Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Nice, nice. :thumbsup
Wait a minute...was someone actually implying that there were other characters on Enterprise?!
:lol

Ok, so who was the RPFer who coined the term 'Cumber-Khan'? :lol

Because I get the feeling we might be using more frequently.

A buddy of mine said Entertainment Weekly announced it will be Khan as the new villain. I don't know how accurate that is.

I don't think I'll be surprised either way.

My bad, missed that.
Yeah? It was a mistake?

Like I said, I won't be surprised if it is actually Khan and it was just a whole campaign of misinformation. And I won't be surprised if it isn't Khan.

Fingers crossed, it'll just be GOOD.:)

I just wish they had a better song that wasn't meant as a huge love letter to how awesome humanity is while at the same time being a big fu** you to the Vulcans. You don't think that was the point? Here's a taste of Archer's behavior around T'Pol, all from the first episode of the series.

And it's not like this series had any interest in letting the Vulcans have a point to show humanity that there are ways that are better than the ones we have. No. One of this re-occuring theme throughout this series that all the Vulcans ever do is hold humanity back. It's such a big theme that even other aliens comment on it. T'Pol can't even make a comment regarding crew morality without Archer lashing out at her. So if your theme song was meant to show how selfish and condescending our heroes are towards anyone who has a different opinion, well, mission accomplished.

To me its just a good bit of music, @#$% the Vulcans. Apologies to any Vulcans who might read this.:lol

I didn't mind it at first but then it started grating me and I skipped it every time I watched. It's like tuning in to Trek and getting Christian rock. :lol

Ha! I watched Enterprise all four years, never terribly enjoyed it, but every time the theme song came on I would either rush to hit mute on the remote or dash out of the room with fingers in my ears. To this day I have not heard the song in its awful entirety.

Popped in Trek 09 last night to look at the Enterprise again for the upcoming model. But I also got into the story. Have some questions.

In the original TOS, Spock served with Pike for 11 years on the Enterprise. In Trek 09, Pike tells Spock, "Be careful with her, she's a new ship!"

Why would Pike make Kirk, a cadet, that he did not want on the ship, the First Officer? Are there not several 'officers' on the ship that would be in line?

Checkov did not join the Enterprise until the second year of her five year mission, and he was 22, not 17?

Uhura, a cadet fills in for a lieutenant who can't speak Romulan. Okay, I get that, but because he can't speak Romulan and she can, he get's reassigned permanantly?

The transporter can get a lock on Kirk and Sulu free falling to the planet's surface and beam them up, but it can't get a lock on Spock's mom, who is standing? Once the transporter has a lock, it doesn't hold the pattern? Does that mean if you are beaming up a bad guy in custody, all he has to do is wait until the transporter takes effect, begins to beam him up, then jump out of the way, take off running saying "tee hee" as he gets away?

And again, Spock and Uhura clearly state that since Nero came back and changed events, their "TIMELINE" had been altered, not a parallel or alternate universe as so many people insist on believing.

I'm sure there's more....

First off I'll start with this...

can-of-worms.jpg

Now my take on what I think some possible answers are... ;)

In the original TOS, Spock served with Pike for 11 years on the Enterprise. In Trek 09, Pike tells Spock, "Be careful with her, she's a new ship!"

This simply boils down to the "alternate timeline" aspect. This is a different Enterprise altogether.

Why would Pike make Kirk, a cadet, that he did not want on the ship, the First Officer? Are there not several 'officers' on the ship that would be in line?

Other than the obvious answer that the plot requires Kirk to eventually be in command (and this is one of the steps to get him there)---

Pike knows that Kirk has his father in him, and knows that he can be a leader. This is precisely why he encouraged Kirk to join Starfleet. However Kirk in this case is the "reluctant Hero" that needs a "push" to achieve that status. The need for a new First Officer is the opening Pike needs to give Kirk that "push." Think of Ben Kenobi egging on Luke to become a Jedi.

