Star Trek: Lower Decks

Didn't STD make a profit for CBS before it even aired? The first season was sold, was it to Netflix? So as long as they make their $1 Billion average that's enough to keep it going? Really? With Disney being approximately $71 Billion down with acquiring 20th Century?

It's almost like Hollywood is a business knowing it could always file bankruptcy if it bites off more than it can chew. There must be some serious deficits going on. It seems like a system that is headed for disaster like a stock market crash or worse, an environmental disaster we won't be able to walk away from. Where is their money coming from? Who's consuming these so-called successful series?

Basically Netflix paid for season 1. Netflix then turned down buying the short treks. And said they did not want to pay for Season 2. CBS then allegedly offered the short treks for free, still no. As far as I know, Season 3 won't be on Netflix either.

Amazon paid a lot for Picard season 1, and now neither Netflix or Amazon want Picard season 2.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll never understand how despite Disney's stupidity, Star Wars can be made that at least still looks and feels like Star Wars. I mean, some of it has been *****, but still, it feels like Star Wars.

But Star Trek hasn't had that. No one cares. The fans are immediately labeled racist or homophobic if they complain about ANYTHING, and the people working on the show just seem to want to twist it into some generic sci fi. ..

I think the fact that folks can get ostracized from trek more easily by fans is that star trek started out as a show that had more social commentary going on in it. It specifically tried to have those plot lines and characters.

Star wars is a samurai western greek heroe's journey movie set in space fantasy, it's not even trying to play with interpersonal relationships on a cultural level. it focuses on personal journeys, rather than social journeys.

The residual of that, is there's not a great place to try and start fitting those stories into star wars; so the most we get is folks trying to expand on the representation of groups in star wars (it's never really a plot point, it's just a way a person is, and it doesn't cause conflict). When they try (like the gambling planet in VIII) it just feels out of place, because that's nothing star wars has ever tried to be a story about. Where as in star trek, their core concept is that it's hard for new cultures to get along with each other (first contact, different space faring species, all that).

So if a person complains about something in Trek, they're complaining about a core concept, not a window dressing.

Animated or not, with a title like "Lower Decks", they should really have brought back Sito Jaxa, same actress of course.

Not what them buffoons did with Picard, not even ask the original actors....

Looks to me like someone took an 'edgy' cartoon, & hacked a ST: TNG skin on it.

I mean, Seth MacFarlane did 'ST' comedy without spitting on the fans, much the same way Galaxy Quest did earlier. He should sue them for badly stealing his concept.

IMO, self-referencing comedy doesn't do very well when it's made by the people trying to make money on the franchise.

Worth watching. Not worth buying a new streaming service to watch. But worth watching. LoL

I won't lie, I dig the uniforms. I like the TNG style color pallet with the ST II-VI fold over front idea. Even the white ribbing at the color change is interesting. I wonder how that would look in real life.

Just wait until Star Trek: Prodigy comes out next year that'll fix the franchise once and for all. I entertained an idea today that maybe JJ was so bummed out he couldn't make any money off Star Trek merchandising that he set out to to degrade the franchise out of spite. I wouldn't put it past him. If they can't make money off it, it's useless to the ruthless businessman. Maybe they want to ensure no more Star Trek gets made because after all this smoke is clear who know what networks or studios will want to tackle buying or producing any more series.

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority in saying that I found it to be quite funny and I'd actually watch this show, maybe not subscribe to another streaming service just for it, but I'd watch it for free or binge watch it and then cancel. I think that there's nothing wrong with taking a comedic approach to Trek. You all have to admit that there is a lot that you can make/poke fun at in Star Trek. Given how serious STD and Picard were, I think that a lighter, more humorous approach to Trek would be a welcome change. Who knows, it might just turn out to be more Trek than the STD or Picard despite being an animated comedy. I wouldn't be surprised if the show runner(s) and writers are big Trekkies and this is there way of getting a Trek show that's more faithful to TOS and TNG than anything else so far.

Interesting.... Im kinda 50/50 on it (from the video above). From a money-making standpoint: its a hell of alot cheaper to make a cartoon, then it is to make a starship bridge, hallways, quarters, docking bays, etc...

I wonder if they intended to screw around and make it a joke, so people would be happy to see a serious live actiin versiin when they do that again, or if they just wanted to change things up and see how the fans take to it....

I wonder......

Meh. A cross between Star Trek and Rick and Morty...but with so little of anything good to watch on TV I will hope for the best for this. After all, its only one episode that has aired. After watching the first Star Trek TNG, I didn't think that would last more than one season.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back