Star Trek: Lower Decks

Ok, so, I wold certainly rather watch THIS that picard or discovery.

It's hard for me to put my finger on the pulse of what the target audience for this is though. I don't see it really aimed at traditional star trek audiences. if anyone watches this, it's going to be folks that have CBS streaming service, and aren't particularly star trek fans, but have a passing knowledge of the shows (but even then, the jokes will likely play too far into the lore, and ultimately turn those folks off).

That said, just from a practicality stand point, I'm not subscribing to CBS's service for anything. I'm full up on streaming services, and I'm not adding another.

More rinse and repeat Kurtzman rubbish.
Pass.
It just looks like more "Star Trek" for people who find the other shows "too cerebral". This has now crossed even further into Bro-Trek territory.
There is a lot of lipservice paid, but it just seems like they're filling a tick chart of easter eggs rather than writing Star Trek.

This doesn't say Star Trek to me, it's a generic contemporary cartoon with Star Trek's name slapped on as a title.
The idea of exploring a crew that follows up on a first contact has merits if done well. Given the track record of the current regime it will likely just be exactly what we've seen in the trailer, thinly veiled fart jokes and phaser fights because "it's cool".

I can imagine the dialogue, "dude this second contact with the gazorpazorps is lame, let's go down to the holodeck and make it with some Orion slave girls". "Dude, yes! I'm there" then a chest bump and away you go.

They even shoe horned in a thinnly veiled fart gag with the character "emptying the waste" from the Holodeck.
Come on!
This is just tragic.
If you even entertain for a nanosecond that there would be some kind of waste, it would be recycled in the matter reclamation system in the same way as the replicators when you've finished a meal and return the dishes to the replicator. But then you can't do the "fart gag" so let's again ignore the established lore and go for the lowest common denominator because it's "cool".

Star Trek's core has been so creatively depleted under the Bad Robot/Secret Hideout banner that it is just a blackhole of what once was a great franchise.

Last edited:
I think the trailer was pulled from Youtube after getting more dislikes than likes.
Quite a telling sign.
Also the fact that Netflix and Amazon passed on international distribution rights after being burned by Disco Picard respectively is maybe another sign of the failing confidence in Kurtzman Trek.

I watched the trailer and thought that it was kind of funny. Trek has always had its humorous elements so I don't see why they can't have a comedic take on Trek for a show. Not that I plan on subscribing just to watch this show, but I may binge watch it with season 2 of Picard.

What a pity because the stories that have been done between TNG on through Voyager concerning just the unknown grunts with piss-work keeping the ship running have always been some of my favorites.

This would've been a great concept had it been done as straight as any other Trek series.

Remember the TNG episode "Conundrum"? Commander McDuff, a disguised Sutteran insidiously sneaked his way onto the Enterprise, had to wipe everyone's memories to even try to fit in with the group of highly qualified, trained professionals but was ultimately exposed as the charlatan who just wanted to blow things up, eliminate his dissenters.
Remind you of a particular current showrunner?
Even in the 90s, Star Trek was accurately depicting, what were then to be future events, but are our tragic present.

That is typical of the current people running Star Trek. They don't listen to what the fans have to say in the first place and then make it impossible for them to make their views known.

The trailer is still up, they just disabled comments and ratings after it received twice as many dislikes.

CBS must know deep down they have another Kurtzman clunker on their hands and are scared of the feedback that fans will give.
There has been legitimate, constructive feedback on all of the new Kurtzman Star Trek but they seem to blindly accept whatever he churns out. Disco, Picard and now very likely Lower Decks, all mediocre, poorly written sci-fi series that wouldnt have half the viewers if not for the words Star Trek in the title.

Sad that our beloved franchises have fallen victim to the results of corporations making only corporate decisions. Maybe similar to running a country as if it were a business. Passion, love, respect, these aren't natural traits. They have to be learned and cultivated. If the industry is all about churning out businessmen to be television execs, then that's what we're going to get more of. I'm seeing quite a few similarities to how the advertising industry works, seems like its all about 'face value of the aesthetics' first, and some semblance of story development is now secondary.

Naturally, the obvious counter argument would be that Hollywood has always been about making money. Fine, that is a tough one to dispute. But it seems like all the big studios have no interest in passion projects that aren't loaded with ideological messaging intended to bring long-standing franchises up to date and into current time. This is really sad and illogical cosidering most of these franchises are based on aspiring for a better future.

Didn't STD make a profit for CBS before it even aired? The first season was sold, was it to Netflix? So as long as they make their $1 Billion average that's enough to keep it going? Really? With Disney being approximately $71 Billion down with acquiring 20th Century?

It's almost like Hollywood is a business knowing it could always file bankruptcy if it bites off more than it can chew. There must be some serious deficits going on. It seems like a system that is headed for disaster like a stock market crash or worse, an environmental disaster we won't be able to walk away from. Where is their money coming from? Who's consuming these so-called successful series?

I expect the shut down of comments and rating is more to do with the fact the show is done, and there's no fixing anything at this point; and they'd rather at least get it out there for folks that will watch it. Honestly, it seems like they can make as many star trek shows that star trek fans hate as they want; they all seem to subscribe and watch them all just so they can feel bad for themselves. lol

Most Star Trek Fans said:
"The only thing worse than when I watched season one of STD, was when i watched season TWO of STD. Picard was terrible and it's a travesty to the characters. I can't wait for the new seasons."

:p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back