Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Complete!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Felgacarb, May 2, 2012.

1. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

Here's a tricorder you don't see all that often- however I've convinced myself I need at least one for costuming purposes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since it's primary function is to complement a costume, the requirements of this build will be a bit different, I think.

First, it has to look good with the costume. (This is actually easier than if it had to look good all by itself on a display shelf.)

Next, it has to survive being dragged around all day for a couple of days in a row.

Third, since most Star Trek costumes are severely limited in respect to pockets (field jackets not withstanding!) I want it to be able to serve as a purse. If I can have it hinge open and hold a camera or phone, cash and a couple of cards, it will be perfect.

Lastly, it would be fun it it would still open and light up the way it should. Since it only requires a few LED blinking, that may be doable even with the other requirements.

So, the first step is to get some drawings or sketches to work with. The approach I took was to make a CAD model (SolidWorks) based on whatever photographs I could find. This is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the details are there. My next step will be to print it up and make a paper mock-up, to see if I nailed the scale or not.

My current plan is to make wooden bucks, then press custom shells out of thin thermoform plastic (kydex) for the outside, with aluminum rails for a frame inside. We'll see if that plan survives the initial testing...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. metrosonus

metrosonus Active Member

Re: Star Trek III Tricorder Project - barely begining

that... is pretty cool. I'm a huge fan of anything I-IV. good luck!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  3. Sc0tty

Sc0tty Member

Yeah, me too. If only MR still existed we'd probably have a full set of the movie props by now.

One thing that always bothered me about these Tricorders - where the screen to give out all the important data you need ? (or is it that green bit ?)

4. Felgacarb

I could be wrong, but I think the green bit on mine is intended to be the display screen.

(In the films- did it ever display a graphic, or just blinky lights?)

5. Aquaman

Aquaman Sr Member

love this one! Keep going! Make it a blinky!!!

6. Aquaman

Aquaman Sr Member

7. Jeff_Haas

Jeff_Haas Active Member

What I like about the prop is that Sulu is holding it the same way Spock used to hold the original tricorder...with all the buttons facing away from him and toward the camera, so the audience can see them! It's always funny when Spock uses one of the originals upside down.

Since you've got this in a 3D program, it seems that you could also have it 3D printed.

8. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yup... looks much like my own. :cool

[​IMG]

9. Felgacarb

Thanks for the video, and the picture- every bit helps!

Phase Pistol, could you give me a dimension, such as overall width? I think I have the proportions about right, but I don't trust my scale- I think my model is too big right now. It is 8.25" tall (open) right now...

Here are some pictures for scale- the Coke can and ruler are 1:1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too big? I'm thinking so...

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  10. Felgacarb

I just need to get a better feel for how much too big it is... I'm not doing too well finding better scale photos...

[​IMG]

This may help me a bit- I can probably get reasonably close comparing the solar system patch on Saavik's jacket to the prop.

[​IMG]

If only they'd taken a moment in the film to set the phaser and tricorder down on a table, next to each other... with a soda can... and a ruler...

I may have to stare at these for a while longer. (Which is OK, I won't get to work on it this weekend anyway.)

11. Felgacarb

Re: Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Scale set

Using the solar system patch as a guide (It is exactly 5 inches in diameter) I've gotten a decent estimate for the tricorder scale now. (It's just a bit over 3.5 inches wide)

[​IMG]

So, here is what the model is looking like sized down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I can print out patterns from this model, then start experimenting with the thermoform plastic...

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. Captain Finney

Captain Finney Member

I can't applaud you enough for taking this on...For this Trek movie fan, THIS is the grail prop. I've been longing to get my paws on one of these for decades. Good luck!

13. phase pistol

Sorry I didn't see your request until just now. I'll try to get some measures for you tonight when I get home if I can.

k

14. phase pistol

Ok here's what my caliper says:

Height (open): 6.952"

Height (closed): 6.1"

Width: 3.505"

15. Felgacarb

Thanks Phase Pistol!

That will help- right now my computer model is 6.78" open, 5.98" closed and 3.58" wide- I'll need to tweak my proportions a bit...

16. phase pistol

Not bad tho, for just eyeballing it! :)

17. Felgacarb

Alright, getting closer. Actually, getting to where I thought I was two days ago. (Which is where I thought I was two days before that, too!)

But I'm slightly more there this time! With Phase Pistols measurements, (Thanks again!) I've gone back and adjusted the model a bit. Might not be all that obvious in these pictures, but the proportions and overall size should be about there now. (Mostly I just wanted to avoid "doing a playmates" and end up with a prop that is obviously out of scale to those who know what they are looking at...)

