Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

And they were filmed and cut out of the '09 film but you can see the scene in the special features. That cut scene actually went a long way to explaining Nero's character and motivation better.

And they were filmed and cut out of the '09 film but you can see the scene in the special features. That cut scene actually went a long way to explaining Nero's character and motivation better.

Unlike that scene, the footage showcasing the Klingons is on a huge built set-piece, features Uhura, Kirk and Cumberbatch and features some pretty interesting special effects. If they cut that scene out, JJ is officially the worst budget spending director ever.

I had just assumed they would be cut out again. Hopefully they are actually relevant in this film.

I just hope it does not end with a pregnant Carol Marcus.

I just hope it does not end with a pregnant Carol Marcus.

$20 says it will be a son. Even in a alternate reality where things are forever changed, nothing can stop the constant need for father/son issues. I've had my fill of Wesleys, Alexanders, and Jakes already.

A constant need for people issues. Dude, chick, or undecided, everyone has them. Your sex or gender has little to do with them in the grand scheme.

A constant need for people issues. Dude, chick, or undecided, everyone has them. Your sex or gender has little to do with them in the grand scheme.

And as I've stated, the variety of said issues is pretty lackluster. Robert Justman, one of the supervising producers on TNG tried to convince Gene Roddenberry to change Wesley into a female character, stating "Geez, everybody has boy teenagers; let's do a girl. Let's explore the problems that female adolescents go through, you know, because that's never done." And not only did Gene keep Wesley male (Because you can't have a full Marry Sue if you can't name it after yourself, and Wesley ain't a girl's name!), Deep Space Nine gave Sisko a son as well.

But I do understand your "gender doesn't matter" point, I just don't think it should be held in absolute. For instance, I'll say that one's gender doesn't matter in regards to a person's abilities or character, while at the same time I believe that a person's gender does matter because of their ability to carry out roles that most wouldn't associate them. It helps reinforce the first point without sounding dismissive. If you only follow the first point, you're going to be stuck telling stories that are only about one gender and using the "doesn't matter" excuse when it clearly does.

In this case I agree with Jeyl that Kirk with a daughter that he discovers when she's an adult would be cool.

They made a good move when they had Pike (and as an extension, Starfleet) become the father figure and tell Kirk about his dad. It made his connection to the Federation unshakeable.

However, when Kirk & David first met in TWOK there was no real dynamic there, just two men that didn't really like eachother. If Kirk had a daughter that relationship would be much more interesting because, by nature of how a father looks at a daughter vs. a son Kirk would be much more likely to pull his punches and himself be more vulnerable.

She would respect who he was but hate him at the same time making the consolidation a more interesting journey. Even more bitter should she die in a similar circumstance to David...

BUT!

I really hope they just leave it be. It's a LONG time before this crew can play versions of themselves with adult children.

However, when Kirk & David first met in TWOK there was no real dynamic there, just two men that didn't really like each other.

Well, that is still a dynamic, right? And one that matured in TSFS. Shatner actually has two superb moments of acting in that film: his reaction to David's death, and earlier when he says "Warp speed" while stealing the Enterprise. He wraps so much into that one line.

Well, that is still a dynamic, right? And one that matured in TSFS. Shatner actually has two superb moments of acting in that film: his reaction to David's death, and earlier when he says "Warp speed" while stealing the Enterprise. He wraps so much into that one line.

Ya, it's a dynamic, and I'm not saying it was bad either. I just think they could have done a lot more with it so I'm not adverse to trying with a daughter.

Kirk's reaction to David's death was Earth shattering. Some of the best acting I've ever seen Shatner do. Arguably one of the strongest moments of any of the films. :thumbsup

Zoe-Saldana-as-Uhura-in-wetsuit-Star-Trek-Into-Darkness.png

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back