Checkov did not join the Enterprise until the second year of her five year mission, and he was 22, not 17?

Okay... all we know from the TOS is that Chekov joined the bridge crew as navigator in the second season. For all we know he may have been on the Enterprise in the first season in the lower decks (this explanation has also been used for "How did Chekov know who Khan was?" in ST:II).

I'll give you the age discrepancy.

Uhura, a cadet fills in for a lieutenant who can't speak Romulan. Okay, I get that, but because he can't speak Romulan and she can, he get's reassigned permanantly?

To be honest I never really noticed this one. :lol

The transporter can get a lock on Kirk and Sulu free falling to the planet's surface and beam them up, but it can't get a lock on Spock's mom, who is standing? Once the transporter has a lock, it doesn't hold the pattern? Does that mean if you are beaming up a bad guy in custody, all he has to do is wait until the transporter takes effect, begins to beam him up, then jump out of the way, take off running saying "tee hee" as he gets away?

Total fail on the writer's part- major plot hole and I completely agree with you.

And again, Spock and Uhura clearly state that since Nero came back and changed events, their "TIMELINE" had been altered, not a parallel or alternate universe as so many people insist on believing.

This boils down to your personal belief on how time travel works-

Is time travel like rewinding or fast forwarding a video tape? ONE timeline that gets changed?

Or is it the "multi-verse" theory that travelling to the past creates a parallel universe in which a new series of events takes place?

The movie relies heavily on the "multi-verse" theory (I think).

Kevin

Which got even goofier when the moment Uhura takes his station, she hears.... nothing. We really needed her for that apparently.

You know, I bet the original officer is really kicking himself right now for not even trying to monitor communications. If you can't distinguish between Romulan or Vulcan, doesn't that mean you can at least understand it? And if you don't understand it, than obviously the universal translator is BROKEN! Vulcans and Humans have been working together for at least a century and a half and openly talk with each other without much effort. How can you not understand Vulcan when you can understand the half Vulcan FROM Vulcan on the same bridge that you are on??

I think this was a case of the writers throwing in that "alternate reality" scene at the very last minute because no one brings it up before or after it takes place. After all, if this isn't their reality, why do we get lines like this?

Spock: He beamed me here, so that I could observe his vengeance. As he was helpless to save his planet, I would be helpless to save mine.
Spock: I just lost my planet. I can tell you, I am emotionally compromised.

That's not your home Spock. Vulcan from your reality is fine. If you know more about what's going on than NuSpock, you should have come up with that conclusion rather than acting like this is the real deal. Not saying you shouldn't take the deaths of billions of Vulcans seriously, but for god's sake, quit calling it your home!

Or is it the "multi-verse" theory that travelling to the past creates a parallel universe in which a new series of events takes place?

The movie relies heavily on the "multi-verse" theory (I think).

Kevin

Yup, turn left from the Trek Prime Universe and you get the Mirror Universe where Spock was rocking the goat-tee. Turn further left and keep going and you get the Abrams-Verse Trek. Turn right and you get Firefly. Turn further right and keep going, after passing the Space Cruiser Yamato 'Verse and you end up in the Doctor Who Universe(s).

Is time travel like rewinding or fast forwarding a video tape? ONE timeline that gets changed?

It would have to be the first one because as it was depicted in the film, Nero and Spock entered the black hole (UGH) at different times, sending them into different time zones..... IN THE SAME REALITY. If they were travelling to different time periods, obviously Spock should have entered a reality that didn't have Nero.

And if you think about the "But if Nero went back in time, than why wasn't the current time line changed before Spock entered the black hole?" Simple. Temporal Wakes. :p

Popped in Trek 09 last night to look at the Enterprise again for the upcoming model. But I also got into the story. Have some questions.

And now in the preview comic they just ran into Robert April, so there were a lot of Enterprise Capt.'s running around!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back