So, here are the cheesy shots with the Coke can again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The CAD model now has more detail in it than I'll probably be able to capture in my build, but we'll see how it goes.

Next, (again) is to print out the plans from the model...

18. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Im really loving this build... Will you make these available to the faithful?

-Skyler101

19. Felgacarb

Thanks! Although I haven't actually built anything yet! Not outside of the computer, at least...

My plan is to build one good set of bucks (undersized positive models) and press the kydex over them, probably 4 or 5 separate parts, then then assemble and paint while I decide how fancy the electronics should be. However I fear I just won't get enough detail with that approach, and will end up falling back to just having kydex shells with most of the detail glued on to the outside.

If the first plan works, making extra shells for others may be possible. If I have to go plan B, it would probably be too much time required.

I hope to do my first high detail forming tests this weekend...

20. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Got to be honest, I have NO IDEA what your talking about!
    After the word "KYDEX", I felt like Maxwell Smart....
    "Did you get all of that Max?"
    "Everything till you said Kydex!"

It sounds like an interesting process. Still loving this build! I'm always interested in new techniques and processes. Anyone got a primer on Kydex?

"Missed it by that much....." :)

-Skyler101

21. Felgacarb

Sure- kydex is a type of thermoplastic. It's very rugged and pretty easy to work with, and is a popular material for making sheaths and holsters out of. (Sci-fi ones, too. I believe it was used to make phaser and tricorder holsters in Star Trek, from TNG on, and laser holsters in BSG TOS, and the first season clamshell holster in the new BSG.)

You can heat it up in a toaster oven (or regular for larger pieces) until it softens, then form it- and rework it later with a heat gun. In this case, I'm using a foam rubber padded press to force it down over my buck. (The idea is similar to vacuforming, only instead of pulling the air out and pushing the plastic with atmospheric pressure, I'm pushing with the heat-resistant foam.)

I actually did the first test tonight. It looks as though I will be able to do the big features this way, but all those tiny rectangles and triangles are going to have to be glued on after the fact. Here's what my test part looks like:

[​IMG]

22. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Thanks for the info... I also googled it, and its very interesting.
    Love the pics, and my mind is exploding with possibilities... :)

If I can help with anything, let me know... A shame I can't come down and help... :)

-Skyler101

23. Jeff_Haas

Jeff_Haas Active Member

Just wondering...if you have the tricorder modeled in 3D on the computer, couldn't you have it printed by a company, using a 3D printer? I know this goes into a totally different area, but it's looking like this will get more and more affordable in the near future.

24. Felgacarb

That's a good point. I could- I hollowed out my model (mostly kept a wall thickness about 2mm) and had it quoted by Shapeways. For a two part hollow version (separate sensor head) made out of the 'frosted detail' material it would be about $400. (The 'white strong' material would be only about half that, but it doesn't capture the detail that well, and it doesn't take paint well, either.) If I really thinned out the walls I might be able to bring that down to close to $300.

I want two of them, and I think going with my current plan it will be closer to $40 of material (and a lot of my time) each to make them- that's an order of magnitude less. Since these are intended primarily as costume accessories, I think I'll try to find the time to build them. (I also have to find time to finish the costumes, but that will be a separate thread.)

However, if you know of newer, less expensive ways to get things 3D printed, I'd be interested...

25. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

I like your way Felgacarb...

One of the things that always gets in the way is cost. 3D printing costs will come down, but $40 against $400.... Unless you need it yesterday, there is no argument!

Also, you get bragging rights that you made it yourself! :)

-Skyler101

26. Felgacarb

You are so right. Most days, I'd prefer to have a prop or costume that 85% there and say I made it myself than a 99% professionally done item...

It's like Jay Leno said about cars- anyone can show up in a new Lamborgini if they have enough money, but if you arrive at a party driving a Stanley Steamer, it means you also know how to fix stuff by the side of the road!

27. Jeff_Haas

Jeff_Haas Active Member

That's the first time I've heard a price quote for a prop like this, so it's a good point of reference. I'm going to Maker Faire Bay Area in a couple of weeks, I'll talk to the various 3D printing companies there and see what I can find out.

I think what will happen is that commercial 3D printing will get more competitive, driving prices down. And at the same time, 3D printers cheap enough for individuals to own will go up in resolution so what you can turn out on them will have smooth surfaces.

