the show in a few days, and I thought it was pretty damn funny. It pokes fun at all the little idiosyncrasies of the Star Trek universe, while managing to stay somewhat grounded as a continuation of the show itself. The characters are written surprisingly well-written, the animation (while being fairly simple) is also fairly well-detailed, and the cast is fantastic (including multiple amazing guest-stars and Star Trek regulars)! Can't wait for the next season!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back