You'll either send your files to the 3D printer at FedEx/Kinko's or you'll have a 3D printer sitting on your desk.

Oh, and the way I see it, if you built the model in 3D, you made it!

28. Felgacarb

I do agree with that...

So, I started the actual work today. Sadly I won't have much free time this weekend, but here is how it's going:'

Bench with paper templates, scrap wood & kydex-
    [​IMG]

Power sanding to get the rounded edges-
    [​IMG]

Working on the front circle detail-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail panels out of scrap kydex-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You really do want safety glasses for dremeling plastics. Just trust me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glue 'em down, then heat and bend the edges-
    [​IMG]

And here is where I must leave it for today-
    [​IMG]

29. Felgacarb

Re: Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Work In Progress

Right- so this afternoon, I attempted pressing my first piece.

Cut the kydex-
    [​IMG]

Set up the buck in the press-
    [​IMG]

Heated the thermoplastic with my super-high-tech toaster oven-
    [​IMG]

Clamped it all down-
    [​IMG]
    (Those are 'welding clamps'- great for this sort of thing, quick to use and adjust to a good range of sizes...)

Here's what the first try came out looking like-
    [​IMG]

Next I rolled the sides under a bit using the heat gun-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm not really happy with it. the details really are all too soft. And the corners are a disaster. It could be made to work as a stunt or background prop perhaps, but that's not what I'm going for. (Maybe I've just spent too long looking a Robn1's builds!)

So, I'm considering laying down a line of suppressing fire with incinerators and falling back in squads. Which in this case, means my official plan B: Making simpler, plain shells out of kydex (with some relief cuts for the corners) and having most of the details be separate, glued on parts. It will mean a lot more parts (and work) but will certainly yield much sharper features.

Stand by for the next attempt....

robn1 likes this.
  30. phase pistol

You could make it in the form of two concentric shells, one on top of the other, and then cut away shapes on the outer shell to form the "plates" that you see on the prop. Unless that's what you were alluding to.

K

31. Felgacarb

That's pretty close to what I've got in mind- the outermost plates are non-contiguous, so I'll probably make them each individually, and then glue them on...

32. peter1701

peter1701 Well-Known Member

Wow looking fantastic. I love to watch your projects come to be. You make it look too easy!

33. phase pistol

I figure that must be how they made the command module plates on the Space : 1999 Eagle...

[​IMG]

34. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

Awesome! Totally awesome. I'm following this with great interest.

35. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Wow... For an attempt, Im blown away...

I wonder if you could do the same with 2mm styrene and get sharper detail. You could the cut the pieces up and add it to your shell....

This is truly amazing stuff...

Blown away...

-Skyler101

36. robn1

robn1 Master Member

That press idea looks pretty cool, I've never seen that before.

That sounds like a good way to go. Use the press to make the basic shape in styrene, then add the raised details. Even Kydex might work better without the extra plates.

And yes, the Eagle command module was made from two vacformed shells in plastic, one was cut up into the plates which were then glued to the other shell.

37. Felgacarb

I didn't know that- dang it, now I want to build an Eagle!

I got a little bit more done last night- added those tiny triangle buttons to the front using in a way that should make them nearly knock-off-proof. Hopefully I can put up more progress photos tonight.

I also noticed in this picture:
    [​IMG]

(You have to squint, it's pretty low-res) that there is another black rectangle on the front (usually covered by the actor's finger when they hold it) that I was missing, so I've updated my model a bit more.

[​IMG]

38. Blackbirdcd

Blackbirdcd Well-Known Member

I found with vacuforming you can get better results with a negative mold, as opposed to a positive (like your current tricorder body). It means creating a negative mold from your tricorder body that you vacuum plastic into, but that way it doesn't have anywhere to go other than the actual shapes defined by the master mold. I did this myself when I created an Industrial Design model of a PDA years ago - the form was carved/machined into a block of MDF (sealed with layers of sandable primer and sanded smooth). The radius corners worked like a charm.

Hope that helps, love this tricorder design

39. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work!

40. phase pistol

Ah yes, the infamous semicolon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. Felgacarb

Thanks! - I'm afraid it will be a bit rough, overall...

Blackbirdcd- I think that vacuform pulling the plastic into a negative form sounds like a good way to go. But at the moment, it's a lot harder for me to make a good negative than a positive- and I don't have a vacuform table. (At least not yet.)

Phase- Semicolon?! I guess I just didn't want to believe I'd really seen that... (Thanks for the great pics!)

Here's what I managed to do in the last two evenings:

Pressed a new top shell-
    [​IMG]

and bottom shell-
    [​IMG]

Heated and rolled the edges under-
    [​IMG]

Cut off the excess-
    [​IMG]

Then went crazy with the front details- mostly accomplished by filing the heads of nails into little triangles, squares, circles and rectangles, cutting them short, and gluing them into holes drilled into the shell-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, started on some of the back detail- but that's all for tonight.
    [​IMG]

42. Felgacarb

This weekend, I've had more time for prop building, so here are some updates:

First off, I researched and experimented some more with a previously done 3D printed prop- It turns out, you can get the less expensive material (nylon) to take paint, if you primer the living daylights out of it... Using that material would drop the 3D printing costs for this project from approx. $400 to $150. That's almost starting to look tempting. It would still require a lot of finish work to make it look good, though. (And I'd need to do a lot more modeling to put all mechanical details inside to make it worth while- but I like modeling!) So now, I have an official "Plan C".

Meanwhile, "Plan B" is progressing: Here is starting the form for the screen hood-
    [​IMG]

Left and right side screen hood forms-
    [​IMG]

Initial hood pressing-
    [​IMG]

Pattern for the inner frame-
    [​IMG]

Bending the frame-
    [​IMG]

Hinge and fasteners for the opening front panel-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of drilling-
    [​IMG]

And the front and back are bolted to the hinges and frame with tiny #2 fasteners-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screen hood being glued on-
    [​IMG]

The back tube part in work-
    [​IMG]

That's where it is now. Lots and lots more to do...

43. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

Awesome progress. It's gettin there.

44. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

I love this kind of build! GREAT WORK!!!

45. Felgacarb

Thanks! -You do realize this is the 'glue tons of bent plastic together and hope you fill & sand it out at the end' kind of build, right?

Speaking of plastic, I got some more done.

Made a form for the sensor head-
    [​IMG]

And pressed the kydex around it-
    [​IMG]

Also did the 'inside' part of the head-
    [​IMG]

This is actually the first part that I felt really came out right. (Perhaps it is the only part that is truly suited to this kydex pressing technique...)
    [​IMG]

Some mechanical bits to get it to slide right and stop at the right spot-
    [​IMG]

Some LEDs and a plexigalss square- (Nothing is wired)
    [​IMG]

A coat of dark primer and a couple of quick pictures-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up: Days of filling and sanding! And thinking about electronics...

46. Felgacarb

I've gotten a bit more work done this week on both the "Plan B" Kydex tricorder, and the "Plan C" 3D printed tricorder.

The B has been patched, sanded, and had primer put on multiple times, and last night got what may be the final shell color put on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still looks like it will make a good carry case-
    [​IMG]

It still needs a lot of detail work, and the electronics. Those are being developed for both B & C at the same time. (Worst case, I can just throw in a couple of blinking LED's on the face if I get into schedule trouble.)

As for the C, it still looks mostly the same on the outside. A lot of detail has been worked through the inside- And It looks like having 3D printed would still be under $200 in this configuration.

[​IMG]

These give an idea of how it will assembled- It's mostly a snap-together! (There are two screws to hold on the electronics cover.

[​IMG]

Also of how the electronics will be installed. For this home build, the electronics will probably consist of nothing more than a lot of LEDs, a resistor or two to keep from frying them, a small battery and a switch. Most of that can be mounted on one board. (And most likely hand wired- I'll have to look into etching a real PCB and see if it is worth while for such a basic circuit.)

47. STpropguy76

STpropguy76 Active Member

This build is looking Great!!

Totally a fan.

Much better than mine..

[​IMG]

I talked to Richard C. and he told me that the ribs between the Pop-up and the body was most likely old computer cable that had been cut to fit and then glued and painted:
    [​IMG]

Keep it coming...

...............Jeremiah

48. Felgacarb

Yikes! Thanks Jeremiah!! I was wondering how I would do those ribs- that is a big help, and perfectly timed!

I don't think mine (at least the B build) will be better than your kit- but it should be good enough for banging around at cons and carrying my camera & such in.

I found some simple schematics for making different type of blinking LED set ups, and some PCB places that do low cost prototype PCB's and even give out free software to design the boards. So, I'm off to see if I can learn the software and layout my little board for the possible future C build...

49. phase pistol

Lookin good, carb! :cool

50. STpropguy76

STpropguy76 Active Member